Describe Your Transformers 1 Theatrical Experience

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by YanderePrime, Jun 15, 2014.

1. YanderePrime

YanderePrime Autobot

News Credits:
    Well, in just a few days, Transformers: Age of Extinction (this is the most excited I've been for a Transformers film since the ROTF) will be gracing theater screens so I thought it would be nice if we all looked back to when we saw the first film in theaters.

I'll pretty much start off. It was July 4th and I had just finished 11th grade. I had been disappointed in Spider-man 3, Pirates 3 and Shrek 3 and it felt like the summer movie season of 2007 would be a letdown. I was just lying around watching a Planet of the Apes marathon on AMC (which would later become a Jaws marathon) when my mother and I decided to go to the movies. I wanted to see Transformers and she wanted to see Die Hard 4, but I ended up talking her into seeing Transformers.

I had seen the poster at my theater a year prior and had seen a trailer for the film during a Disturbia showing and had snatched up the prequel novel (which I read) and novelization (which I didn't read due to video gaming - I was obsessed with the game Threads of Fate at the moment). I also was going in without being spoiled due to not yet having a computer.

I will say, most of my experience with Transformers had been with Beast Wars, Beast Machines and Armada. I had seen the original animated movie, but it was never a big deal. As for the G1 cartoon, I never watched it until I got the Hub in 2010.

I admit, I didn't really expect Transformers to win the fourth of July weekend. I had expected Die Hard to rule but the first thing I noticed was the line waiting for Transformers. It was absolutely huge and we all poured into the theater room after the custodians had cleaned up. There were plenty of kids at the screening but also many adults.

The moment I watched Blackout transform in the military base, I was just in awe with the movie. I had seen plenty of special effects-loaded films but this was the first one that floored me since Jurassic Park. They just looked so real. I also knew my mother loved the film the instant the Transformers attempted to hide in Sam's yard.

The audience was also into the film, laughing and having a good time. So for me it was a great, wonderful experience.

Now, I've heard people say that every generation has their own personal "Star Wars" film series that they're in love with. Technically, mine should be Harry Potter. . but I kind sorta consider these films to be my "Star Wars."

So, how was your guy's experience with the first film?

2. Deathpool

Deathpool EREDEAN WINCHAEGER

News Credits:
    I don't really remember as I was quite young but I do remember I went back to see it at least 4 times.

3. RazorX3000

RazorX3000 Cybertronian Monkey

News Credits:
    I had no knowledge of Transformers when I saw it. I remember my older brother taking me to go see it lol! I was 7 when it came out, and I was just amazed at the cgi of the film! At the time I had never seen such a thing in my entire life. I remember after seeing the film I was obsessed with Transformers. But, yeah, lol watching the film was just an amazing experience for me.

4. moylan55

moylan55 Well-Known Member

Quite simply and no bullshitting it was one of the greatest events of my life. I went to the theatre 7 times and I've never done that with any other movie. Also another time I paid full price to watch about half the movie because it's all I had time for. Still remember how much I was just in awe of everything about it.

5. aman345

aman345 Well-Known Member

I remember getting to the theater on time but the movie was already playing. It was on the scene where Bumblebee fought with Barricade. It annoyed me but the rest of the movie made up for it. I re-saw it later that weekend and I honestly believed it was the greatest movie I have ever seen in my life. I wanna relieve all of that nostalgia with AOE minus the movie starting ahead of time :D 

6. caldo15

caldo15 Banned

News Credits:
    I was down in seaside heights new jersey. Went to see it with my wife and I dragged along a bunch of other people. While leading up to the movie I must have spent around $5000 buying the G1 figures. After the movie came out I sold them on ebay and tripled my money. I think I saw it 5 times in the theater

7. Autobots14

Autobots14 I'm pregant Trevor

I saw it when I was 7 with my dad and big brother and I was like woah giant talking CGI robots that fights and explosions and Megan Fox ;) 

8. Lord Person

Lord Person All The Critics Love U In New York

News Credits:
    It was..........................GODTACULAR !!!!!!

9. Novaburnhilde

Novaburnhilde シン・ブリュンヒルド

News Credits:
    It was a moment I'll never forget. :)  I was bursting with joy and excitement. I didn't care that Michael Bay's name was on it, all I cared about was the giant Autobot logo at the end. I was speechless, because I was really hoping to see a live-action Transformers movie someday.

But yes, I fondly remember my experience first seeing that trailer. I felt goosebumps, and part of me wanted to pump my fist, get up from my seat and cheer. If I wasn't so introverted and self-concious. :lol 

I've seen many great movie trailers, and personally, the first theatrical trailer for the first movie will be one of the most awesome Trailers I've ever seen for any movie. :) 

This was a nice idea for a thread.

10. fallen_revenge

fallen_revenge Movie News Addict

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    I remember my dad being really hype for the movie every time it had a TV Spot come in. I was THAT excited but it like cool (I was 10). I remember the day it came out calling my dad at work and telling him what time he will be home so we could watch it, lol. Later we went to my local theater and they where sold out so we went to anther one and that is where I watched it. When we left the theater my dad asked me in the car what I thought and I was speechless!

