DC Comics Discussion

Discussion in 'Comic Books and Graphic Novels' started by Tekkaman Blade, May 31, 2011.

1. DrTraveler

DrTraveler Wheeljack, Wheeljack, Wheeljack

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    The thing I find most interesting about 5G is that we would have read along as the world changed.

A lot of beloved “future” stories at Marvel and DC start in the bad future and only reveal to us later what happened to make the world change. Batman Beyond, Miller’s Dark Knight, Kingdom Come, EarthX, the whole X-men future scape. Etc. With 5G we would have been along for the ride

• Like Like x 1
  2. DrTraveler

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Also, honest question: other than Nolan’s Dark Knight Trilogy, has there ever been a Batman or Superman story that sees Bruce or Clark retire without some level of tragedy or failure pushing them to that point?

“Whatever Happened To The Man Of Tomorrow” is a bleak story. Kingdom Come has Lois die and the public turn on Clark. Dark Knight heavily implies a Robin dies. I don’t recall what happened to Bruce for him to retire in Batman Beyond, but I don’t recall it being a happy retirement.

I’m thinking any story like 5G that wants to have an across the board generational change is going to have to explain Bruce and Clark being off the table. And it’s likely not going to be a happy story.

3. Issy543

Issy543 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Didn’t Superman and Batman: Generations do something similar to 5G? I’ve not read it, but I’m familiar with the premise.

4. Fenrys

Fenrys Formerly Tigatron2002

News Credits:
    The Arrowverse shows that Clark from the Smallville TV series gave up his powers and retired to be a father

5. DrTraveler

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I was thinking that may be the only other one after I posted this. I wish we knew more about that situation. Either way that was a good ending for the Smallville Superman.

• Like Like x 1
  6. The Barracuda

The Barracuda Retro, bitches.

Generations was a limited series by John Byrne that allowed the characters to age in real time from 1939. He did it by decade and it had the mantles being passed down to kids and proteges but it did have its share of tragedies. There was kind of a happy ending for Clark and Bruce at the end though.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2023
    • Like Like x 2
  7. Deathcatg

Deathcatg Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Bane should have become the new Spectre as a final irony towards Bruce.

8. Deathcatg

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    I think the biggest tragedy of that story is it hasn't seem to have gotten a collection in like 20 years.

9. The Barracuda

The Barracuda Retro, bitches.

Well, there were two sequels. I haven't read them but it seems there's more than enough material for a good sized collection, plus John Byrne's name does garner some attention.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Deathcatg

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Be a good time for it. I remember it had some very interesting twists, probably my favorite being Byrne capitalizing on the errors that gave Golden Age Lex Luthor the look of the original version of The Ultra Humanite.

11. smkspy

smkspy Remember true fans

There is an omnibus of it. Still decently priced too.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Deathcatg

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Oh cool, I didn't know that.

13. Issy543

News Credits:
  14. QLRformer

QLRformer Seeker

News Credits:
    Superman Debuts A Stunning, All-White Costume

"As Superman struggles to re-enter his life on Earth, we begin the story of his epic 20-year journey home with an encounter with spacefaring scavengers who transport the Man of Steel to an unnamed earthlike planet whose properties redefine the limits of his powers, while the world’s ecological and political turmoil beckons for his help."

[​IMG]

Now he looks like Metro Man.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 4
  15. Deathcatg

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    So does this mean Lois Lane eventually remarries to Brainiac?

• Like Like x 1
  16. Jochimus

Jochimus Some days you just can't get rid of a bomb!

Either that, or it's yet another homage to "Superman: The Movie"...
    superman-movie-screencaps.com-874.jpg

• Like Like x 4
  17. OmegaScourge

OmegaScourge Custom Made TFW2005 Supporter

Future Foundation suit? They even have a FF logo/building lol

18. Tekkaman Blade

Tekkaman Blade Professor of Animation

News Credits:
    That or he will be getting another new costume and they are trying to hide the design.

19. Issy543

News Credits:
    https://aiptcomics.com/2023/01/25/dawn-of-dc-2023-cyborg-titans-green-lantern/

Dawn of DC: Titans
    Tom Taylor (Nightwing, Adventures of Superman: Jon Kent) and artist Nicola Scott (Wonder Woman: Historia, Earth 2) are bringing the Titans to the forefront of the DC Universe starting this May.

The Dark Crisis is over and the Justice League is no more. Now, a new team has to rise and protect the earth…TITANS! The time has come for the Teen Titans to grow up. Each member joined as a much younger hero certain that one day they’d be invited to join the Justice League. Now they’re not just joining the League…they’re replacing it! Are the no-longer-teen heroes ready for the big leagues? Danger lurks around every corner as Super Heroes and Super-Villains alike challenge the new team before they’ve even begun. Will the DCU ever be the same? Find out in this landmark first issue available on May 16!

Dawn of DC: Green Lantern
    Green Lantern #1 is available at local comic shops on May 9 and also features part one of the John Stewart Green Lantern story from writer Phillip Kennedy Johnson (Action Comics) and artist Osvaldo Montos (Entropy)—a war journal epic begins anew.

The visionary  team of Jeremy Adams and Xermánico (Flashpoint Beyond) present a tale of redemption, loss, and finding out that maybe you can go home again, in Green Lantern. Spinning out of the events of Dark Crisis on Infinite Earths, the Guardians of Oa at the heart of the Green Lantern Corps have quarantined Sector 2814, home of the planet Earth—and its champion along with it! A heartbreaking defeat has sent Hal reeling, returning home to rediscover his roots…and find the man responsible for ruining his life: Sinestro. At least if you’re willing to hot-wire a power ring to do it.

Dawn of DC: Cyborg
    Writer Morgan Hampton from The Milestone Initiative Talent Development Program joins forces with veteran artist Tom Raney (Green Lantern, Uncanny X-Men) to give Cyborg the Dawn of DC epic he deserves starting on May 16!

When a family emergency brings Cyborg back home to Detroit, Victor Stone surprisingly finds himself enjoying returning to the simpler life–where everybody sees him for who he really is and always was, rather than a larger-than-life superhero. It’s been a while since Vic’s been able to lower his guard and seek a purpose outside of being Cyborg 24/7. But a lot has changed in Detroit while Victor’s been away. An aggressive new company is turning the Motor City into an overclocked engine for revolutionary artificial intelligence…and no one knows better than Cyborg that technological transformation always comes at a steep human price! Fans can also get a preview of what’s to come for Cyborg in Hampton’s story in DC Power: A Celebration available on January 31.
    156D7C07-FB3C-4CF3-9F70-7DB7954695A3.jpeg
    E0CAB837-FC4C-4172-8E02-8192E3D43CF5.jpeg 5491683E-B391-4076-9886-6D653C61AA83.jpeg 2DBE4582-1F2B-423E-B840-7BC30AB9CEB0.jpeg 6C97351C-0043-4FB9-9F91-56E6A481B864.jpeg 18F842A5-E3FF-4214-884B-6326764E0575.jpeg

• Like Like x 2
  20. QLRformer

QLRformer Seeker

News Credits:
    • Like Like x 5