Did hasbro miss the boat?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Terradives, Jan 21, 2018.

?

did hasbro miss the boat

1. Yes

26.5%
  2. No

73.5%
  1. Terradives

Terradives Well-Known Member

There is around 100 g1 transformers left that aren’t micromasters that haven’t been released with modern engineering. Back after beast wars he had hasbro reps implying g1 wouldn’t sell, we got several neo g1 versions like the alternators, rid, armada. They slowly came around. Third parties sprang up selling the toys hasbro refused to. The classics line was supposed to be a gap filler, but they”discovered” demand there. We’ve had hasbro reps tell us certain characters would not sell like sky lynx. Why have they not done a serious g1 reboot? This line has sustained 10 or so years of toys. So here we are, with around 100 total transformers to be re released and still no real reboot in sight. Can they re release previous classics characters like sunstreaker and sideswipe and launch media with them? Would they be successful doing that? Could they be successful selling new mold toys of previously released figures to support a media line? Has hasbro been negligent with this property?

2. Ikkstakk

Ikkstakk Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    For not being a G1 reboot, the Prime Wars trilogy has been a pretty kickass G1 reboot.

I mean, I kind of know what you really mean, but at this point a G1 reboot would feel a bit repetitive. Let's see something else for the next couple years after POTP and then maybe circle back around for a "proper reboot."

Also Hasbro really technically only misses the boat on actual boats. And even there we got a new Seaspray and Broadside.

• Like Like x 14
  3. Terradives

Sorry I meant a media reboot.

4. Arufonsa

Arufonsa Well-Known Member

I'm not sure what you mean. If you haven't noticed Generations I highly recommend it. It's a great toy line with a lot of updates to older characters. It's going on right now and hell you can even go to your local store and probably find them there. If you want something more high end I would suggest Masterpiece. It's pretty much the dream version of the older toys. It can be a bit of a wallet basher though so there is that. I hope that helps.

• Like Like x 5
  5. Arufonsa

Arufonsa Well-Known Member

ooooohhhh then I would suggest Animated or Prime. Both interesting takes on the original formula. Comic books are pretty good for that as well though it's a bit of a beast at this point as most comics turn out to be.

• Like Like x 5
  6. ssjkazer

ssjkazer mr dyslexia

News Credits:
    Over a 100 you sure my USA g1 cartoon list has 9 characters that have not got toys and 32 jap g1 that have not got toys.

My complete list last showed 120 toys left including micromasters though I count starscream as all forms including pretender so that might be where we differ or are you including g2 because that would do it

• Like Like x 3
  7. Ikkstakk

Ikkstakk Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Oh. I guess I didn't know what you really meant. In that case, yeah, I can't figure out why they don't do a G1 reboot. As well as the toys sell without a media tie-in, I have to believe they'd sell even better with one.

For whatever reason they seem fine with treading the same ground with toys, but with cartoons they feel a need to constantly reinvent. I wish they could get on the same page. Maybe they're trying to cultivate a new generation of kid fans with RID and whatever this is coming after it, and then when those kids are old enough to want better toys, they'll have double the audience for a good G1 reboot. I dunno.

• Like Like x 1
  8. smf2045

smf2045 Aficionado of Combiners

News Credits:
    Not sure what you mean. If you are talking about G1, Classics through Generations has been my "G1 reboot", especially through T30 and Prime Wars.

We've gotten figures that I never thought that I'd ever see done faithfully in a modern line, like T30 Metroplex, Springer, and Arcee, combiners like CW Superion, Devastator, Bruticus, and Computron, CW Ultra Magnus in full car carrier armor, a good CW G1 Megatron, and the TR gave us some redone Headmasters and triple changers, as well as Broadside and Seaspray for literal boats, a new Brawn, Trypticon and Overlord, and PotP has is giving us Dinobots, Terrorcons, more female Autobots and Predaking.

I honestly don't see how Hasbro has missed the boat on G1 stuff.

• Like Like x 4
  9. Booster Gold

Booster Gold Superhero?

