Decepticon arrival in Bumblebee doesn't work for me

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by electronic456, Nov 26, 2019.

1. electronic456

electronic456 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    So I've been thinking about the moment Shatter and Dropkick arrive on Earth in Bumblebee and why I think the scene where they deceive Sector 7 doesn't work for me.

So going back to the scene where Shatter and Dropkick land at the gas station; they land with a boom. At that time, there were two humans there arguing about getting a divorce because the guy 'unsucessfully' tried to sleep with his wife's sister. (Kinda funny line by the way)

The two Decepticons destroy the guy's vehicle and basically 'crash-scan' what they find. They take their time to observe their surroundings and then Dropkick sees the guy and pops him (his line was funny by the way).

Surprisingly they leave the woman alone which is bizarre. And that's where the problem starts for me. You see... Shouldn't a news report/media follow up on this. Unless this is not a thing during the 80s.

'A local gas station in this part of America blew up with only one woman being the witness.'

Now I would think the woman would also be interviewed saying she saw two robots with one looking red and the other blue. And then follow up on how the blue one killed my husband.

And if that happened, the whole scene with the Decepticons meeting Sector 7 would feel so much dumber if a news report like that actually made it to them. There's no way you should trust the two if they have that knowledge.

There's a few more story points that I could argue but this one was kinda big for me. Sorry for hurting the feelings of some people out there. Things like this prevent me from saying Bumblebee is amazing.

• Like Like x 5
  2. TheSoundwave

TheSoundwave Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Well, local news stations would probably just assume she was lying about aliens. Most news stations probably wouldn't run a story like that as fact. They may have just assumed she was crazy, and blamed the fire on her. That's if she even told them the truth. Maybe she realized it sounded phony, and she just told the news that a neighbor did it or something. It could be that the local police were still investigating the situation. Considering the movie seems to happen in the course of a few days, the news may have just not reached Sector 7 yet. That's very likely if the local police didn't treat it as an alien-related indecent.

• Like Like x 3
  3. AutobotAvalanche

AutobotAvalanche Number One in Boogieland Moderator

News Credits:
    "Local woman blows up gas station to kill unfaithful husband, sent to upstate institution after blaming it on 'giant alien robuts'."

• Like Like x 14
  4. Prime Red

Prime Red Banned

I want to read that article right now.

• Like Like x 2
  5. electronic456

News Credits:
    Well Bumblebee and Blitzwing have arrived beforehand so the woman might actually have a little more creditibility.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Furnace

Furnace Ant-droid at a picnic

But why did the Decepticons just leave that woman alive? I mean sure, it’s just one fleshling, but you’d think for a stealth mission they’d want to eliminate any witnesses.

• Like Like x 2
  7. Music

Music Primetimus Prime

News Credits:
    YouTube:
    The only ones who witnessed that was S7 and obviously they're not going to tell the world that. Plus, "alien sighting" reports have been a thing forever now so not sure why would everyone would start believing this random lady.

Considering they literally presented themselves to a high ranking military group, this was definitely not a stealth mission.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Furnace

Was that always the plan though? I thought they made it up on the spot after running into the military blockade. Then again, I could just be misremembering things.

• Like Like x 1
  9. TheSoundwave

TheSoundwave Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    True, but that's only if news of the gas station incident reached Sector 7. Local police officers and news stations probably don't even know who Sector 7 is, so they can't just call them up. Sure, that news would reach them eventually, but it would have to go though a lot of different levels of authority. That could take days, or even weeks. Especially if it was initially dismissed as a hoax. By the time someone realized "hey, this alien thing looks legit, maybe we should take it to someone higher on the flagpole", the events of the movie might have been long over.

Also, with Shatter and Dropkick monitoring basically every means of communication, they could have been blocking that news from reaching Sector 7.

10. Music

Music Primetimus Prime

News Credits:
    YouTube:
    Maybe it was made up on the spot (so you're right actually), but still, it didn't really feel like a stealth mission as nothing they did conveyed that. Once they landed on Earth, Dropkick and Shatter were causally conversing with each other. Also later on, Dropkick was saying how he wanted to blow the planet up.

11. Furnace

That's true. Shatter and Dropkick were rather more causal about the whole affair, which was really fun. It's a shame the two were killed off so soon, they were probably the most enjoyable new Decepticons since Lugnut.

• Like Like x 3
  12. electronic456

News Credits:
    Not saying everyone would believe her but S7 could have at least been more skeptical.
    Plus that S7 would be less terrible by not being that secretive.

If they cut off satellite signalling then perhaps that would make sense. It just felt like there were moments in the movie that were contrived.

• Like Like x 1