Dealing With Fellow Collectors

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Pudglor Shmormuff, Aug 27, 2014.

1. Pudglor Shmormuff

Pudglor Shmormuff Well-Known Member

Hey guys,

I'm curious to know how often you've bumped heads with another collector and it got personal- because in recent years I've realized that being a TF collector and a nerd, geek, dork- whatever it's called where you live- can be fun and there's nothing wrong with it, but then you meet some of your own kind and realize: Wow, I'm not so sure I want to be a part of this anymore because these guys are complete f-ing assholes.

It's unfortunate, because you might go to a TF convention, hoping to make friends and converse, but you unfortunately come across a few rotten rectums who think they know everything and it kinda kills the experience for you and makes you partially ashamed to be there. It's almost like meeting your favorite actor or musician, realizing they're a complete douchebag, and walking away thinking: I'm never watching your movies or listening to your music again- screw you man.

When I was in college, I was in the nerdy fraternity- we were all about video games, WOW, D&D, comic books, anime, everything that was considered nerdy was there- and I thought it was gonna be heaven for me, but unfortunately I realized over time that being a nerd might be great on an individual level, but put a bunch of them together and it's only a matter of time until one thinks he knows more than the rest and they all start fighting over who can discover the cure to cancer or time travel first because they're a "super-genius."

Because of that consistent personality flaw, since college, I've stayed away from my own kind. I mean, I come here and talk to people- but not in the real world- not at conventions- I keep to myself- because I don't want to fall into some sort of Star Trek VS Star Wars argument with another nerd/collector that goes on for hours and gets you nowhere fast- it's not worth the trouble to me.

They're elitists- they truly believe that they know f-ing everything- and me being a TF collector, I'm pretty sure if you collect TFs you're a nerd yourself- at least in my book it's pretty close- not far from the word- you're into other nerdy stuff- which brings me again to my question:

Have you ever bumped heads with another collector to the point where it got personal and have you noticed any consistent personality flaws with fellow collectors? And if so, does that dictate how often you attend conventions or interact with them in other ways because it's such a consistent personality flaw?

2. seali_me

seali_me RIP January 2018

Hahahahaha.

Maybe here on the boards. We don't run out of armchair CEOs...

But I bet in person, like most that I have actually had the pleasure to meet, are fine.

3. NotFastEnuff

NotFastEnuff I'm a smartass...

Ebay:
    You get that with any hobby or fandom. Look at people that watch football. You get elitist pricks in every aspect of life. Hell, you want stuck up pricks, go to a VW/Audi car show! I have many hobbies that are considered a lifestyle. I'm a car guy, minitrucker, video gamer, photographer, and the list goes on. In every one of those, I've met some of the most intolerable assholes that thought they were better than me. I've also met a lot of lifelong friends. I've met people on this board, that led to in person meetings, that are a part of my life and always will be. You can't lump everyone together. Just because you have a bad experience doesn't mean you give up.

Example: Have you ever dated a crazy or messed person? We all have. Did it make you give up on all men/women? Yeah, didn't think so. Go out and socialize. Will you meet some assholes? Of course, but you might also meet your next best friend.

4. eltonlin98

eltonlin98 F.T.C

News Credits:
    I collect a special brand of Hot Wheels, and associate with multiple people on Facebook and other mediums as allies and chat with them about the hobby. I'm cool with them until they start hunting on my grounds. I show courtesy to not encroach on your hunting grounds, so please stay out of my territory.

Otherwise, I'm declaring war on you :) <

5. Pudglor Shmormuff

I haven't given up on people completely- I can socialize and I do- I hang with my GF's family and her friends all the time, but it's just when it comes to nerds, specifically nerds- I find assholes. lol

And it kinda sucks because I'm like: I'm a nerd, but I can't interact with other nerds because there's too many assholes. Watching nerds argue over nerdy shit has got to be one of the saddest, most ridiculous things ever- like :
    "This is G1!"
    "No, THIS is G1!"
    "Um, I'm sorry- you're wrong- THIS...is G1."
    "No you dumbshit- THIS is technically G1."
    "Well EXCUSE ME MR. TECHNICALITY- but THAT isn't G1."

(Watches from sidelines) This is...I can't believe I'm one of you. (face palm)

That's the crap I'm talking about. lol

6. Scorponok

Scorponok Kindness is no virtue and cruelty is no vice

Well, I'm a nerd first and foremost. I am book smart and have a love for learning. Secondly, I'm a geek. I'm also female which may or may not make a difference in my example.

I've found that with other nerds, there can be the occasional know-it-all but no real issues for me. I've met plenty of everyday people who could be classified as bullies or jerks. Remember this happens with all types of people.

With those who are into comics, collecting, anime...no issues with feeling accepted there. While I've never met another TF collector/fan in person I can say that those I've interacted with on TFW have been pleasant. I've even purchased from several folks through the Junkion and everyone was friendly. Then again, I try to be pleasant from the beginning. This likely this has something to do with my experiences here. Asking them questions on things I don't know or asking for advice on something probably helps too.

7. seali_me

seali_me RIP January 2018

College nerds and adult nerds are completely different.

Give it a chance.

