1. Of note - we are in the process of upgrading the site to use HTTPS / SSL. In that time, you may be logged in/out depending on what area of the site you are looking at. If you want to be logged into the forums, please log in via https://www.tfw2005.com/boards/login/. If you do that, you will not be logged in while looking at the front page. We hope to have this fixed within the next 24 hours or so.
    Dismiss Notice

Customs: Decapitating Magnus...

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by Nerroth, Sep 13, 2007.

1. Nerroth

Nerroth Alea iacta est.

News Credits:
    Wow, with a thread title like that, I sound more like Galvatron!

Anyway - I'm moving this from the relevant Feedback thread.

Basically, I got Titanium G1 Magnus today - and already did the thigh-swap thing - but I was shown Don's (blurry) pics of a chopped-up Magnus, with the head attached to the removable cab, rather than the trailer as it is when it comes in the box.

According to Don:

I think I figured out how Don did it.

Not only do you cut the head joint off - you have to disassemble the cab, switch the connecting piece between the main cab section and the aft cab (to make the flat, not-exposed side face upwards) and glue the head join onto that. By far the longest part of the cab-altering was trying to take off one of the cab sides - I had to keep twisting it and twisting it to get it to come off, and twist it some more to get it back on once I switched the joint around!

Cutting that head-piece off took forever, though. I cut into it with a Stanley knife about 1/4 the way, then used large pliers to literally screw the head-joint off of its mounting!

This is how I can get it so far:

[​IMG]

I'll probably need to pin the head-joint onto the mounting later on - otherwise the glue won't be strong enough to stop it from falling off when I want to rotate the head.

Which I might need to do when transforming him.

Sigh.

Any ideas?

2. onesock

onesock Banned

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    All you had to do was switch the head platform onto the cab pin. No glue should've been involved. :lol 

3. Nerroth

Nerroth Alea iacta est.

News Credits:
    I'm not following you.

The head platform is part of one piece, to which the blue chest-thing is also attached to.

And the lengths of plastic are different at the pin for the chest to the pin for the cab.

As an aside, I have holes in the head-joint and the connecting piece - but I need a thicker metal piece to pin them together...

4. onesock

onesock Banned

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    The plate the head is on is held by a pin. You take that pin out, and move the plate to the pin in the truck. Atleast, that's what I've heard.

5. Nerroth

Nerroth Alea iacta est.

News Credits:
    It is not like that.

The plate the head-piece is on is connected to the trailer by two screws, and has a pin connecting it to the blue flip-up chest thing.

No pin runs through where the actual head-piece sits.

And that plate the head-piece is connected to cannot go anywhere else.

The head piece has to be cut off, if it is to be moved...

6. Nerroth

Nerroth Alea iacta est.

News Credits:
    I've pinned the head on with a thicker piece of metal, and a tiny bit of green stuff - and this is the result!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The head's articulation is gone, and I have to be careful in how I adjust the cab (which doesn't seem to stay straight by itself anymore...) but is it a fair trade?

The head is still too fragile, so probably not.

EDIT: Then again, I've gotten used to him - I an transform the cab if I am careful, and while I can't move the head, the better proportions definitely make up for it!

I guess you can say that I can deal with it now!