DEFORMATION SPACE DS-001 SEEKERS (G1 MP Starscream, Thundercracker & Skywarp)

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Discussion' started by williammmw, Jun 10, 2021.

1. franpincho

franpincho NOT a FT Only collector

Sorry but there is.

HashTak OWNS the franchise. They own the MASTERPIECE (Trademark) line, so the scale gest set by them. That is a fact.

Agreeing or not with it, liking it or not, is a different story. We all have our wants and wish certain things look a certain way, It is human nature.

You may like your Starscream being as big as Megatron. That is fine. You have options. I'm not defending anything/anyone. I'm very happy with MP-52 and I think this figure looks great.

Just stating a very simple (yet very overlooked) fact.

• Like Like x 5
  2. Tekkaman Blade

Tekkaman Blade Professor of Animation

News Credits:
    All they did were a few tricks in photoshop, they either multiplied or embedded the line art over the stone and played with the opacity till it looked like it was etched in the stone.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2021
  3. nomolos

nomolos Well-Known Member

This thread needs more scale talk where everyone is absolutely sure they're right.

• Like Like x 6
  4. Ninjahandz

Ninjahandz Well-Known Member

Hastask owns the scale??? Do you hear how dumb you sound saying this? You are not talking about likeness or trademarks, you are talking about the distance from one’s robot head to anothers robot chin and you claim Hastask owns that. What the duck are you smoking?

• Like Like x 5
  5. tabtiurf

tabtiurf Chimeracon

Sure, I'm game. I've never been happy with the size of any of the MP starscreams, and it's not about scale. I just like big toys more than small toys. The MMC tapebots are undeniably too big for the other MP toys, but they're infinitely superior in and of themselves. I would 100% throw all my autobot cars in the woodchipper right now if I could get all of them the same size as the DX9 stunticons, and I'd be quite happy if every decepticon ever could match up to match my FT motormaster and zeta onslaught.

So no, I'm not going to point to any particular scene from the arbitrary, inconsistent and error-prine cartoon and say "YES THIS AM THE ONE TRUE SCALE!" because that just doesn't exist and would be meaningless even if it did.

But I am going to say, for me, all things being equal, big toys are better than small toys and I'm really excited to get a starscream that maybe, just for once, won't feel dinky and disappointing.

• Like Like x 1
  6. REDEEMED

REDEEMED Hold on to your innocence

Ebay:
    I’m not disagreeing with you.
    But all your really saying is HasTak can’t break the rules, ever. Because they make them. And if that’s all that really mattered, the only factor in the eternal scale debate,
    You’d be right

• Like Like x 1
  7. franpincho

franpincho NOT a FT Only collector

They set the scale for the MP line. The MP line is theirs. No one said anything about "owning" the scale. That shit is not even something anyone can "own".

I DO NOT like some decisions they make when it comes to it, but it doesn't matter. They set it and that's that. It's good we have options uh?

And I mostly do Cigars now. Prices vary from very affordable to sometimes Blue label type of pricing.

Well, it is all that matters when it comes to the OFFICIAL MP SCALE. Could they break the rules? What rules? Scale rules?

They set it. That's it. That is all I'm saying.

We got UM handling constructions like toys on one episode. We all know that is ridiculous. Could TT break the rules and have that as a standard? Sure. Are they that stupid to do so? Doubt it.

They have set a scale (do not confuse it with aesthetic - which they also SET) since MP 10 became a thing. Some like it, some don't. It doesn't matter, it is what it is. It is what they set.

I like my combiners the way 3P has make some of them (pants-wearing, 20-inch monsters).

That is not, however, the official MP Combiner scale. It hasn't been set yet.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2021
    • Like Like x 4
  8. corduroy

corduroy Well-Known Member

This is so crazy

9. HeroicVillain

HeroicVillain Well-Known Member

Well they're posed, but they are all lifted horizontally where they don't push the wing back. Looking at them all tho, I'm sure you can just move it back closer to the sculpt after you've moved the arm like you can the Maketoys Seekers.

