Devestator's name - a decision by Bay?

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by CheetahDC, Feb 12, 2008.

1. CheetahDC

CheetahDC Well-Known Member

Okay, I was always under the assumption that Hasbro named him Devestator, but backed out of it and named him after a G1 tank instead so that the fans wouldn't complain, and the studio didn't get the note in time and there was probably a communication error. But someone is telling me that the name Devestator was in the final cut because Bay liked it. Is this true? How can he have more power over the names than the people who own the franchise?

2. Superion33

Superion33 Banned

I think that Hasbro truly has very little desire in these little details. They are a just a Big Corporation trying to get as much money for as little work as possible. The less time they have to spend on thinking of the name for the next robot, the better it is for them. They don't care that the name for a robot that turns into a tank should be the name of a robot that HISTORICALLY turned into a tank. I think they just slap a name on a robot and go with it.

This is also another problem I have with Bay saying the wrote the treatment/script. I can only imagine him misusing Robot's names and other objects from the mythos in the wrong manner.

3. dark_mullet

dark_mullet Banned

When it comes to the editing room he really has full control. And making him named Devastator is a simple case of typing it in the subtitles.

Regardless it's not really a big deal. It's just part of the bigger problem of Bay/Hasbro having bad communication.

4. Dolza_Khyron

Dolza_Khyron Well-Known Member

devastator is a better name for a tank then brawl

just saying...

5. transmetal2dinobot

transmetal2dinobot Sub-Commander

Ebay:
    just call him brawlastator, which in theory will either double or halve the confusion

6. Chaos Prime

Chaos Prime Combaticon

True Devastator is a better name, but if you're gonna call a Decepticon Devastator. Make sure he can cause devastation. All Brawl really did was blow a hole through a coffee shop and then die.
    I think Brawl is a little more appropriate for the big guy.
    Besides I'm still hoping that the real Devastator will be in one of the sequels.

7. SilverDragon

SilverDragon YEAH TOAST!

News Credits:
    *laughs uncontrollably*

I think I read that Bay called Brawl Devastator because "Devastator sounded cooler."

8. Julliant

Julliant This space for rent.

Yea. I really wanted a scene where, after tossing away Jazz from his initial charge and climb onto him, he unleashes all his weapons and the camera goes to each weapon. Won't be a challenge in CGI either, its just a couple of rocket pods, a machine gun, 2 secondary cannons, 1 primary cannon, some other guns elsewhere.

Then he'd unleash his full arsenal in a blizzard of missile projectiles, smoke and bullets. Ratchet would go 'oh crud' or something and everywhere around them stuff blow up and building facades collapse, then the Ironhide somersault commences.

End of fandream. :D  If the Decepticons couldn't be given any indepth characterization then make them awesome.

9. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Be strong enough to be gentle

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    Devastator's a more fitting name IMO.

Also, you could've run a search, tons of threads like these exist in this forum.:) 

10. Chaos Incarnate

Chaos Incarnate Not just a name.

News Credits:
    Well, the name Devastator was his name in the prototype script. Maybe it accounts for the mixup, as that was his working name for so long. Barricade was Brawl in the early script.

11. Smokescreen

Smokescreen The Ultimate Gambler

News Credits:
    Devastator does sound better than Brawl. The only thing is, now they can't really use the name Devastator if they have the Constructicons in the sequel. They'll have to come up with something else, because Bay won't use the same name twice.

12. seeker311

seeker311 The Collector

News Credits:

Um, yes. Where have you been? :throw 

13. Otispq

Otispq Elocution Onymous

News Credits:
    He's been in Bionicle land, check his postings... so all must be forgiven. :thumbs2: 

14. iamamachine

iamamachine colonyofcells

News Credits:
    Toys all say Brawl so the name is now Brawl

All the toys say the name is Brawl so most people consider Brawl to be the right name. Only a few or one movie person still thinks the name is Devastator. Effective names are determined by common usage.
    For the name of the combiner, Constructicon can be used as the name of the combined form.

15. Nevermore

Nevermore It's self-perpetuating a parahumanoidarianised!

News Credits:
    Devastator was the original working name.

Back in 2006, Bay confirmed at his website that this would not be the final name.

Then the movie came out and he ended up being named Devastator after all.

At BotCon, after the initial showing of the movie, Hasbro representatives referred to that name as a "continuity error".

The screenwriters, when asked at the official movie boards, confirmed that they considered it an error and had pointed it out in the editing room. Twice.

The only actual confirmation for this being Bay's call hails from an Australian fan named griffin-of-oz, who posted here at TFW that he had asked Bay about it at the Australian press conference, and Bay had said that he had always preferred the name "Devastator".

That's all we have.

16. Jeremy.B

Jeremy.B Leader Blackout LIVES!!!

News Credits:
    EDIT: this threade has been occuring for nine months. Does it really matter? Just saying, it gets old after a while.

17. dark_mullet

dark_mullet Banned

Yeah there's nothing wrong with him being named Devastator, except now what will the Constructicon Combiner be named if he shows up?

Darn it!

Personally I prefer Brawl. He seemed more like a fighter than a devastator.

18. Rodr-Evil

Rodr-Evil Anubicron TFW2005 Supporter

I don't care about Bay's decisions, Brawl is NOT Devastator!!!! that's ridiculous.

19. Lazerwave

Lazerwave My Most Prized Treasure

News Credits:
    Maybe he will get a new destroyer name like:

-Demolisher
    -Constructor
    -Mecanocon
    -Destroyer
    -Deconstructor
    -Machinonator
    -Giganko
    -Construtonator
    -Devastcon
    -Brawlbrawn
    -Buildonator
    -Canocon
    -Devastruticon

Sorry, those might be lame names, but they might work.

20. ArmoredSaint

ArmoredSaint Active Member

Nonsense. Brawl pinned down the humans, and it took the concerted efforts of several Autobots to take him out. He was more effective than most of the Decepticons in the film.