Deciding between Fansproject Severo or Planet X Vulcun for CHUG Grimmy

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Discussion' started by trence5, Dec 16, 2019.

1. trence5

trence5 Well-Known Member

Except for Slash, I don't have any of the major Dinos in my ensemble. The Hasbro ones are too small for liking so I'm between the leading 3rd party ones Fansprojects Severo and Planet X's Vulcun I'm looking at. Right now the Fansproject Severo I can find a bit cheaper but if I've always like the look of Vulcun - juuust a bit more.
    So who did any of you pick? And for those that have or have had both, who did you prefer out of the 2?

Thanks.

2. Matrix1981

Matrix1981 It's Hot Rod's fault...

I have Severo and his pose-ability sucks. Also his dino mode looks more like a raptor (IMO) than a T-rex

• Like Like x 1
  3. mikeszekely

mikeszekely Not Pessimus Prime

Ebay:
    I have both. I'll try to get some comparison pics later. Vulcan has a much better dino mode, but I like Severo's robot mode, so it's kind of a toss up.

• Like Like x 2
  4. twelvesam

twelvesam Animated Jumpstarter

Ebay:
    Big Vulcan fan... that dino mode is everything I want it to be!

• Like Like x 1
  5. peddlerofwine

peddlerofwine Starscream's Robot Gun

Vulcan!

• Like Like x 1
  6. Beta Maximus

Beta Maximus Well-Known Member

If you are dropping some serious cash in a full set, the zeta toys design is ok from what I've seen of the individuals. The combined mode is a mess.

• Like Like x 1
  7. boomerdave

boomerdave Owns three Ditka figures. O_o Veteran

Don't have either but I do watch a lot of reviews and everyone who has done one for the Vulcan loves it.

• Like Like x 1
  8. DracoPrimal

DracoPrimal Nomenclature Nominator

I have Severo DX, dont have Vulcun... but I am confident in the following:
    Vulcun: dino mode and conversion are amaze-balls, nails the FoC game look in both modes
    Severo: usually cheaper than V, fits better in a CHUG aesthetic as an original take (imo), same height as rest of his team (if that matters to you), amd yeah dino mode is kinda hard to appreciate with the acrocanthosaurus having "child-bearing" hips and tail... but where Severo shines (esp. The DX ver.) is the ACCESSORIES. Classic red sword, crown, throne, dual BFG's, and big hammer mini figs.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Beta Maximus

It's also worth noting, MP 8 is basically the prime wars leader class height. Depends on personal scale.

• Like Like x 4
  10. trence5

looking forward to it :thumb 

MP 8. forgot that one. What other Dinos are you using to go with him if you have any of the others

• Like Like x 2
  11. Lbsammills51

Lbsammills51 Known Member?

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Strictly between the two, I think Vulcan's objectively the better figure, and I say that as someone who owns and likes both, and would absolutely buy a G2 blue Severo if FP were not in whatever purgatory they've fallen back into.

That said, I think part of the answer also lies in if you planned on getting any of the other Classics 3P Dinobots, and if so which group you preferred. If you preferred FP's or PlX's group as a whole, I'd lean toward that group's Grimlock for consistency's sake among that group. If you were thinking of mixing and matching, or legit didn't care about the other Dinobots, I'd say buy whichever Grimlock you prefer.

• Like Like x 2
  12. Beta Maximus

Oh I don't have him, I got the fp dinobots with the metallic Vulcan, the colors match better. But I looked into this before I bought and I'm pretty sure MP 8 is the same height as CW ultra Magnus.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Beta Maximus

IMG_20191213_124238.jpg

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 4
  14. Bob Schoonover

Bob Schoonover Poorly-Known Member

News Credits:
    I have both. Slight preference for PX Vulcun. He's so solid. If this is your first dip into the Dinobots water and you'll be filling out the rest of the team, it's worth noting that the FP Dinobots are all basically the same height, whereas the PX ones vary a lot (with Swoop being the size of a Hasbro deluxe figure). Both groups come well armed, with the FP ones also having the melee masters (who I think are cool added value, but they're also of varying quality as figures in their own right).

• Like Like x 2
  15. trence5

Arrrgh you killin' me with that image man.

