Beyond Basics: IKEA Detolf - Leg Modification

Discussion in 'Tutorials and How Tos' started by Strife, Mar 7, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Strife

Strife Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I know a lot of people use Detolfs, so I thought I'd share how I rose them by 6 inches very easily. I strongly suggest doing this as it brings the top shelf more to eye level and allows for better use of the lower shelf.

So I'm putting this here to help people out, because the information I could find (and where I got the idea) was on old threads with broken pictures from another site. And instructions weren't great. This should make doing it current.

[​IMG]

This guide is for BOTH New Built Detolfs and Retrofitting old ones. I put my two old Detolf cases on legs from Ikea, and bought a third and put it on legs too.

The Legs
    The legs in question are 6.25" Ikea CAPITA legs. The Ikea Number is 102.678.95.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

IKEA Products Link

Be wary. CAPITAs come in multiple sizes (4 inch, 6.25, and 8 inch) and in two different finishes - stainless steel and white. Look at the Ikea website for each model's specific number. I personally think the 6.25" stainless steel (number above) goes best with Detolfs, though I have seen some people do this mod with the 8 inch before. Just make sure you have the right ones before you leave.

It's $14 for a 4 pack, which makes it extremely economical. The other Ikea options were a good deal more expensive, so these in my view are the best looking choice, for the perfect price. There is also evidently an 8" variant, but I haven't seen them. A word about getting these though: I did not see them on the show room floor. I had to go to the information desk in the warehouse area, and they got them from the back. So don't waste your time running around looking for them to put in your cart.

The Capitas are NOT made for Detolf. Detolfs do not have the pre-drilled holes for them at the bottom. They're made for the SEKTION system, which Detolf isn't. This means you'll need to drill 4 holes per leg (a total of 16 per case) to screw the screws into. You'll want a very thin drill bit, as you just need an entry wave for the pointy screws it comes with to enlarge it. This is not a big deal though. If you can handle a drill without poking an eye out, you can drill these four holes. It's that easy.

HOW TO INSTALL

For a new Detolf.

1) Take everything except for the glass of the Detolf out of its packaging. Take everything from the Capitas out of their packaging.

2) Assembly the Capita's base following the instructions: take the melta plank and put the plastic doughnut on the central screw where the leg attaches.

3) Find the BOTTOM Detolf plank. On the BOTTOM side of it (where the legs will attach), lay the Capita in the corner (with a centimeter or two of space from the edge). As you can see, the Capital legs mounting base is a rectangle, not a square, and has 6 holes on it. You only use four though, namely the 4 on the "square" part directly over the leg, and ignore the two on the "lip". I had the "lip" facing the back of the case (if it was a front leg), or the front of the case (if it was a back leg).

With a hand power drill, drill 4 holes.

[​IMG]

4) Do this for all 4 corners of the Detolf's base. When you're done, put the metal caps that the Detolf's grey wire frame screws into, into the holes per the instructions.

[​IMG]

5) Per the Detolf instructions, screw the wire frames to the capts using the wrech that comes with it.

[​IMG]

6) With the wire frame screwed into the caps now we are going to put the Capita's base in the corners. For this, use the screws that come with the Capitas and with a screwdriver, screw them into the holes you drilled earlier with the Capita's base in order to secure it. If you're wondering, the screw does not go through the other side of the wood, so there is no risk of it hitting the glass or anything on the other side.

[​IMG]

7) Once all 4 corners are screwed on (16 screws total), screw on the Capita's legs to the Capita bases.

[​IMG]

8) You're done with the modification. Follow the Detolf's instructions from here on out. It's exactly same, now just on a raised platform.

For an existing Detolf.

You don't need to entirely disassemble it.

1) Take out all your figures. Then remove the door and shelves and put it to the side somewhere.

2) Gently tip the Detolf backwards onto a soft surface (I used a heavy blanket) and lay it on the ground.

3) Modifying the above instructions (with the Detolf lying on the floor), drill 4 holes in each of the "top two" corners of the Detolf's base, rotate the Detolf's base (and hence the case) 180 degrees, and then get the bottom two. Just make sure you drill straight holes.

[​IMG]

Again, the screws never will come in contact with the glass, so you do not need to remove the glass walls.

4) Once the four Capita bases are on, attach the legs, stand up the Detolf again, put back on the door and shelves.

------

In my view, this is the best way to raise a Detolf. I considered other options that I've seen, like putting it on top of a shelf or other legs. However, in my view, this has the best clearance for making the bottom shelves more meaningful; it does not break the bank in the process or adds another piece of furniture.

I would suggest this for any Detolf, new or old. They really shouldn't sit on the floor. I really struggled with making the bottom shelves not feel like wasted space (such as raising a shelf and putting Devastator there). It's a very, very easy thing to do and made me like my 2 year old cases a heck of a lot more.

(the other modifications you may see in the case: - black weather stripping to seal the edge of the door for dust protection, U shaped screws to raise a shelf on the far right, both modifications from the Detolf thread!)

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 14, 2021
  2. Strife

Strife Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Pretty late reply (lol) but yes, they would be.

3. DarkProwler

DarkProwler Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I converted all six of my Detolfs over to use these legs after seeing your original post. One thing to keep in mind is that there are apparently two versions of these legs: 1 type is silver, the other is white. I didn't pay attention to what I was grabbing and ended up with one white set along with the other five in silver. Either way, they look really good with the Detolfs.

The Capita legs are adjustable, as they screw into their respective base plates. I have a set on one of my cabinets that refuses to level itself, so I have the front legs twisted out longer to level the case out. Still rock solid, even on carpet.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 14, 2021
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.