As far as the scale chart, I agree with Franpincho. Like what you like, and I'm glad another option is coming that is taller than MP-52, but HasTak does indeed set the scale from the Rainbow chart, and that is the scale they were supposed to be on the show, even if they weren't always portrayed that way. It's not hateful, it's just what it is.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Liampope

Liampope Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Lol! All he's saying is Takara owns the brand, so their take on scale is essentially canon. Doesn't mean any fan has to like it, or any 3P has to follow it, nor even do Takara themselves have to follow it. Just a true statement.

• Like Like x 8
  11. Convotron

Convotron Well-Known Member

This is certainly putting the cart before the horse but I'm curious to see how DS will handle retooling the design for the Coneheads.

12. REDEEMED

Ebay:
    Yes that’s right. If we are speaking about Takaras own MP line.

which I wasn’t. I was talking about Sunbows scale chart vs. portrayals of characters in the original animated series, and the representations of these characters through third party companies.
    All I’m saying is that from episode to episode it wasn’t uncommon for certain characters to fluctuate slightly in size.
    And if we are talking about an authoritative scale chart that needs to be adhered to, just drums on the same tune of the eternal scale debate.
    I am in agreement with everyone else in that, like what you like for the reasons you like it. I’m glad we are all in agreement there and that, like you said. It’s great that we have more than one option. Even if we didn’t. I wouldn’t feel poor and miserable because my favorite bot is a little too short or too tall.
    It’s quite trivial to me, and that’s why I made my original post. Perhaps that wasn’t clear enough

• Like Like x 1
  13. Darkprime

Darkprime Antigrav Singular Destron

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I'm late to reading this thread, but I was surprised to see the hate for this figure's scale. I think it's spot on, and my two biggest gripes with MP-52 was the color being way too dark and it seeming too small for starscream. Then again, I liked how MP-52 scaled with the carbots, but I wish they too were a little bigger in bot mode. We just can't win them all.

• Like Like x 4
  14. REDEEMED

Ebay:
    On a side note. My MP-52 just showed up and it looks amazing. Lots to love about it. The phony cockpit doesn’t look as bad as it photographs. The one thing I thought I couldn’t live with but after seeing it in hand it’s not that bad after all
    Looking forward to getting the DS now to see how they compare.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 25, 2021
  15. bri888

bri888 bte888

Ebay:
    DS Crimson Wing
    Pros
    Has a waist swivel
    Has all the articulation you could ask for.
    Height is more "accurate" to what we see in the cartoons
    Better looking silhouette

Cons
    Ab crunch looks messy

MP52
    Pros
    Has a cool looking ab crunch
    Excellent articulation for the shoulders
    Cleaner design for the torso
    Height is more "accurate" to the scale chart

Cons
    Looks a bit too short
    Looks a little too fat (side view)
    No waist swivel (35 years of starscream toys and they still can't figure it out)
    Looks too campy

• Like Like x 3
  16. Michael Norman Richardson

Michael Norman Richardson Starcracker23

My only regret is that he will be taller than shockwave hopefully he is the same height as soundwave

17. Starganderfish

Starganderfish Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yep. This right here.
    It's great that some folks adhere to the TAKARA MP scale, but that is not the only scale out there.
    FansToys have their own MP scale (as evidenced by the heights of their Hot Rod, Arcee and Kup).
    Toyworld have their own scale (based on their Seekers and Coneheads).
    Folks who choose to limit themselves to Takara figures are free to do so.
    Those who wish to limit themselves to the Takara MP Scale are also free to do so.
    But just because it has Takara's brand name attached doesn't make it somehow "right." If Takara's sticker on a box automatically made the product inside "correct" we would have to abandon the long-standing canon of what characters such as Nightbird look like, and accept that she was just Arcee in a poorly made Halloween costume. Takara ain't infallible, their word ain't law, and just cause they stick their logo on the box, doesn't mean it's "right". Maybe right for some collectors, but its ain't right for everyone.
    Me? I like DS's height.

• Like Like x 7
  18. tabtiurf

tabtiurf Chimeracon

that's mp shockwave's problem. He's a dinky dinky boy.

• Like Like x 2
  19. Magnusfan Nujevad

Magnusfan Nujevad Well-Known Member

MP-52 may have a better looking ab crunch, but the look of the abs when not crunched looks worse than DS. Also, while some may debate the cleanliness of the back, its side view is quite messy.

• Like Like x 1
  20. shiin

shiin Well-Known Member

I'd buy that.