DC Figures Thread

Discussion in 'The Toyark' started by MoreThanMeetsTheEye, Dec 24, 2007.

1. hrothgars

hrothgars Autobot Scout

These were all recently on Amazon with free shipping on orders over $25. They also have been available for a few weeks at LCS that stock action figures.

Since this is the end of the DCUC line prior to the release of the revamped/rebranded "Unlimited" series, retailers may not have ordered many, à la RTS Windcharger.

You may want to take the Amazon route if you are concerned you might not get them. :thumbs2: 

2. Omega Charge

Omega Charge CHARGE ON

News Credits:
    Yeah same here, no DCUC at either Walmart or Target. I got the new Batman off Amazon and I love him, but I'm trying to get Superman and not even Amazon seems to have him at the moment. Hope to find him somewhere soon!

3. Roufuss

Roufuss Shots

News Credits:
    Wal-Mart and Target have dropped DCUC completely from their mods, so don't count on them getting this one-off wave. The next time you'll see DC there is when the line is rebranded.

DCUC is effectively done at retail... TRU might carry them but I highly doubt it considering its been months and there hasn't been one sighting. I mean, TRU isn't even selling these on their website.

The one figure that's hard as hell to find right now is Red Robin -- can't find him online anywhere at normal retail prices. The other three are all available through various retailers.

http://www.entertainmentearth.com/prodinfo.asp?number=MTW7517#.UFs4N41lRgk

$17.99, EE is a great place to shop at.

4. LegendAntihero

LegendAntihero Banned

If they stopped carrying them, that's disheartening. I felt they could've made a comeback with the New 52 Batman and Superman. Besides, my Batman and Superman DCU toys are loose. If I find one at retail, I'm snatching them up again, provided they aren't all loose.

5. Roufuss

Roufuss Shots

News Credits:
    The New 52 Superman and Batman toys are going to reappear in the new DC and Batman Unlimited lines which I expect stores will carry. This is probably one of the many reasons stores just don't want this last DCUC wave, as the two most important characters are going to show back up in the relaunched line anyways as part of Wave 1.

DC Unlimited and Batman Unlimited is the comeback -- honestly, the DC Universe Classics brand needs to be buried at this point, as it was driven into the ground.

6. Dr Kain

Dr Kain Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    You know, at this point, I don't care if they make it in retail stores. I am not all that enthused about Red Robin and Superboy Prime now that I have seen actual review picturs of them to the point that I will only pick them up if I see them in person. If I don't, then I guess I don't own them. As for N52 Batman and Superman, I am not sure I even want to collect anything from the N52 at this point anymore. I wanted them last year at this time, and now that I don't care for the comics, I see no reason to buy the toys of them. Right now, Penguin and TDKR Batman are the only DCU figures I plan to buy for sure.

7. Switch625

Switch625 "Up, up, and away!"

I'd rather get them off of Amazon or some other online retailer. I have no desire to go hunting for toys anymore.

8. Seeker

Seeker Time Lord

Ebay:
    That's my take on the situation too.

9. smkspy

smkspy Remember true fans

The 52 figures are quite good, IMO. Especially Batman, he really fits into any display. Though I don't expect many WMs to carry either line, at least in my area, most stores have shrunk the boy's toy aisle to next to nothing.

It's ironic, Red Robin, arguably the most bitched about toy from this wave is also going for the highest price.

10. Roufuss

Roufuss Shots

News Credits:
    That's a nation-wide thing. The action figure aisle really shrunk down to nothing with the latest reset. Tons of Wal-Marts dropped not only DCUC but Marvel Legends, Marvel Universe, G.I Joe (obviously) and really shrunk the Star Wars space (also understandable since retail stores are only getting the current wave.)

11. Sportimus

Sportimus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The new 52 Batman figure has become my favorite of all the variants we've gotten of the caped crusader. The new Superman turned out real nice as well.

12. Roufuss

Roufuss Shots

News Credits:
    I've yet to get them myself (soon though) but it seems they are getting a lot of praise. I hope the other New 52 sculpts do as well -- perhaps with Mattel, less is more?

Less figures per wave and no CnC to worry about means they can make the few figures that are coming out really great.

13. LegendAntihero

LegendAntihero Banned

Yeah, I definitely consider Batman to be better than his DC Direct counterpart, even if it is more comic accurate. Cape could use some work though.

14. Dr Kain

Dr Kain Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    The new DC stuff juts isn't worth it to me though. Either I find them in stores or I do without.

I mean, look at the friggin line up:

DC Unlimited Wave 1:

N52 Superman
    N52 Hawkman
    N52 Flash

DC Unlimited Wave 2:

N52 Wonder Woman
    Injustice Batman

Batman Unlimited Wave 1:

N52 Batman
    N52 Batgirl
    Penguin

Batman Unlimited Wave 2:

TDKR Batman
    Whacky Color Batman (sorry, don't remember the proper name)

They are all just variants of characters we already have. There is not a single new figure in there. Sure, you can say the Batman Unlimited W2 stuff is different, but they are both still Batman, are they not?

