Did I Get a Good Deal?

Discussion in 'Comic Books and Graphic Novels' started by Cy-Kill, Feb 28, 2006.

1. Cy-Kill

Cy-Kill Slackers unite...tomorrow

Howdy,

I recently bought a copy of Fantastic Four #50 (last part of the 3 part saga introducing the Silver Surfer and Galactus) off eBay for $20. Now, it's value is aparently estimated around $400 I guess, but keep in mind there's a few little tears on the front cover, a corner of the back cover is ripped about a centimeter, and the cover isn't attached to the comic. The cover is still is fine shape otherwise, and so is the comic, but obviously this isn't worth $400. I'm no expert at grading comics, so what do you folks think this is worth, and what shape it would be considered in? Keep in mind, other than the tears and the detachment of the cover, the comic is geat shape for 45 years old.

Also, I've been thinking of perhaps reattaching the comic to the cover with some clear double-sided sticky tape. Would this decrease the value of the comic even more? I realize this is probably a really dumb thing to do, but I'm no real comic valuer (I don't buy comics for their value), and the detachment does kinda bother me.

A little advice?

Thanks!

2. RabidYak

RabidYak Go Ninja Go Ninja Go

I'd say around Good-, i'd probably be in low to mid Very Good territory if the cover was still attached assuming that the pages arn't brown and the staples arn't rusty. I think you paid a fair price for it.

In case you have no idea, the grade pecking order is -

Near Mint
    Very Fine
    Fine
    Very Good
    Good
    Fair
    Poor

Theres no such thing as Mint in comic grading, anyone claiming to have mint comics is either a collecting noob or a CGC shyster.

Amataur repair is a big no-no, even professional restoration isn't liked in some quaters.

3. Cy-Kill

Cy-Kill Slackers unite...tomorrow

Thanks for the help! I knew when buying that it wasn't going to be worth $400, as I just wanted the comic itself and not for its value. I am new to comic collecting, and it's been like 5 or 6 years since I've boughten any.

I won't bother to do any minor fixins'. :) 

4. Lumpy

Lumpy Taylor Swift Action Master Super Mod

News Credits:
    thats so cool...the only big comic that ive got is deadpools first appearance....but i love him, so thats cool...

5. Wreckgar

Wreckgar Anthony Stark Veteran

News Credits:
    As long as you enjoy it, it was a good deal.

As for my favorite FF issue, I know someone who has Stan lee's personal copy of FF 1 graded at 0.4 by CGC. 0.4! It was torn, burnt, wet, creased, and even had tire tracks over it. Yep, he ran it over, on accident of course.

Oh, it does exist