DC Figures Thread

Discussion in 'The Toyark' started by MoreThanMeetsTheEye, Dec 24, 2007.

1. fujishig

fujishig Well-Known Member

I thought maybe that design was from some modern storyline I'm not familiar with.

Oh, it is, this is Zor-el Supergirl's father.

2. Fridaytron

Fridaytron Pirate cat connoisseur

Twitter:
    Huh. Look at that, he is. And he was all greebely there too. Big weird shoulder and creepy fingers and all.

It's still a weird decision to make that version of cyborg Superman instead of the one people are more familiar with, but it's also a very Mcfarlane decision to make.
    Action_Comics_Vol_2_23.1_Cyborg_Superman_Textless (1).jpg

Last edited: May 13, 2024
  3. Sylent

Sylent Making Cybertron great again

I don't hate it... looks kind of cool, like some alternate universe version of Hank Henshaw, but Hank should come before whatever this is. Just like Guy Gardner should come before Kilowog.

• Like Like x 1
  4. fujishig

I mean I don't think Guy should necessarily come before Kilowog, but certainly before ANOTHER Kyle... ;) 

5. Sylent

...aaand you just spoke it into existence. Ion will be the next version of Kyle, followed by White Lantern Kyle and then Parallax. :p 

6. fujishig

Ha, I meant the Kyle that came with Kilowog but you're probably right anyway... ;) 

7. DutyBeforeAll

DutyBeforeAll Well-Known Member

If anyone is interested in the Superman, Batman, and Firestar black lanterns without the baf pieces I’ve got them.

$35 shipped

8. RodimusRex

RodimusRex Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    That Cyborg Superman is Supergirl's father Zor-El. It's been a bit hazy if he's still in continuity.

There was a reference recently to Supergirl's father, Zor-El, having died on Earth and the annoying thing about pinning that down is that it could be a reference to Cyborg Superman Zor-El (which would feel weird and superfluous since Hank Henshaw is back as a different Cyborg Superman) or whether it was a reference to pre-Flashpoint Zor-El being killed by Brainiac in Geoff Johns' run or whether there's some new, untold story of Zor-El's death.

IMHO, Supergirl is a character who needs to be ironed out and this spills over into things like toy selection here.

Currently, we have stories showing that Supergirl is a contemporary of Dick Grayson/Robin (maybe slightly older).

She died fighting the Anti-Monitor at some point.

She was around when Jon Kent was a baby, which is generally after Crisis but also around 13 years ago. (Jon is his own set of problems. Especially since he both got aged up AND got his secret identity back, which should raise red flags how Lois and Clark have a son people would think was born before they met. Since he's both accepted as a college age adult and their son.)

And people seem to drop references in to both New 52 and Flashpoint stories.

Woman of Tomorrow was meant to be out of continuity but is now being treated as essential because James Gunn is using it... and it centers on Supergirl's 21st birthday. Although there's nothing that clearly establishes when it's set relative to everything else. She has her second Rebirth costume in it but I'm not sure her costumes do much to pinpoint stories since the only costumes that seem to be definitively canon are her World's Finest costume, her WoT/Rebirth 2nd costume, and her motorcycle suit.

Power Girl is similarly messy as we have references to her being in the JSA 50 years ago in the 1970s without specifying which earth that was (I think it was implied to be the current JSA) but also stories which seem to play her as the same age as Supergirl. It's definitely the case that she crossed over from a dead Earth-2 and her solo book has Kal-L in flashbacks but it's extremely up in the air when she arroved here, with varying accounts suggesting that it was the 70s, the end of Crisis (my preference), or very recently (maybe hoping to erase her icky 90s JLI pregnancy stuff?).

I don't need everything spelled out exactly but basic things like roughly what ages characters are and what teams they've joined at what points feel too fluid.

The Titans are supposed to be the premiere team in the DCU right now with no Justice League active. So if Supergirl teams up with them, Nightwing should remember that they had a horrible date as teenagers where they kind of disliked one another for awhile. But is she approached as a peer? Or is was she dead long enough to be much younger? That itself feels like a character beat. If you went to high school with someone and they were now younger than you, it'd be on your mind.

