Dead or Alive 5! Breast Bounce Is Go!

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by Smasher, Sep 14, 2011.

1. MetalRyde

MetalRyde is an a-hole with a heart. RIP Spike and Mojo.

yet they continue to be made with this 'MY WORD IS LAAAWW' bullcrap.

breaking the law
    breaking the law

2. Smasher

Smasher HUNKY BEATS

News Credits:
    I watched the video and now want seven minutes of my life back.
    He takes two things that Team Ninja said rants about it for seven minutes while showing video of DOA Xtreme Beach Volleyball.
    I suppose I should have come to expect this kind of thing from The Escapist, but as CounterPunch said, he's contesting a point that's no longer relevant.

I'd like to see DOA5's sales figures if they suddenly changed the aesthetic of their female characters.

Yeah, and some of the guys who have been doing the MY WORD IS LAAAWW thing for a while just seem so sad now.

It's like they're entrapped in a culture they hate.
    They're experts on what they dislike.

3. Mutt12

Mutt12 Starroid Raider

Ebay:
    Of course. Because you're not cool if you disagree with an Escapist reviewer.

4. Smasher

Smasher HUNKY BEATS

News Credits:
    I finally got to play it some last night.

I was worried after the abortion that was Ninja Gaiden 3 that this wouldn't be good.
    My worries were unfounded.

The graphics are probably about as good as they're going to get on the current hardware.
    There's lots of little things going on all over the place -from dust flying up and getting illuminated in the light to passing cars.
    The characters look great -they get dirty and sweaty throughout the match.

I didn't know that the story mode would mean an overarching story for all the characters.
    It's pretty well done, but also doesn't really make sense.
    For instance, Zack's sparring with Mila the first time you see him, and then the next time you see him he's piloting a helicopter for DOAtec.
    You know, because DOAtec can only hire helicopter pilots who are kick boxers.

I kept getting fight requests that failed and it wasn't until this morning that I realized it was because I hadn't redeemed my "online pass".
    I hate those things. I understand why developers have them, but I still don't think I should have to do anything other than pay for XBL.

I had seriously considered getting Tekken Tag Tournament 2, but I think I made the better choice. The graphics in Tekken are really good, but not at this level. To be fair though Namco has so many more objects available with all that crazy customization. Plus, there's the awesome interaction with the environment that TTT 2 lacks. I had forgotten how cool Kasumi's wall throw is.
    Maybe when I get bored with this TTT 2 will be on sale.

Oh yeah, Team Ninja just unlocked a bunch of free costumes for everyone as a way of thanking them for buying the game.
    Hear that Capcom? FREE COSTUMES!

5. Sokar

Sokar Well-Known Member

News Credits:

I picked up both tt2 and doa5 a few days ago and I think both are pretty decent games from what I've played of them.

I have to disagree with you on the graphic side a bit though. I've been a lot more impressed with the look of the ttt2 graphics. Maybe it's my tv but doa looks a bit blander to me for some reason. It still looks good, and all the effects are really nice touches (ttt2 characters also get dusty I've noticed which was a nice addition), it just isn't quite as appealing looking to me. I will say though that the stages in doa5 are pretty interesting to see when all the different trigger points are hit. It reminds me a bit of what they tried to do with mk vs dc, but much more realized. I also like that they re-did soem of the larger characters like Bass and
    Bayman to look a bit more realistic now. There's still the cartoony factor to Bass in some ways, but he doesn't look quite so much like a fat hulk hogan now.

Overall I'd say they are both excellent games. I'm a bit biased towards the tekken gameplay as I've been playing since tekken 2 (it's what convinced me to buy a psx), but both are definitely worth owning.

6. Gordon_4

Gordon_4 The Big Engine

News Credits:
    Sounds like DoA5 should be on my 'to get' list. I'll wait a month and see if it hits $40, then I'll splash out :) 

7. Batman

Batman The Dark Knight TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I agree.

Fuck that guy. This game is awesome. It is meant to be fun and that is exactly what it is.

I guess he is supposed to be an expert on the physics of breasts since his are larger than the ones the woman have in the game :lol 

8. Kuma Style

Kuma Style I'm boney. I'm boney; Leave me aloney! TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    DOA has looked essentially the same graphically since the Dreamcast games, and there are plenty of 3D fighters that have much better models, SSFIV/SFxT included even. Dunno' why they haven't expanded more graphically, but.. oh well.

The one thing I love about DOA character models is their faces. They're just great, albeit they've never been expressive.

