Diaclone Reboot KOs

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Discussion' started by Scaleface, Sep 6, 2017.

1. protohuman

protohuman Primus was a pander

Hey folks, sorry if they has been mentioned before but there is a product line of printable modular warhammer constructions called "warlayer." There are suppliers of the printed items which seem to interlock or glue together. Various artists have created assets with a space scifi theme in this scale and gaming terrain market. Someone told me their mini figure is the same height as a dia-naut. I picked up a pipe tower scene because of the black Friday 30% off deal this one joint is running.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2019
    • Like Like x 2
  2. Suntzu28

Suntzu28 Well-Known Member

Thank you for letting us know. I think Warhammer (and heroclix) was the gateway hobby many first experienced before venturing into other miniature scale properties . I created a lot of 30mm scale mini figures long ago because of 40k myself.

3. protohuman

I used to see the Warhammer setups in Hobby Japan when I was a kid and dream about owning a terrain. Was sitting around with my diaclones and was a little disturbed that they only have the kitchen sink and the coffee table literature to fight over.

4. Ozymandias13

Ozymandias13 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    You may feel rewarded by digging up a run of Dynamo Joe. This site is blocked for me at work but from previous perusals it should tell you everything you need: https://bpb.opendns.com/a/futurewar...2011/05/fwsforgotten-classics-dynamo-joe.html

I had a handful of issues here and there and dug them for what they were trying to be:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  5. Suntzu28

It's meant to be. I came across this title a few days ago (when i made "that post") and didn't follow up on it.

I will now.

Thank you.

Annnnnnnd it just dawned on me. The toy line STARCOM had some similarities when compared with Diaclone from an all around perspective.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
  6. wolfx

wolfx Well-Known Member

Yeaaaaaaap. I always regarded these as the modern japanese Starcom. I have been non-stop tinkering with these awesome toys, which is more than what i can say for most transformers.

• Like Like x 3
  7. protohuman

Starcoms were the toy holy grails between myself and my bro. We still have everything we acquired, in half decent shape.We played with them so often my family was on the look out for more, as my mother recalls they were harder to find in stock than all five matchbox voltrons.

• Like Like x 2
  8. ironscythe

ironscythe The Critic

News Credits:
    Sorry to burst your bubble, but Robotech, Voltron, and Power Rangers are all US adaptations of Japanese series (Macross, GoLion, and Super Sentai, respectively). Pacific Rim was directly influenced by classic Tokusatsu series like Ultraman and the Godzilla movies, as well.

Basically the idea of friendly robots at all began in Japan as it faced the growing industrialization post-WWII. It began with Tetsujin-28 (aka Gigantor in the West), and Tetsuwan Atom (aka Astro Boy).

Even mechwarrior/battletech was completely lifted from Japanese designs originally. Classic mechs were all illegally copied from various anime series in the 80s.

I know you mentioned Exo Squad, so I won't insult your 1990s knowledge too badly, but were you aware that there was a Battletech cartoon around the same time? It covers the beginning of the Clan invasion. It was also one of the first cartoons to make regular use of CG-animated sequences (not that they're much to look at).
    BattleTech: The Animated Series - Wikipedia

You can find the whole series on Youtube, if I recall. It's incredibad, and the toys are pretty garbo compared to Exo Squad.

9. Zoidfer

Zoidfer Well-Known Member

But from there on, dreams and imagination have taken us to space and beyond.:D 

10. Suntzu28

I'm aware of nearly all of this (the exception being Battletech being "lifted") but thank you for adding to the conversation anyway. During the time Battletech aired it wasn't on TV much in my area and , to be honest , I was chasing girls at that time. The lost toy years.... . I only really know Battletech from being in collectors circles , watching youtube clips of the cartoon and having handled some toys here and there. It didn't appeal to me because it felt more like a militia thrown together (the clan) than an organized military .

For the sake of conversation, the topic and reiterating my primary point ...a western take on a sci fi *military* focused theme is something that I don't think has been given much opportunity. Again...Starship Troopers + diaclone power suits is the closest concept in comparison to what I mean (it even includes an "alien / non human" enemy in the "bugs").
    I'm purposely trying not to be verbose and turn this into a TL;DR post .

Just add Diaclone power armor and mechs to this:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 4, 2019
    • Like Like x 2
  11. MEEEGGGAAATTTRRROOONNN

MEEEGGGAAATTTRRROOONNN !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

News Credits:
    Sina Visitor System

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

• Like Like x 7
  12. kingmob75

kingmob75 Kreon

News Credits:
  13. Suntzu28

I prefer more futuristic sci fi designs but i'll *never* say no to more figure fodder In this scale. I'll buy some when they are available.

• Like Like x 2
  14. wolfx

wolfx Well-Known Member

Interestingly Starship Troopers does have diaclone-like power suits.(in case some people don't know) The franchise of Starship Troopers has an interesting history, which was first a classic western sci-fi novel, turned japanese manga, turned american movie franchise, turned CGI animated movie series.

The manga had powered armour (which you may notice were used in the design of the Elemental suits in Battletech). In the 3rd movie (haven't watched it....looks b-grade) they had Marauder mecha suits. The CGI animated series had power armor which look way cooler and closer to the intent of the original books.

Japanese Power Armour
    Novel-poweredsuit-toy-revoltech-1.jpg

Marauder Suit ....
    maraudersuit.jpg \

...which looks very similar to the Type D
    type D.jpg

Power Armor (from latest CGI animated movie)
    powerarmor.jpg

Last edited: Dec 5, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
  15. KveTar

KveTar Well-Known Member

There's some series? What? Where?

• Like Like x 1
  16. Suntzu28

I recall watching the (extremely difficult to find at the time ) CGI series years ago and saying to myself "Now THIS is more like it!" when i saw the tech not shown in the cult favorite first live action film. Heinleins Starship Troopers novel is even closer to what I think would honor the Diaclone property than even the ST films . However ....Hollywood / "the West" hasn't produced anything like this which is why I said it hasn't been give an opportunity .

Aliens (the film) ..... the Colonial Marines with Diaclone mechs vs. Bipedal Xenomorphs (Waruder).

Give it to me lol

Exactly . It was damned hard to find roughly a decade ago and even then it was already a decade old. It's likely easier now . I was able to find it via "nefarious means". In fact ...perhaps I need to revisit the series.

The one I'm speaking of is titled:

Roughnecks: Starship Troopers Chronicles

The 2 animated films were pretty good too. One had a fantastic bridge defense scene IIRC .

Last edited: Dec 5, 2019
    • Like Like x 2
  17. Ozymandias13

News Credits:
    Second props for the Roughnecks cartoon. It ain't perfect, and the CGI is gonna be esp dated today; but it's definitely cool.

18. optimusmegas

optimusmegas Target-Power-Titan-Prime-Battle-Master

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    there's also a starship troopers japanese OVA series. it follows the book so it's nothing like the cheesy over the top propaganda we're used to from the movies and CGI series.

• Like Like x 2
  19. Century King

Century King Well-Known Member

Well, if you're looking for power armor in fiction, you may want to check out Joe Halderman's novel, The Forever War.

For anime, probably the best power armor-centric anime out there is MADOX-01. It's a one episode OVA with some gorgeous animation and some glorious power armor action. If MFT wanted to make a MADOX inspired mech suit figure, I would not complain.

• Like Like x 4
  20. Ozymandias13

News Credits:
    Which had a couple of excellent comics adaptations, although I don't recall much power armor in them.
    Amazon.com: forever war marvano