Minor/Repaint: De-Headmastering Titans Return Blaster

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by Insane Galvatron, Sep 25, 2016.

1. Insane Galvatron

Insane Galvatron is not insane. Really!

News Credits:
    I don't want him to be a Headmaster, so I modded him in a non-permanent way. Rather than taking and posting a bunch of pics, I decided to do a video instead. I hope that isn't against the rules.

Okay, I took some screen caps that I think SHOULD show it off without the necessity of watching the video. If you want to just see how this looks after, you can forward to the 9:05 mark to see just the mod in action.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Basically, you just get a Loudmouth and swap faces with Twincast. But remove the head and legs from Loudmouth so it's just the torso. Then put it in the helmet and squeeze it together. It'll hold the head in and fold away in alt mode.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 30, 2016
    • Like Like x 5
  2. BScorpinok75

BScorpinok75 Squadron X #1 Consultant

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    This is awesome...I'm not big on the non-Headmasters being forced to be Headmasters...so this is right up my alley...and...in my skill set range...thanks for sharing....now to grab Loudmouth...

Last edited: Sep 27, 2016
    • Like Like x 3
  3. Bitstream

Bitstream Nobody's side

Just a personal opinion, but if you're going to do a video, do the pictures too. I can click through and fully appreciate a nice set of photos in a few minutes. A little descriptive text to elaborate on things goes a long way. I like having control over how quickly I'm able to take things in. Your video is 15 minutes long, with nothing immediately suggesting it's actually worth an investment of that much time. In theory I can seek around in the video and find individual points of interest, but that's a crapshoot. Pictures load once and are done. Videos must stream from the source every time. If my bandwidth is slow, I just get a slow loading picture. But a video just becomes basically unviewable (buffering... buffering...). On a small screen, I can easily zoom in on a picture to get the detail. A video is pretty much as big as it's going to get.

You look like you took a lot of effort to illustrate all the work you did (I did not watch the video, but I did try to scrub through it) and that's pretty neat. But for me, it's something I'd probably only pursue once I'd seen photos and decided I wanted a more in-depth view.

Sorry for the mini-rant. It looks like you did a cool thing.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Hyoumaru

Hyoumaru M.S.B.S. ver. 10.5

Certainly a lot easier than the hell that was modding TR Galvatron.

This genuinly has me reconsidering my position on TR Blaster, wasn't gonna get one because I don't like the Headmaster thing or the base mode gimmick, but I might pick one up knowing it's not THAT difficult to "fix".

5. SMOG

SMOG Vocabchampion ArgueTitan

I agree about the video. Photos are much handier on a forum like this. Makes it way easier to quickly peruse, rather than following a whole video.

But good job! :) 

zmog

6. Insane Galvatron

News Credits:
    I understand about the video guys. Normally, for customs, I do post pictures. But most customs can't be done in 5 minutes. Originally, the video was only 9 minutes. Half of that was me saying all the stuff I would normally type in the post. But then I found the better way, and added another 4 minutes of me showing that and how well it worked.

Basically, I had to choose to either take pictures or shoot a video. I couldn't do both without doing the custom twice. I didn't really want to undo and redo this and my preference was to do the video ( wanted something for youtube as well as social media ). I'll try to plan out any future videos in advance in an attempt to reduce the overall video time. This one was practice. I will take some screen grabs of significant shots to show exactly what I did.

7. Bitstream

Bitstream Nobody's side

Sure you can. You do the video of the process, and then take pictures of the finished project.

Additionally, if you wanted to take pictures of the process as well, you could always stop the camera and take photos, then resume. Part of my general frustration with the "videos for everything!" trend is that so many people seem to think that a single continuous take is the best and most desirable format for all things. Good, concise editing is really helpful, especially for tutorials and instructional videos.

8. Insane Galvatron

News Credits:
    With my skills and programs, it's not that easy. I only have windows movie maker and even with that, I'm not that good at editing. I also use the same camera for pictures and video. So I couldn't just pause the video, I'd have to stop it. So I'd have like 10 different videos to splice together. All just so I can take pics. Until my editing skills progress, this is the best I can do on a simple mod that I want to video.

9. Bitstream

Bitstream Nobody's side

Well, instructional/process videos are actually a pretty great thing. But I do suggest you practice some basic editing. WMM is actually pretty simple to use once you give it a chance.

Meanwhile, like I said, some photos and description are highly desirable. We want to know WHAT you did before we're interested in how you did it.

10. Insane Galvatron

News Credits:
    I did update the first post. Are those pictures sufficient for showing what I did? The finished product really doesn't look much different. His head just doesn't need to be pulled off anymore.

11. primalxconvoy

primalxconvoy Banned

News Credits:
    Nicely done! The addition of a video is welcome, as are the pictures and written description. To be picky, I'd like a third party head that could fit into the helmet semi-permanently that folded out to for the head and compressed when folding it away in the robot's back in alt-mode.

12. Solrac333

Solrac333 G1 got it right!

Ebay:
    Very nice. Yeah, I hate that they headmastered figures that are not headmasters.

13. Pun-3X

Pun-3X Well-Known Member

I'm looking at this and wondering--for those that want to go this far--couldn't you take the blaster face off the headmaster and just glue it to the inside of the helmet? If you know for a fact you will never use the headmaster gimmick, would this not also solve the issue of the helmet not fitting into the back cavity? Would the helmet be loose on the robot without the rest of the helmet filled in? I don't own the figure yet, so I have no idea if this would work.

Again, if you aren't sure if you'll want to keep/go back to the headmaster, that idea might not be for some. But those like myself that are actively working on ways to remove headmaster gimmicks from a few of these toys (looking into Scourge and Blur right now, plan to do the same for Hot Rod when he comes out) that might be an option.

I like your idea for those that are looking to keep everything intact for later, just in case they change their mind. I also agree that your pictures are a nice addition (though I appreciated the video as well). Thanks for sharing!

14. warhawk

warhawk Well-Known Member

Instagram:
    Thank you for the pics. I can't watch videos on my lap top anymore. Great looking mod though, thanks for sharing.

15. f-primusunicron

f-primusunicron i just wanna be loved

News Credits:
    i would just glue the face , and still have the minifig intact

16. Hyoumaru

Hyoumaru M.S.B.S. ver. 10.5

I'm wondering

is it possible to cut away at the back of the compartment where Blaster's helmet stores in boombox mode so it can swivel in deeper even with the full headmaster inside, or can the swivel not move that far back even if it had the space for it?

I can't find a Blaster in stores to check for myself.