Device Label figures now shipping

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by GogDog, Oct 22, 2009.

1. cheetorBWORG

cheetorBWORG Cheetor Fan

News Credits:
    WRONG!

Tigatron and Ravage have a disc that installs on the computer and puts virtual representations of them on your Windows Desktop. They can do a few activities too.

So, you're paying like... 5$ for the Drive, 20 bucks for the figure and 20 bucks for the software. (Plus whatever shipping)

It's relatively safe to say you're getting what you paid for.

2. Bgrngod

Bgrngod Autocon

News Credits:
    Wait a sec.. these actually come with a disk when they could have just put everything on the USB drive? What the hell?

3. 0JazzMeister0

0JazzMeister0 Autobot Jo

News Credits:
    No no... there's no disc... the software itself is on the USB drive, so when you plug it in, there's an option for you to install it.

Once installed, an animated version of either Ravage or Tigatron will appear on your desktop, whenever you plug the USB drive in, and prowl the screen. Here's a screenshot:

[​IMG]

If you click on him while he stalks, he'll crouch and look around, then give a leap or two and a pounce. Now and again he'll stand and turn his head and kick his back legs...

Kinda cute...

EDIT: yes, my mistake, I hadn't played with it enough. Both cats are available no matter what USB drive you have. He can also roar and eat icons.

4. primal-convoy

primal-convoy Well-Known Member

No, all the software comes on the USB drive itself, plus English, French, Spanish (i think) and Chinese instruction manuals to install and run the software. EITHER character can be used on the software that comes with BOTH USB toys, so you can have Tigertron on your desktop with Ravage connected to it.

You guys are getting ripped off methinks. Amazon Japan had them for a mere 2-2,500 yen.

5. SiamGXPrime

SiamGXPrime Well-Known Member

Does it work on a MAC?

6. mizuki088

mizuki088 Well-Known Member

Can you download the software out?

7. 0JazzMeister0

0JazzMeister0 Autobot Jo

News Credits:
    According to the back of the box, the USB drive works with:

Windows Vista, XP, 7
    Mac OS 10.0.2

8. Mumble-bee

Mumble-bee invertebrate lurker

expected that the drive itself would work with any modern OS (what one doesn't), but what about the apps? are they Windows only?

9. BraveMax

BraveMax Used to speak Japanese

News Credits:
    Device Label Jaguar

Amazon Japan has them for 5800 yen. How, exactly, are we being ripped off? The median price on these (and I'm assuming the MSRP) is 3990 yen. Some places have them for more, some for a little less. $41 (the price CapturedPrey.com is charging for them, and what I'm personally paying) is not much more than the MSRP.

10. Lumpy

Lumpy Taylor Swift Action Master Super Mod

News Credits:
    that's exactly what i wanted to know too, and it looks like it does...i'm waiting for the aerial appendage upgrade to restock at BBTS so i can get these shipped together. i cant wait.

and i think the price is a bit high for a 2gb stick, but we're getting a cool looking ravage...if this had a US release, i'd bet it would be price around 20 bucks. japanese price seems fair to be about double.

11. MegaMoonMan

MegaMoonMan OFFICIAL MMM REP

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube (Old):
    Yay, screwed again on the preorder with TFsource. I go with BBTS, TFsource gets it first. I go with TFsource, BBTS gets it first.

I can't win. This is the third time in a row. I guess I should just preorder EVERYTHING with BBTS and just cancel if TFsource gets it first.

12. Lumpy

Lumpy Taylor Swift Action Master Super Mod

News Credits:
    MMM that's what i do...

except i've got credit with BBTS so i'm just waiting...

does anyone know how to take apart a USB stick? i want to take apart my 8 gig stick and put it inside Ravage...

13. ryan.j

ryan.j Well-Known Member

to be honest it *should* be a piece of piss, but most usb sticks aren't screwed together, they're fixed internally and/or glued which is a problem.

if you're just going to try to transplant the insides, i'd suggest finding out which hardware vendor makes the USB component and looking at their similar products - i'd bet any money it's a standard chipset stuck in there.

if anybody who's got one of these could get a dump of the drive's properties (you can use something like usblyzer or whatever app you prefer) then we could find out who made it and specifically what bit it is.

for example, this is a dump of my USB stick...