And we've got weird stuff with various rogues. I know we've seen New 52 villains like Ulysses alongside 2000s villains like Pokolistanian Zod and Imperiex alongside modern Zod in group shots.

They recently had a reveal that the Silver Age Brainiac, Milton Fine version, Animated Brainiac, Brainiac 13 from the 2000s, and Johns Brainiac are a team working together. (Which I think slightly contradicts the idea from Johns' run that all others were decoys/probes... although I wasn't a huge fan of Johns doing that to both Brainiac and Toyman back to back. Both had the reveal that every version we knew was a fake decoy created by the newly revealed real one. Both reveals happened inside a six month period, I think.)

Again, I don't like Superman being a rookie or getting a complete reboot but when you have stuff like two Cyborg Supermen (one being Supergirl's dad) and two unrelated General Zods and various reasonable questions, I think it's fair to want a loose idea of how it fits together. And, for me, it does influence my toy collecting in terms of where stuff goes and what collections it fits.

• Like Like x 1
  9. baneter

baneter Well-Known Member

I love that we are getting new 52 versions of everyone. That’s when I first started reading comics. Hoping for a new 52 metallo and bane

• Like Like x 1
  10. fujishig

And it saves me some money! ;) 

• Like Like x 3
  11. Mirimus

Mirimus Member Known Well

• Like Like x 3
  12. Sylent

13. Fridaytron

Fridaytron Pirate cat connoisseur

Twitter:
    Oh I've stopped trying to make any sense of DC since about the new 52 or so. I'm sure there's people at the company trying to make it all work, but it just doesn't anymore.

I'd love for it to be a clean continuity that makes sense, but it literally can't be. There's too many versions of characters, and people love most of them. Even if they fixed everything tomorrow, 2 years from now writers will have used their pet versions and we'd have the same problems again.

With DC it's really best to just read what interests you and fully ignore all the rest. It's probably part of while I've been just getting Super Powers anymore too, they're all evergreen/iconic versions of the characters instead of niche ones like this cyborg Superman. I'm glad him and characters like him are being made for the people that want him, but it's not for me.

• Like Like x 2
  14. RKillian

RKillian http://www.rktoyandhobby.com

News Credits:
    @RodimusRex That entire post made me glad I watch the DC cartoons instead of read the DC comics.

• Like Like x 4
  15. Roufuss

Roufuss Shots

News Credits:
    Buddy of mine just grabbed me the Aquaman and John Stewart Platinums from Wal-Mart. Had no idea they were hitting there, so there is another place to keep an eye on if you’re looking.

No Superman though.

• Like Like x 3
  16. Sirtank

Sirtank Well-Known Member

Got Penguin, Captain Boomerang and Starfire today from Mcfarlane's site. All solid releases. I thought Boomerang's coat was going to be wired. The coat is still nice, but he's my least favorite of the three.

17. Mirimus

Mirimus Member Known Well

Been visiting Walmarts in anticipation of them hitting there - nothing so far in my area.

18. Roufuss

Roufuss Shots

News Credits:
    IMG_8773.jpeg IMG_8774.jpeg IMG_8775.jpeg

Atom includes a little version of himself.

Arrow includes a singular arrow along with the bunch.

19. northjason

northjason Well-Known Member

The older I get, the more I agree about the importance of ignoring bad continuity, whether it's "official cannon" or not. In my world, Spider-Man ends before the Strazyski run, DC ends at Flashpoint, and Lost only had 5 seasons.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Effigy

Effigy Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    A lot of the bad continuity gets fixed eventually. You singled out Spider-Man by Straczynski, that run was really great in the begnining especially, it's just Sin's Past and One More Day that bring that run hate, and Sin's Past has already been retconned and thrown out. One More day sadly, was mandated by management. And while it was a crappy decision, The Spider-Man comics that came after it in Brand New Day were terrific.