11. OptimusJet

OptimusJet One with the Matrix

News Credits:
    Yep line up was huge when I seen it and it was about 2 weeks after the release! I still remember Prime transforming and saying the "My name is Optimus Prime" line it gave me chills! haha

12. Autobots14

Autobots14 I'm pregant Trevor

I'm going to do a thread after AOE has came out all over the world to describe your theater experience aftter watching AOE.

13. agent j 15

agent j 15 My Girlfriend's Husband Fights For Your Freedom

It was the first movie my parents let me see on my own, so that was a big deal for me at the time-I romanticized silly little bullshit like that to keep myself from slitting my wrists with scissors (I was a fucked up little 12 year old). It was also really before I got as big as I am now into the franchise, so there was that to contend with-it was just another movie I might wanna catch sometime.

Sure enough, when I did, I loved it. Part of it was the thrill of being there on my own, feeling like an adult and all that-but a lot of it had to do with the movie. I actually really enjoyed the human stuff, but what I loved was the robot stuff-I remember having this little philosophical debate with myself over whether or not movie toys counted as real Transformer toys, or if it was just shit they made to tie in with the movie (again, fucked up 12 year old). My jaw dropped during the Mission City battle, I cheered during the ending-just overall a good ass movie.

ROTF was a little different...

14. Darth Maul

Darth Maul Sith Lord

News Credits:
    I remember I was 10 and I was wanting to go see Fantastic Four: Rise of the Silver Surfer (LOL), but my theater was no longer showing it, so instead I went to Transformers and it was a blast (will never forget the final battle and the Autobots arrival). I didn't really care for Transformers at the time, but this film made me a huge fan of not only the movies, but G1, Animated, Prime, BW, etc.

Before I saw the movie I remember watching Transformers: Armada and Cyberton, but I never got hooked with them because they would always be on like at 6:00 AM on Cartoon Network (I was too lazy to get up that early at the time)

15. Ring3r

Ring3r 5.0

It was a great time. I went with my best friend, we were both in the middle of college, and we caught the midnight showing opening night.

The theatre was full, every single seat, they had a raffle going, and they played a couple G1 episodes instead of previews. The room was too warm.

Annnnnd it was great. People stayed quiet during the film, they had the sound mix just right, and my friend won a raffle for the Starscream and Optimus "comet" toys that came out before the film.

I loved it, and he was floored. He'd never been a Transformers fan, and while he didn't think much of RotF or DotM, the first Transformers really got his attention.

16. Rusty24

Rusty24 Well-Known Member

I never saw the first one in theaters unfortunately, but I was blown away when I saw it on DVD on a large TV with surround sound for the first time.

17. Decepticons

Decepticons B∆K. Bug-a-Boo Ghost.

News Credits:
    I knew nothing of the Transformers when I went to see the first film and, at first, I dismissed it as something stupid (not because of the concept, but because it didn't really capture my interest; I hadn't seen many trailers for it, just TV spots). My dad encouraged me to go and I finally gave in.

When we got to the theater, just like you encountered, the line was incredibly long. The theater was jammed packed with tons of people. When I saw Blackout transform at SOCCENT, my eyes were glued to the screen afterwards. It was just so awe-inspiring and amazing. I became connected to the characters (most specifically Jazz, at first) and loved the Decepticons whenever they appeared (hence, my name).

The audience was enjoying the film, too, and had a fantastic time. I still remember people walking out and saying they're going to see it again. I told my dad I had a wonderful experience and asked if we could go again.

When I got home, I immediately looked up everything about the franchise I could find and even watched some G1 episodes on YouTube the following day.

Ever since, I've grown incredibly attached to the Transformers franchise. I'm literally OBSESSED with it. And, I'm not joking. I'd probably cry without Transformers today. It's that special to me.

Oh, and, apparently, my dad mentioned he used to watch Transformers as a child (G1, due to his age), but I soon found out that was a humongous pile of bullsh*t. Well, I mean, he probably did, but, yeah. I know much more about them than he does and he swore to me back in 2007 he knew a lot.

18. Primal1987

Primal1987 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Went to an early morning 8am show at the Arclight Cinerama Dome on opening day. Me and a friend spent the night watching some G1 episodes and the Movie in anticipation, so our hype was through the roof. We even took some pictures of the cars, as they were parked right outside the theater.

We saw the movie, and right after it was over, we were so jazzed by the experience, we went and saw it again in the same theater in the same seats that very day. It's the only time I ever saw a movie twice in one day.

19. MV95

MV95 @marlinfan1995 Veteran

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    I didn't see it until 2009... :eek: 

20. Timothy.R

Timothy.R Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    my goodness.. i didn't realize how many really young people are on here. wow.

see.. people can't dispute the popularity that transformers have gained from these movies.. whether it's getting new people into them, or reigniting a childhood passion, there's no denying that these movies have helped this franchise.

anyways.. i remember seeing the movie with my girlfriend at the time.. i remember that after the movie i felt that there was a LOT of robot screen time, but looking back i think that it was just my adrenaline talking lol.

but i definitely remember that it was the first time in a theater that i had ever seen or heard people cheering for a movie.. literally clapping and cheering when prime transformed and spoke for the first time.

it was a fun experience.