Heavy/Scratch: Devastator

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by SonOfNemesis, Oct 13, 2011.

1. jono83

jono83 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Wow, looks great

2. devastation

devastation TFW2005 Supporter

dude that would be great since barely anybody here wants to share their ideas.

3. noisemaze75

noisemaze75 Well-Known Member

dont get me wrong...its looks great man...this is just a design im really burnt out on.....almost every custom Devy looks like this....id just really like to see a new take no it...

4. Scotscream

Scotscream Total-con

Ebay:
    cheers,hope it does well on ebay for ya,im sure the super accurate g1 stlye will go in your favour,i did one like this as a commission a few months back,had to hold off on the details and shading ect but worth it in the end for a real factory look and like you say on your ebay listing,will fit right in the collection well!

5. SonOfNemesis

SonOfNemesis Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Thanks for commenting man!

I just wanted a toon accurate Devy with a simple connectivity feature :) , glad you noticed man!

Well, the cab actually doesn't connect to Mixmaster in bot mode at all. It's just set aside until it's needed for alt mode or Devastator mode.

Thank you :D 

Thanks Josh, come on over man, have a look for yourself :) 

Gentlemen, thank you!

I'll post up in a couple days. I actually wanted to do one for the winning bidder anyway. Also, ALL my connections were built with warranty in mind - if for any reason down the road a connector(s) fails (which is not likely) I can remove the connector housings and then replace the connector - like replacing a lightbulb it's so simple.

Well, I see your point. Thing is this is really the only blueprint we have since Ptitvite introduced it and Frenzy_Rumble perfected it. I don't have the ingenuity or time even to research how to make one of my own accord. Plus, I really like this design even if it's overdone.

Not sure who the cast guys were unfortunately. I've had them now for prolly a little over a year and after soooo many transactions regarding customs and transformers I can't remember man.

Thanks! Factory look, cleanliness, G1, and simplicity was my goal :) 

6. G60Force

G60Force World Smallest Mini-Con

Ebay:
    NP there :)  no offence taken.... I'm not even sure if I can pull it of, was just looking at this beauty and wanted to offer some help... no uber profits btw ;) 
    just the materials and shipping ... O and if the person gives me something extra for the effort... why not :) ...
    1things for sure I wanted to make an exception for SON :p 
    to send it overseas, since I might offer copies of the kit to dutch members only, since they can chose to pick the items up or have them sent real cheap

ON TOPIC:
    Your welcome :) 

7. noisemaze75

noisemaze75 Well-Known Member

oh dont get me wrong man...im not insulting you...far from it...it looks great....like i said...im just burned out on the design in general.....yours is fantastic...i was just generalizing man...sorry if you feel insulted...not my intention...

8. Nujevad

Nujevad Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    If Galaxy Convoy can have a flying firetruck mode, then a flying front end loader can be plausible. Also, the chest piece has a pair of cannons in the front, so they can be technically considered a weapon system, so I'm still correct.

9. Demonss

Demonss Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Except you aren't..

Remind me.. Where do the fists go?
    Oh right.. not part of any mode other than devastator..

My comment about the front end loader was that the accessories look dumb, and tacked on just for the heck of it, so not having them incorporated doesn't really feel like a problem to me. And certainly shouldn't be the cause for negativity about such clean paint work and such.

10. Nujevad

Ebay:
    You can leave the fists on the launchers, It may not look pretty in vehicle mode, but it can still be fired. It was even mentioned in the instructions that it can be done, so it's official.

As for my problem with left over parts, it just seems like something that should have been left behind in the days of G2, not in modern days. To my knowledge, all combiners after G2 were able to reuse the leftover combiner parts in some manner.

11. Demonss

News Credits:
    And when you put the fists int he launchers where do the missiles go?
    Your "problem" with left over parts assumes that everyone is hasbro and has time and money and skill enough to engineer the parts into all modes..

And for what it's worth combiners after G2 may have had all their parts in all modes but it leaves you with some rather silly looking hands and feet for the energon related combiners.. OR lack of anything extra in the ways of ROTF devastator, or heck lack of robot modes..

Being successful can require compromises.. And again the compromises chosen by the designer really pull of 3 fully successful modes..

Also I'm a big fan of when someone has such a nity picky problem like this.. Build your own.. lets see what you can do to hide fists and thighs and such.

12. Nujevad

Ebay:
    The missiles are just extra little pieces that aren't vital to any mode, they're just there if you want to have an extra "oomph" to your attack mode. If they went missing, none of the modes suffer.

The funky hands and feet or lack of extras in the recent combiners were either designed to fit a certain style or made to fit safety standards. Combiners like RID Rail Racer, BW Magnaboss or even the Micro Master combiners showed what could be done to with left over without compromising the overall toy.

Just because a person has a criticism doesn't mean that they should put up or shut up, otherwise, critics and reviewers would be out of the job. As for the leftover parts, it shouldn't be too hard for the customizer to think of something to do with them, since they could see the work that was done before and copy them (the Universe 1.0 Micromaster Devastator had a similar amount of leftover parts).