And Sokar... we must play TTT2.

9. Surge

Surge Village Dolt

News Credits:
    Pixels or not, the gals in this game are smokin'.

Never played the DOA series but as the saying goes, "sex sells". I just may try this. :D 

10. Gordon_4

Gordon_4 The Big Engine

News Credits:
    Hitomi is the nicest one I think, although as lovely as they are, Tekken Tag 2 has forever cemented Jun Kazama as the High Priestess of my video games hotties Church.

11. Smasher

Smasher HUNKY BEATS

News Credits:
    LOL! I know.
    When he opened his jacket and was like "Seriously, then don't move like that."
    I was like "those are moobs, dude."

I got to look at TTT2 on a monitor that was much better quality than the one at Gamestop and I have to say the graphics on that game are top notch. I do plan on getting it eventually, but I just don't have the time for both right now.

Both games are really good examples of how older hardware can really be pushed by talented development teams.

I remember when I first fired up the DOA 2 disc on DOA Ultimate and I couldn't believe how much better the character models looked than when they were on the Dreamcast. And I was amazed by the Dreamcast models back in the day!

I think that DOA 5 and TTT 2 have made a similar leap.

12. Gordon_4

Gordon_4 The Big Engine

News Credits:
    I'll back that up, Tekken Tag 2 has some of the nicest visuals I've ever seen in a Tekken game, or indeed most games of late that aren't on my PC. In a couple of weeks I'll probably have DOA5 to admire as well.

13. McBradders

McBradders James Franco Club! Veteran

Smasher, fight me :( 

14. Smasher

Smasher HUNKY BEATS

News Credits:
    Yeah, we're at a weird phase with the current hardware.
    It's showing its age, but at the same time its also showing how good developers have gotten at coding for it.

So games like this look really good, but because they look so good certain things about it show the architecture's age.
    But I think that if this ran on all new hardware, the developers wouldn't have their minds around it yet, and even if they used the new hardware's tricks it might only look about as good as what we actually got.

I don't feel like the preceding two sentences make a lot of sense, but I'm not sure how to rephrase them.

I didn't realize you had this.
    Challenge accepted!

15. Sokar

Sokar Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    TJ - We'll definitely have to get some games in, though I'm not sure if I'll have time anytime soon to get any in. Grad school and work have me running in circles, so I'm pretty short on time atm. If there is a chance though to play I'll definitely try to set something up.

I think it totally makes sense, and I agree 100%.

It's like in a racing game how you have the cheap car to race in for a long time and you get so good at using it that you are very competitive but will still ultimately lose out to the more powerful vehicles because of sheer power. And yet if you upgrade to a more powerful car you will still lose because you're not used to driving it.

16. tikgnat

tikgnat Baweepgranaweepninnybong.

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    I bought this and fired it up yesterday. Bear in mind I am a VF fan first, and because DOA started out as an offshoot of VF I totally played the shit out if it ever since the first Model 2 arcade game. Tekken comes in at a distant fourth with me, after SF.

Once I play this enough to a) get back to grips with Hitomi and b) not be massively distracted by wet t-shirts I will fite anyone online. Seriously the first time I noticed Hitomis costume 1 get wet and see her bra I got the shit kicked out of me...

17. tikgnat

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    So I've not been able to play much of this recently, but hopefully soon I'll get to spend some meaningful time with it.

Having said that I went online a week ago (or whatever) and lost consistantly. I keep jabbing and going for throws VF style not realising you can't throw a staggered opponent. Grumble.

18. Mutt12

Mutt12 Starroid Raider

Ebay:
    God I really need to get this game. But with the massive expendeture I'm making on the Wii-U, I'm gonna have to hold off on any big spending till like after Christmas.

19. Smasher

Smasher HUNKY BEATS

News Credits:
    This describes me completely.
    It's just been an unusually busy couple of weeks.

Hopefully I'll get to start playing this and Dust more this weekend.

20. tikgnat

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Well while the wee one and the missus were kipping in the afternoon yesterday I played through some more of the story mode and unlocked VF Akira and VF Sarah.

SARAH. OMFG. Her moves list is almost the same as her VFS:FS list, with a few differences (ie pressing all three buttons in VF5 changes her stance in DOA5 it tags) so going into step from Flamingo in DOA5 is going to take a little getting used to.

But yes, suddenly with Sarah I'm infinitely more comfortable and therefore lethal in DOA. Awwwwww yeah. You'll enjoy this. Trust me.