I've been warned though. There this one freaky TF collector in my area... The whole basement thing and socially inept stereotype is all there.

8. seeker311

seeker311 The Collector

News Credits:
    We have a group here in town that meets monthly and at conventions. We've all been cool with each other and I appreciate hearing their perspectives on everything with the fandom. Only times there's been trouble is when someone tries to scalp and we call them on it

9. Pudglor Shmormuff

That is so true. I remember immediately after graduating from college, my socializing got a tad easier because I wasn't dealing with college pricks anymore- which was a definite plus and thrilled me- but it can happen in any hobby or fandom, you're right about that- my twin brother is a car enthusiast and goes to car shows as much as he can afford to- he's also a major hockey fan- and he's told me, "I can't go to a car show without arguing or watching some other car guys argue about something- and I can't even remember the last time I went to a bar after a hockey game and 2 guys didn't fight- hell, while leaving the stadium fights can break out- I've seen guys start fighting on the street, on the way to their cars, after a game." lol

10. llamatron

llamatron OFFICIAL MMC REP TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    Sounds like you've been dealing with neckbeards aka fedoras.

11. Dirge121

Dirge121 I'll be your end of days

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Tumblr:
    Bingo. If you see a fedora you should walk away.

12. Pudglor Shmormuff

(Looks up term on Urban Dictionary) OHHHH, Those guys- there actually were quite a few of them and yep: I wanted to take a golf club to their teeth. They were douches.

13. Hot Shot.

Hot Shot. Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    MLP in a nutshell. The adult fandom gradually became full of fedora-wearing furries who pretend it's a lifestyle, which sucked the fun out of being a fan.

Well, that and the whiny manchildren who threw temper tantrums anytime they saw a pony, and lumped me in with the shitcrowd when I took issue with their behavior.

14. MetalRyde

MetalRyde is an a-hole with a heart. RIP Spike and Mojo.

it was only 2 years ago that i realized that i'm a nerd, a geek, etc. i collect video games, power rangers toys, transformers toys, ninja turtles toys, pokemon cards and yu-gi-oh cards.

and appearently, physically, i'm intimidating looking with my large size and a face that people think i look angry about something.

i have met a fellow TF fan back when ROTF was at theaters. he smelled, he spoke loudly and acted like an elitist.

i mostly stick around the non-transformers boards but i've heard horror stories about the TF boards.

15. MetalicGrunt

MetalicGrunt Rust Proof Commando

News Credits:
    Gotta say my experiences have been pretty good in person. Last summer when TRU had Soundwave I knew it was going to be in stock- I posted it and I went there as well to grab 1. Already someone there waiting so it was to the 2 of us and since we were both looking for the same thing, we decieded to each look in an area where they might hold MP Soundwave. Low and behold they only got 1 case in, 2 soundwaves, and we each made sure we were the only ones who got him, since we were in line first.

As far as the board go.... Well ya.... White Knighters. Gotta say haven't been lowballed when selling, yet

16. Dark Skull

Dark Skull Well-Known Enabler Moderator

News Credits:
    My experience off the internet has been ok. Met some cool ones and some odd ones. Really odd ones. However, on the boards....it's a different story. It's a mix actually. I've ran into douchebags, idiots, morons, asshats, dickheads, all kinds of people. In terms of selling and buying, I've ran into extreme lowballing self entitled unreasonable asshats that won't hesitate to step all over you if it means it benefits them. And then there's the exact opposite of that spectrum.

Then there's also the cool down to earth ones.

17. KA

KA Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Its never come down to that for me, at least from my POV outside looking in. But thats because ive always avoided cliques of similar interest/personality, prefering small but more diverse/eclectic group. The trick is to not feel compelled to hang out just based on interest alone.

But i guess theres no wrong or right whether u fit in to a clique. Just a matter of personal preference.

18. DethPike

DethPike Master of Sinanju

Ebay:
    I've never had a "problem" with fellow collectors, but I find it interesting how suddenly peoples' attitudes change when I don't want to trade my high priced item for their "pile of utter shit".

"But this tub of movie toys is easily worth as much as your Deathsaurus. We could swap and you could sell those."

"Yeah, or, I have an even better idea - YOU spend the next ten years trying to sell that tub of garbage, and then buy my Deathsaurus."

"... okay...." -pouts-

19. Cracka J

Cracka J judas in my mind TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    it's the elitists dude. they exist in all hobbys, fandoms, video games, etc. don't get drawn into the penis measuring contests and you should be fine. there's several "tells" for that type of person anyway, so it shouldn't take long to spot them. just look for the guys that actually enjoy their hobby for what it is and aren't unzipping at the first argument that comes up. the inability to simply listen to another persons point of view, whether you agree with it or not, is a pretty quick tell for these types of people.

20. EnergonWaffles

EnergonWaffles Autobot's Head Chef Veteran

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Have I met them? Sure. Have I bumped heads with them? Not really, because I don't stick around to have a conversation if they're irritating.

Don't spend your precious fcks on them- I guarantee the fandom (and the world in general) will seem like a much nicer place if you choose to focus your attention on those who deserve it. It's an unfortunate habit but we tend to remember the bad apples and forget the good ones.