News Credits:
    Ermmm...isn't rebooting (or at least rehashing themes, characters, storylines etc etc) G1 exactly what Hasbro/Takara has been doing over and over ad infinitum since the early 2000's? Unicron Trilogy, Animated, Prime, RID etc etc. The real question is have HasTak considered a proper sequel(or prequel) to the G1(and by extension Beast Wars/Machines) timeline?

Last edited: Jan 21, 2018
    • Like Like x 5
  10. fschuler

fschuler Post Count Inflated With Hot Air TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I assume you're talking about something more akin to the G1 shows? I've wondered the same myself and would like to see a full-blown Prime Wars series. It is a bit late for them to do that, given that we are 2/3 of the way through the Prime Wars toy lines and re-releasing those toys probably would not be a wise move since many who wanted them already have them. But as far as the media tie-in goes, I'd still like to see the show happen. I liked the CW and TR Machinima shorts, but they simply weren't long enough to flesh out much backstory or subplots. So, I think maybe they kind of missed the boat on that. One could argue that all of the shows that have come since G1 were reboots of sorts, but none of them really felt like the "remake" you may be looking for. I'm not talking about line-for-line and episode-for-episode remakes here...just something that looks and feels more G1 than everything that's come since.

• Like Like x 6
  11. Terradives

This guy gets it!

• Like Like x 4
  12. Windsweeper II

Windsweeper II Banned

News Credits:
    In that case. Yes, they have missed that boat.
    They have barely been marketing their Generations lines.
    Though that is of course a bit tricky, since they do need a cartoon aiming at the 5-10 year olds.

• Like Like x 3
  13. fschuler

fschuler Post Count Inflated With Hot Air TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    This is also true. I think it is possible that Hasbro not so much missed the boat as much as they decided simply not to get on it. In hindsight, it might have been a good gamble for them to have supported Prime Wars with a full-blown series given how well the toy line seems to have turned out thus far, but the question remains as to how appealing these toys might have been to the younger crowd. I've spoken with a kid or two while looking at TFs in stores recently, and their general opinion of the TR stuff is that it is cool but not quite what they are after. And its hard to say how much that opinion may have been different had there been a full-scale media tie-in.

• Like Like x 2
  14. BWfan86

BWfan86 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    You must be kidding - G1 has been rebooted over and over and over again with multiple iterations of G1 characters. "Could they be successful selling new mold toys of previously released figures to support a media line?" That's all they do! "Has hasbro been negligent with this property?" This is the most absurd thing I have ever heard

• Like Like x 1
  15. Murasame

Murasame 村雨

News Credits:
    Yeah, they totally missed the boat. Imagine what would be if Classics also had supporting media. Other than just the IDW comics. A real reboot of G1, as faithful to the original as the new Duck Tales reboot is faithful to the original cartoon. But hopefully not so stylized.

It's incredible that they made it 12 years without a cartoon. Just the toys.

• Like Like x 3
  16. Terradives

They have rescue bots. ;) . Seriously though when I was 8 the g1 show was great. Now I’d appreciate a more adult themed show more a la beast wars, but I would settle.

17. Terradives

Nope I’m not kidding. All of those versions really missed what I feel is the story. autobots vs Decepticons in an ancient war. They crash on earth. The war begins again. It truly is a testament to the cultural impact g1 had that it is still being imitated, but in talking an actual reboot. The toys have been able to sell for 10 plus years with no real media support. If hasbro really wanted to save money they should cash in on the potential of g1. Drop the aec, rid and prime bs imitations. You don’t have to pay shelf space and mold costs for those other lines.

• Like Like x 2
  18. BWfan86

News Credits:
    I can't tell if you are being sarcastic or not. If not, what do you consider War for Cybertron + Fall of Cybertron + TF Prime + TFRID (They are all in the same continuity - a continuity that has been active for the last 7 plus years!)

19. BWfan86

News Credits:
    See my previous post: 2 video games and several seasons of TV shows is pretty good support, IMO

20. DarkEyes

DarkEyes Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Don't understand this thread.

Are we pretending there is no Transformers Cartoon on TV since Transformers Classics line and no toys for these non-existent TV cartoons?

Are we also pretending there are no comics supporting toys sales?

• Like Like x 3