DC Figures Thread

Discussion in 'The Toyark' started by MoreThanMeetsTheEye, Dec 24, 2007.

1. 1987olds442

1987olds442 Cam Maximus

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Custom URL):
    Seeing how Big Barda is suppose to be 7' 0" she is definitely undersized. The Wonder Woman buck wasn't used for Barda it was an original designed buck, and she was scaled down too much when she went into production like the original Sinestro figure. Personally I would love to see her redone. I wouldn't mind them using the new MOTUC female buck, scale wise it would be just about prefect. Since they have the collector club I don't see why they couldn't use it. It would also be cool to have both her armor costume and bikini costume in that scale.

I'm looking forward to the new figures and the reissue of Batman Beyond. I don't mind him being more buff. I just think of him as an older Terry like in the future episode of JLU where they reveal that Terry is Bruce's biological son due to Amanda Waller's "Batman Beyond" project. Of course it would be cool to see the Batman Beyond redone using the new buck with double jointed elbows and knees. Also I wonder if this new retail line will continue the Collect and Connect figure? It's bad enough that they raise the price point to around $16, but without the collect and connect it seems like they are cheating us even more. Heck at least increase the size of the CNC figures... LOL

You know what I would love to see done eventually a properly scaled Lobo and Doomsday. You know it's almost like their scales are switched with each other :D 

Oh and we are finally getting a Superboy Prime [​IMG] Now we need a modern Connor Kent.

2. askani_son318

askani_son318 Well-Known Member

Collect and Connects are no more. They have cancelled that. Now oversized figures will be sold, fully assembled, via the Infinite Earths subscription on Mattycollector.com.

I really want a modern Connor Kent figure.

3. 1987olds442

1987olds442 Cam Maximus

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Custom URL):
    Well that stinks, then they really need to lower the price of the figures back down to at least $12 there is no reason that they should cost almost as much as a Voyager Transformer especially without the collect and connect. There is a lot more engineering that goes into a Transformer and yet you can buy Deluxe figures for less than a Action Figure.

I'm hoping that the reason we are getting the white suit 6" Young Justice Connor is that we may get a Modern Connor in the new retail line or the collector club.

4. Computron34

Computron34 Always Tired

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
  5. smkspy

smkspy Remember true fans

While I think she's undersized too, I really just don't care. I mean, seriously, there are tons of characters in the line that aren't perfectly in scale. Basically, undersized or not, she's good enough.

6. blue death

blue death Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I don't really care much that she's undersized anymore. At this point I'm fine with any number of the correctly scaled DC Direct versions of her. I just can't believe that guy refuses to believe she's out of scale as is.

On the topic of Batman Beyond even if it is a straight up reissue I'm still gonna appluad Mattel for doing that. That figure has been in high demand since it's release seeing as it's one of a few well done DCAU figures and the distribution was shit for him. I had to pay the ridiculous aftermarket price to get mine and I'm hoping to recoup that before the cheaper reissue comes along.

7. Laser_Optimus

Laser_Optimus Currently no longer giving a shit about the MCU. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Well, one nice thing about the oversized figures being part of Infinite Earths now instead of being packed in as C&C's is that they will no longer be limited be a maximum size. Also, characters like Bane who were on the small side can now be made as regular figures.

That said; it is sad that I don't expect to see anything to make the value better on the individual figures now that they won't be including the C&C anymore. I say that because I don't expect the price will go down and if asked I can almost guarantee that TG will have this to say: "Sadly, even without the C&C pieces included we can't reduce the price of the individual figures because overall price for production has gone up across the boards". I also don't expect the other fan hope, that we'll see an increase in accessories if the price point stays at $14.99 because of the same as above. Basically, I expect the price to stay were it's at... the figures to have no additional value added (and, technically, value take away due to the lack of a C&C piece)... and Mattel to blame overall economic costs to produce toys for all of the above.

The REALLY SAD PART? I don't really care and will continue to buy the damned things. I bought into Club Infinite Earths (and also have a regular and 30th MOTUC sub) so I'm one of those fans that's in a very abusive relationship with Mattel.

That said; without the C&C piece I'll be a lot more choosey about who I pick up at retail (yeah, no Flash Point stuff for me thanks). Nothing to do about the sub, but so far everything announced for the sub is something that was on my want list so no worries yet. Yeah, I'm even excited for Metron... honestly without the sub we'd have probably never gotten him... though I guess he could have been done as an SDCC exclusive, but he'd have never been in the retail line proper.

8. smkspy

I'm thinking Metron sans chair was probably planned for a wave. I say that because they already had a 2up/mock-up when announcing both the sub and the vote.

LO, you're right about the oversized figures no longer have size limitations, BUT knowing Mattel based on the oversized MOTUC figures, they'll lack lots of standard articulation to "keep prices to affordable" level.

Being a customer with Mattel is like being in a relationship where your partner is always cheating and lying to you, yet you stay with them no matter what.

9. wheeljack01

wheeljack01 Happiness is a warm gun

Well said.

10. Laser_Optimus

Laser_Optimus Currently no longer giving a shit about the MCU. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    I think there was discussion (and don't quote me on this because I don't remember where I read this so I can't say if it came from TG, Fangirl 2.0 or if it was just fan conjecture) at one point that Metron was going to be in a wave sans his chair and that he was pulled until they could figure out a way to do his chair as they felt the fans would not approve.