Code:
    Offset Field Size Value Description 
    0 bLength 1 12h  
    1 bDescriptorType 1 01h Device 
    2 bcdUSB 2 0200h USB Spec 2.0 
    4 bDeviceClass 1 00h Class info in Ifc Descriptors 
    5 bDeviceSubClass 1 00h  
    6 bDeviceProtocol 1 00h  
    7 bMaxPacketSize0 1 40h 64 bytes 
    8 idVendor 2 0781h SanDisk Corp. 
    10 idProduct 2 5406h  
    12 bcdDevice 2 0200h 2.00 
    14 iManufacturer 1 01h "SanDisk" 
    15 iProduct 1 02h "U3 Cruzer Micro" 
    16 iSerialNumber 1 03h "4320301DD6007AD4" 
    17 bNumConfigurations 1 01h 

so based on that we could find other products using the same stuff inside.

14. Pimpimus Prime

Pimpimus Prime (┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐) TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Don't plan on upgrading the storage. Most USB flash drives now use a system in package (SiP) module, which is essentially a small circuit board with the plastic shell molded onto and around it.

These are toys. If you want something to store files on, spend the extra $10-$20 and pick up a real USB flash drive.

15. lars573

lars573 Well-Known Member

This. It's as bad as the people who complained about ML Soundwave being a craptastic MP3 player.

16. GogDog

GogDog Logic's wayward son Veteran

News Credits:
  17. ryan.j

ryan.j Well-Known Member

i use a variety of USB sticks at work, i like transformers, a transforming USB stick pushes my buttons. you want a new ravage toy. is device label ravage intended more for you than me because it is a transformers branded product?

nah. they're USB sticks with legs and heads molded on - just because you think of them as toys doesn't mean they aren't for storing files!

there is a rather funky optimus prime bubblebath out at the moment, i want one because i like the robot shaped packaging, but he's still (optimus!)primarily full of bubblebath.

18. lars573

You miss the point. This is a toy that happens to have another, slightly useful, function. And because of that Tak/To put in the smallest cheapest thumb drive package they could find. Which is why it's 2 gigs. The whole of his electronics fit into the square section behind his head with 'con symbol on it. The foot print of where they could fit the actual drive components is around the size of my thumbnail. About as thick as the finder joint under my thumbnail too. And you got to consider that the USB connector slides too. Which also takes up space.

So like Music label Soundwave Tak/To took the most barebones MP3 player/thumb drive they could find. So they would have a small enough gizmo to then build a half decent toy around.

19. ryan.j

ryan.j Well-Known Member

No, i'm really not missing the point - of course it is in part a toy, but implying that unless you've got a 256gig flash device you're just playing at storing data is silly.

A cheap 2 gig capacity was a cost concession on an already overpriced item, not some kind of admission that this isn't a usb stick at all but a toy for toy collectors to collect. As far as the size goes, a 16gig sandisk cruzer micro looks like this..

[​IMG]

which is why i'm thinking a transplant could be do-able if you could find the right bit We already know it's a Toshiba from the software which narrows things down. Given how long it's been in development, i suspect half the problem is that technology outstripped the design process rather than putting in last-gen memory being part of the spec.

How much storage space do you need on your thumb stick anyway? i use mine for moving plaintext format files and images. The entire jquery JS lib is like 19k, meaning on ravage i could store over a hundred thousand copies of it - the extra storage transplant is more to satisfy the nerd in me than any burning desire to move DVD ISOs around :) 

20. lars573

Well Hasbro said it takes a year to develop a regular deluxe. So these device toys could have easily taken 1.5 years to 2 years. Which is a VERY long time for consumer electronics. So in 2007 a 2gig thumbdrive might have been the most cost effective way to go.

On your other point, I don't even use a thumbdrive. But 2 gigs isn't much if you got to move PDF files. Bloated ass format that it is.