13. hXcpunk23

hXcpunk23 The Chaos Bringer

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    First, let me say that I love the build (have since Ptitvite first did his and pretty much laid the groundwork for all the great Devastators to follow. The paint apps are perfect and look factory! I'm a huge fan of your work, especially your paint work. The only thing I don't like about this is the disappearing cab on Mixmaster. I understand why it's done and I've seen it done similar to this many times. It's just a nitpick on my part and I'd love to see more that incorporate all aspects of the alt mode for him. I've been planning one out ever since Francis first showed his, so I'm looking forward to seeing a video breakdown on your parts and how you put it all together. I'm hoping to do a nice Mixmaster with cab on bot mode also--I just see it as a challenge, you know? lol

Keep up the killer work, my friend!

Now, onto the side topic rumbling in here.......Nujevad, I think you have every right to give good comments and criticism, but I also feel you need to lighten up a bit when others point out things in regards to your nitpicks/criticism. I can understand your hopes/wishes that everyone could just design something all-inclusive that has ZERO extra parts or pieces. In a dream world, we'd all be doing that as customizers. Sometimes though, depending on the build or design we're working on, we have to make sacrifices in order to achieve the look we actually want. As for these combiners, most (if not all) will ALWAYS have extra parts, whether they "transform" into something else or not. These are also based on the G1 combiners, of which most also had extra parts, missiles or not. I don't see a problem with having a combiner head, hands, chest plate, etc. left over (or even weapons of some sort). It's his custom, his design and build, and his thought process behind it. Also, I think Demonss would like you to not necessarily build your own, but give some ideas or tips on how YOU would make this better and have less parts hanging around. I always see guys like you (no offense) pop in and talk about how there are parts here and there and how it can be done better......yet you never finish explaining just HOW it could be done better, assuming you know it all, I mean (again, no offense or disrespect).

I'm just saying, if you feel it can be done better and seem to give the impression that you know how it might look better, please share. Your posts do seem to come off rather harsh and blunt, without much good commenting or idea sharing on how one might better their own work that you feel is "wrong" (for lack of a better term). I also feel you're taking this too seriously. This is a custom build, based loosely on G1 Devastator, with added parts. So what? Personally, I have always hated the add-on "weapons" that G1 Devastator had. It just didn't look right or fit (and yes, I've already seen your rant on this). I'm not sure why this is such a huge issue to you, but sometimes you have to give way to artistic license and interpretation. As mentioned, you could always try to build your "perfect" Devastator yourself, or at least share ideas on how others may improve theirs.

So if the extra parts are incorporated in some oddball way, you're cool with it and consider it incredible. That's basically what I'm taking away from your comments both here and over on the custom Computron by rosedjs. Good to know.

14. Nujevad

Ebay:
    I guess I've been giving too much criticism and not the constructive type, but I don't think this is the right place to discuss any detailed suggestions I might have.

In closing, the reason that I like it when all the parts are used in other modes is that it shows off the originality and creativity of the designer. I'm not saying that the work SonOfNemesis did in this custom is easy, but we've all seen something like this before and it's getting hard to tell them apart.

15. SonOfNemesis

Ebay:
    HXc, good to see your comments on my stuff man, thank you!!

16. SonOfNemesis

Ebay:
    Guys, I just want to say some things about this Devastator's build. It is a common design for Devastator to the boards yes, but it isn't for me personally. I've made only one other and that other one lacked much of the quality and especially the transformability that this one has. I also wanted to see this Devy in a cartoony G1 look (hint hint FrogDNA) and I haven't seen one that was nearly identical to the original cartoon series.

Regarding Devastator's incorporation of his combiner parts and whatnot, that never crossed my mind when I built this Devy, I was just excited to get this project rolling back then and I wanted him to be transformable and G1 looking (in color scheme) - my goal was accomplished. Leftover and un-used parts don't really bother me too much and I understand it bothers other enthusiasts but what can I say, for me it's not really a big deal. Plus to be completely honest, I prolly would have had a difficult time getting those parts to incorporate - I'm definitely not as skillful in that area as guys like F_R and Z for example.

So, I don't think this Devastator is overplayed yet. I would like to do another one perhaps and I know that other upcoming customizers definitely want to do one of these as well as I have had quite a few messages from guys asking me how to build this Devastator (3 of which I am currently working with - Bill, Frank, and Tim).

Thanks for all the comments guys :) 

17. frenzyrumble

frenzyrumble Banned

News Credits:
    SON, it looks great. all that matters is if you and the client are happy. I've NEVER had a request/commission for an "no extra parts" combiner. I firmly believe, in order to achieve good proportions in all modes (which you've maintained here) that 99.999% of the time the parts are necessary. Some don't realize that building in a garage or small 1 man shop, you make work what you have. I am sure it is possible, with hundreds of hours planning, hundreds in tools, supplies and resources someone could pull it off solo, but hell - even 3rd party companies (like tfclub) are showing us that you gotta have these "extra parts" although they have endless resources at their fingertips (software, engineers, high budget, etc)

but like I said, if you like it, and the customer likes it, then it's a win. (I like it too by the way, lol)

18. Demonss

News Credits:
    We don't always get along, but I 100% agree with you.

19. gwfalcon

gwfalcon Well-Known Member

Superb job, Zac! Truly awesome! I will try to show my support in bay.

20. Lt. Faceless

Lt. Faceless I'm a puppet

I like this alot.I like what you've done with Mixmaster.I'm working on a Devy too and am having the hardest trouble finding a good cement mixer.My only complaint is Hook's crotch,i don't know it just looks odd to me.Why didn't you put hooks crane on him?Awsome job dude.