I actually plan to mix and match like my man's image here. Only problem I would run into is Sludge. Thought sure I read somewhere he was like the muscle of the group.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2019
  16. bri888

bri888 bte888

Ebay:
    Vulcan of course. Better poseability on bot mode and that alt mode is the best you can find from any transformer 3rd party or official.

• Like Like x 1
  17. trence5

Wow, Vulcan seems to be winning by a landslide.....

18. xueyue2

xueyue2 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Best CHUG Grimlock is actually MP08.

• Like Like x 1
  19. mikeszekely

mikeszekely Not Pessimus Prime

Ebay:
    Ok, here I go.

First, here's everything I'd consider an option for a CHUG Grimmy (except GCreation's, which is a similar size to MP-08 but meaner-looking and more of a pain to transform).

[​IMG]

While a case can be made for almost any of them, I think most of us would agree that Classics and Power of the Primes are on the small side. And while I'm not going to tell anyone using ToyWorld/Zeta, CGreation, or MP-08 that they're wrong I personally like the size of Severo and Vulcan better.

[​IMG]

As far as accessories go, Severo definitely has more. Maybe too much more, because if I'm being honest I really just want a gun and a shield. With the standard release you'll get everything in the top of the below picture: a sword, a G1-ish rifle, two gatling guns, a little dude, and a stick. The dude and the stick combine to form a mace. If you get the deluxe version you'll get a second dude that makes the mace more of a hammer, and a throne for Severo to sit on. Vulcan comes with a sword and shield, which is accurate to the Fall of Cybertron game, but personally I'd trade the shield for a gun.

[​IMG]

Aesthetically I prefer Severo in robot mode. His head is more traditionally grimlock, and while they did some goofy stuff with his wings they're at least kind of there. Grimlock just doesn't look like Grimlock without his wings, at least to me.

Severo's articulation is a tad limited by modern 3P standards. However, I don't really think of Grimlock as an agile character who needs to do high kicks or whatever. I think Severo's articulation is adequate to get some good poses, especially because his wrist can bend down, which is great for some sword poses.

[​IMG]

Of course, you can get some good poses with Vulcan, too. His articulation is what I'd consider to be average.

[​IMG]

Both figures can store all their accessories in robot mode. Severo uses his hip to store his sword, then peg holes on his wings will allow him to store the mace, rifle, and gatling guns.

[​IMG]

Vulcan's sword can attach to the shield, and the whole thing can be mounted onto his back. Or, like Severo, he can wear his sword on his hip.

[​IMG]

When it comes to dinosaur mode, I do appreciate Fansproject's attempt to give Grimlock a more modernized alt mode that better reflects our modern understanding of T-Rex's anatomy, with a more horizontal body, accurate three-toed foot, and accurate dino ankle ankle & dewclaw. But his too-long back and neck are sort of permanently arched, and his tail is quite stumpy.

[​IMG]

Vulcan is the clear dino winner. Like Severo he's got that extra dino ankle, but he's rocking better proportions with a thicker torso, shorter neck, and longer tail. And through some slick engineering Vulcan has better dino articulation to boot with a head that can look left and right in addition to up and down, plus hinges in the tail that allow it to curl.

That engineering does come at the expense of Vulcan being slightly more complex to transform. Although, aside from one serious clearance issue that forces you to bend the plastic armature Vulcan's tail parts are on neither are actually difficult.

[​IMG]

If it matters, both do have dinosaur-mode accessory storage, although I couldn't find a place for the mace on Severo.

Now, as others have said, Vulcan is probably the objectively better figure. It's solidly built, has slightly better articulation in robot mode, and handily has the best dinosaur mode. It may or may not matter to you, but it's also the more expensive option. I bought a used one for around $80, but it looks like he's currently retailing for around $120-$130. And, for all his flaws, as I said before I like Severo's look better, and I think the style fits better with Siege than the Fall of Cybertron style Planet X uses. So I have Vulcan on display by himself in dino mode at my desk, but I keep Severo with my Siege figures. Best of all, Severo's a much cheaper option. His retail price is around $90, but TFSource will regularly put him on sale for $40 or less.

• Like Like x 16
  20. Robogeek28

Robogeek28 Proud grandpa

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    You're making me want to grow my Grimlock collection now. :lol 

• Like Like x 3