Well, so far the only figure they've limited was Chemo and he wasn't limited that bad (and he was at their "maximum height" I believe) so I'm hoping that if the jerks at Mattel do limit a few of them that they get no more limitation than he did. Also, these guys are going to cost the same as Battle Cat and Swiftwind (the oversized figures are stated to be $30 each) so there is potential for some pretty awesome stuff. Given that Tytus and Megator were $40 each I don't think we'll see anything that big. Which is a shame because I'd love something the size of Marvel Legends' Giant Man (a modern Giganta maybe?), but I don't think we'll ever see anything that big from Mattel considering he's larger than Tytus.

Honestly, I long for the days of large BAFs like the original Marvel Legends line did. It's a shame that Mattel won't attempt to do what Hasbro is doing at retail with their Gigantic Battles and Masterworks stuff. If they really wanted to I think they could, but TG will probably claim there's some strange Logistics against it... but they can put out a five pack for $75.

11. rob_charb

rob_charb Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    It's a shame Mattel doesn't do a lot of things that Hasbro does.

12. kenm2474

kenm2474 LORD DC TFW2005 Supporter

13. wheeljack01

14. Laser_Optimus

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    I guess most of the male characters in DCUC are over 7' huh? :lolol 

15. Star Saber

Star Saber Cybertron 5th Commander

News Credits:
    Scale really can't be counted on in toys. Look at Marvel Universe brown costumed Wolverine, he's practically as tall as the classic Cyclops, when he's supposed to be 5'4 and Cyke 6'.

16. wheeljack01

Of course!:) 

Yeah, that is true, this line has done a pretty believable job of keeping the scales close...though there has been a few that is off(barda,1st sinestro,anti-monitor,etc). The biggest thing is we all collect transformers and since the very first series they have been totally out of scale in comparison to each other(yes, I am very versed in diaclone\microman), so I am okay with the DCUC that are out of scale. I wish they would fix these problems if possible like sinestro, but if not I will be able to sleep at night.

17. askani_son318

askani_son318 Well-Known Member

Let's not forget the 13 (really 12) pack of figures for $180!!! If you ask me, Mattel is totally taking advantage of the loyalty of their fans. While I understand production costs do go up, it's apparent that they are robbing us blind. Point in case the LOSH .. When they first announced the set, they were talking a price point of about 120. They said it wasn't going to cost anymore than a normal set of figures would cost. Then they release it for 60 bucks more than originally planned??? Then they have the nerve to include an empty slot in the box and call it a funny?? Yea..it was funny...to them I'm sure... They're laughin all the way to the bank! ... I still don't understand how a company can make a product and not expect to have some over productions or some figures that don't sell as well as others. In this economy where ppl are struggling to feed their children, they are making great profits on toys. I think they need to reward their faithful customers instead of blaming them for any losses they incur on a figure. The sub is a joke, their price points are terrible, and I'm so glad to be done with them after wave 20... who am i kidding...I'll be buying whatever they release at retail... BUT I WONT BE HAPPY ABOUT IT!!... Ok..maybe I will be.. lmao ;D

18. smkspy

Well, you write off Anti-Moniter since he can change his size, though all his modern presentations him has been of a giant-sized character. I kinda prefer him smaller though, a villain doesn't have to be super-sized to be a galactic level threat.

19. lars573

lars573 Well-Known Member

Wrong. She's supposed to be 6' 2", and Mr Miracle is supposed to be 5' 10". And the DCUC Barda figure is very much built on Wonder woman. I checked my Barda with the deputy lantern WW I have. While Barda many (or even mostly) new parts they are based on WW's.

Remember what I said about standardized base bodies? They're built on Wonder Woman and Batman bodies.

20. Laser_Optimus

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Well, yeah, look at any Transformers line. Scale is horrid, but with the different levels of price points involved you can usually find a group of most of the cast that are properly scaled to each other.

Also, with MU, if you pick up the XM:O brown suit Wolvie he'll be in better scale. I believe the mold has seen release in MU as well, but in some of the multipacks (not the comic two packs). It's funny that a lot of people complain about how short the XM:O figures are in comparison to MU (which most are really), but their two/three molds for Wolvie are actually properly scaled in comparison (only issue is that they are missing a few points of articulation).

All that said, other lines non-withstanding, I think DCUC and MOTUC have done a masterful job at keeping things in scale. I largely attribute this to the 4H's involvement and I think that's why it's so jarring for some of us when something like Sinestro or Big Barda slips through (who, I will add, both HAVE BEEN STATED by Mattel to have been "sized down too much" when going from their 2-up into their production sample to production run). Thankfully, they are correcting Sinestro... even if it's a half-arsed attempt at it. Will we ever see a corrected height Big Barda? With Mattel who knows? It's certainly possible, but I doubt it would be that particular outfit. Maybe if they make on of her other costumes they'll remember to get her height in better scale this time.

So, seeing as our complaints do occasionally get noticed by Mattel and TG, I see no reason not to bring it up from time to time if the conversation comes up. We've got Sinestro's height fixed because of this and a properly painted Harley as well. And I won't even list all the things we've made happen by bitching at Mattel about the MOTUC line. So, yeah, nothing wrong with bringing it up as long as it works for the convo and everyone is being civil I say.