We need characters that have not been done before. If they must do N52 characters, then why not Huntress from the new World's Finest comic? Or the Puppet Master from Detective Comics (I think that was the guy's name)? Someone from the All-Star Western comic like El Diablo? WHy not someone from Batman Inc? Damian Robin? Mera? ANYTHING?!

15. smkspy

smkspy Remember true fans

Yep, it's really a reflection on the status of boy's toys nowadays. Boys leave behind action figures at such a young age in favor of video games, it really feels like action figures are going the way of comic books. If we look at girl's toys in comparison, even the smallest WMs are carrying the massively expensive Monster High playset. Honestly, 6' inch action figures are so to be a bygone era of action figures since so few stores will be willing to carry them. Le sigh.

I wish, but beyond that Robin, every single one of those is everything Mattel and retailers now fear from 6' inch figures. The cost of figures have just exceeded the market's willingness to pay for them. Doesn't matter who they make at this point.

16. Roufuss

Roufuss Shots

News Credits:
    Definitely agree with everything you wrote, smkspy.

If you look, retailers (outside of TRU) all avoided the 6" TMNT Classics as well, opting instead to just go for the smaller figures.

Wal-Mart as a whole dropped Marvel Legends -- for different reasons then they dropped DC, but they still dropped it.

If you go into any Wal-Mart today what is left in the 6" section? Only things left in mine are the remnants of the Avenger movie figures, the Amazing Spider-Man figures and some leftover Batman movie stuff.

The only reason those Marvel figures are even there is because it was an exclusive to Wal-Mart and probably the deal was made before the great 6" purging.

Hell, even Hasbro is focusing on the smaller figures with Transformers Prime. Cyberverse and Bot Shots have seen far more waves and Cyberverse Prime offers an almost complete lineup of the on-show cast (only two missing are Airachnid I think, who is getting a CV figure next year, and Soundwave) which the Deluxe figures and higher don't do.

I think we're living in a time where 6" figures at retail are coming to an end. A lot is probably riding on how these Batman and DC Unlimited figures do... if they tank, it's going to hurt not only the brand, but the perception of the 6" line. And that perception is hurting already -- Thundercats failed, DC Universe Classics failed, there is an awful lot of figures pegwarming from the three lines I listed earlier.

At this point in the game you need to roll out the heavy hitters like Superman and Batman to even have a hope of getting sales from people outside collectors when your figures are $18 - $20 a piece. Hell, I'd love a Mera and Huntress too, but at this point we're lucky to even have a DC 6" line on shelves period. If it results in me getting some decent Batman variants and heavy hitters and nothing else, I'm okay with that. I never expected more from the line.

And yea, I've seen it too -- the girl's aisle at all the stores I've been to is huge, as-is the Lego sections, but the action figure aisle is just shrinking. Can you blame parents though? Games are as cheap as $20 - $30 for decent titles and most kids will get more out of a game than they will a figure.

17. RKillian

RKillian http://www.rktoyandhobby.com

News Credits:
    And they failed because these companies, from manufacturing to retail, can't think outside of the box. It's not the 6" format's fault, it's unending tidal wave of stupidity. We've heard ToyGuru@Mattel complain about the cost of packaging, so why do they come on these giant blister cards? Even Marvel Legends, which got better for keeping things flatter, is still stupidly oversized to accommodate a comic book that hasn't shipped with them since ToyBiz lost the license half a decade ago. Hasbro does it with TransFormers too, if you remember the stupidly oversized box most of the Animated voyagers came in. Why not do something to control costs and get more inventory out on the floor, let alone save on the cost of delivery by not having the trucks half full of air?

18. ryanlb

ryanlb Well-Known Member

It's funny that you mention that, my local Walmart just a couple weeks ago added DCUC (the Apache Chief wave, wtf?) and Marvel Legends, where they haven't carried either in years.

I don't care, I barely collect DCUC anymore, for a long while now my only interest in American toys is Transformers, but it's still nice to see new Legends and DCUC at this particular store, and I find it amusing that it seems to be running against the trend of cutting back on 6" figures. At least for now.

19. ABH1979

ABH1979 Veteran

Cool.

I just hope they get to the rest of the New 52 sooner than later. Some figures I would love to have in their new designs:

Etrigan (The Demon)
    Frankenstein (<- I don't care if they've already announced the book cancellation; I better get this fig)
    Red Hood, Jason Todd
    Katana
    Martian Manhunter
    Midnighter and Apollo

I'd be tempted to get a Superman with his Blue Jean costume, if it was a good sculpt.

20. LegendAntihero

LegendAntihero Banned

I'm going to get Black Mask in the mail. Does he use the same suit and tie mold as most of the Dark Knight movie masters?