DEFORMATION SPACE DS-001 Crimson Wings(G1 MP Starscream)

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Discussion' started by williammmw, Jun 10, 2021.

1. Teletran-1

Teletran-1 Wellest-Known Member

News Credits:
    Where are you getting that curved lines are easier? You usually have to redraw a few times to get a nice curve. Straight lines are always easier, even in the 80's there was no issue drawing a straight line. I just quoted back your demand for credentials verbatim back to you, you asked.

Hasbro is primarily at fault for the quality of G1 animation. They had studios churning it out at ridiculous speeds to save money as always. I think animators have carried the G1 shame blame for too long.

• Like Like x 2
  2. SquishyOH

SquishyOH Done waiting on Acoustic Wave

DS does look nice, but I'd personally make some tweaks. Not sure if they can fix his knees being up so high. Same kind of problems that DX9 had with their Dragstrip. Knees should be more around halfway up the leg (unless they're going for a kinky boot look). His wings are pretty wide, but still not as obtrusive as KFC Stratotanker/Octane. Once again not terrible although a whole lineup of the DS Seekers are going to be banging wingtips. One of the things the animators often did was make all these characters look much more "compact: then they should have been. Maybe it saved on ink when animating?

Much of this would be too late to fix, but perhaps they still have time to fix the DS tiny head problem? Not as bad as Maketoys Meteor, but heads are supposed to be pretty big compared to your chest size. Sure animators try to make big bruisers look extra big by having huge chests and tiny heads. Here it looks just a shade on the small side compared to the rest of the torso unless you think Starscream is a big muscle-bound dude.

I know, I know, these are robots and not people. But they are people-shaped robots so when they're off it is noticeable. I really notice Huffer's shoulders starting closer to his elbows. In his case it is his distinct "look" and I like that FT kept that aspect as it makes Huffer very recognizable. I had not noticed any of the rest of these as being distinct Starscream attributes. At least DS is going for sinister smile on that face. I've got him on PO and depending on how much I like him versus what other colors DS/TE comes up with we'll see about getting more.

3. Fortynickel

Fortynickel Poors Extraordinaire

News Credits:
    1D263309-E31E-4CE6-AF92-B7A136183C8F.jpeg

• Like Like x 10
  4. mx-01 archon

mx-01 archon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Unlike a box of chocolates though, TFW2005 is usually more than 50% of the weird cherry liqueur ones that no-one likes :p .

• Like Like x 4
  5. Subotnik

Subotnik Please Stand By.

I personally define Line of Action as anything with a bloated torso, sensually curved biceps that glisten in the morning sun, and legs that go on for days.

• Like Like x 1
  6. David Hingtgen

David Hingtgen Chromaticon

News Credits:
    This pic was bugging the heck out of me until I realized it was a model.

7. mx-01 archon

News Credits:
    Do...do we need to get you a room?

• Like Like x 1
  8. Subotnik

Yes, but hopefully not one built by Takara. If they made it the door would keep popping open every time you close it.

• Like Like x 3
  9. Jaguaratron

Jaguaratron Well-Known Member

Are you trying to convince yourself? MP-52s plane undercarriage is terrible and certainly not a deliberate design choice, can I overlook it? Sure but lets call a spade a spade.

10. mx-01 archon

News Credits:
    It's absolutely deliberate. They already proved with MP-3 that a clean jet undercarriage was physically possible within the confines of that design. Wouldn't have taken that much more effort to design chest intakes that folded up, and feet that folded in more flush, with all the other stuff going on with MP-52.

MP-52s jet mode is 95%+ show accurate, undercarriage and all. The only real exceptions being how his elbows stick out as part of the "perfect transformation" armature for the Null Rays.

It's because the animation model for the Seekers' jet mode was wholly based on the G1 toy, rather than reference a real F-15. And chest intakes and wedge feet were just hanging out there, in all their unabashed glory.

11. Jaguaratron

Jaguaratron Well-Known Member

you are completely delusional, go and look at it, MP3 was design, this is side effect

• Like Like x 2
  12. mx-01 archon

News Credits:
    Look at an animation frame of Starscream's jet mode, why don't you? I'll wait.

That's precisely where that weird rectangular block covering the faux cockpit comes from, for that matter. Starscream's never had that otherwise, in any of his other renditions. Also why he has a faux cockpit in the first place, since the animation design for his chest doesn't match the canopy shape of a real F-15.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Easterburn

Easterburn Your friendly neighborhood Digibasher

This thread is the wildest one out there. it got everything covered from human biology to art.
    I currently studying animation so it kinda helps me a bit.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Turingmachine75

Turingmachine75 Has a wonderfully folded backpack

I just wanna throw out there that I had that book in elementary school. I’d draw the Line Of Action and the ovals with the hemispheres laid out for expressive faces and the truly artistic kids in class would ask “The fuck are you doing?”

• Like Like x 2
  15. ShmoopsMcGoo

ShmoopsMcGoo Well-Known Member

Weird! I had the same issue....sorta

• Like Like x 2
  16. Teletran-1

Teletran-1 Wellest-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yeah, I remember some of those how to draw books were pretty ridiculous

owl.jpg

• Like Like x 6
  17. gibdozer

gibdozer Love Gun

9f79860a-948c-4f54-aaa6-76c483755797.jpg unnamed (5).jpg unnamed (4).jpg
    Kind of. It's not very sleek on the toy though. To be completely honest I don't think the MP52 jet looks bad. I wouldn't display it at an angle where I had to look at the bottom though.

I don't like the robot mode at all. I haven't seen one pose where he looks powerful. I know that's "toon accurate", maybe that's why I hate it lol. The DS01 still looks like a warrior as does MP11.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Subotnik

Wow, look at that cartoon accuracy. It's uncanny! I can't tell which is which!!!

19. nomolos

nomolos Well-Known Member

All this line art talk. I'm over here like

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 7
  20. David Hingtgen

David Hingtgen Chromaticon

News Credits:
    Just my little contribution to the thread. :) [​IMG]

• Like Like x 13