DC Comics Discussion

Discussion in 'Comic Books and Graphic Novels' started by Tekkaman Blade, May 31, 2011.

1. OmegaScourge

OmegaScourge Custom Made TFW2005 Supporter

Wildstorm and WildC.A.T.s blast DC back to the '90s this November

2. onnsake

onnsake champ

News Credits:
    Other than the Catwoman cover, which looks like it was actually drawn by the original 90s Catwoman artist Jim Balent, none of these look even remotely close to the art styles of the 1990s.

The Harley cover is particularly egregious. Nobody was drawing in that manga rip-off style in the 90s except for Adam Warren, and his stuff looked a lot more polished than that.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Shattered Trousers

Shattered Trousers That thing Ratchet needed.

News Credits:
    That Catwoman #49 cover actually is drawn by '90's Catwoman artist Jim Balent.

The covers posted aren't a great selection.
    Tim Drake: Robin #3 by Todd Nauck is very true to the '90's art style.

20220820_013601.jpg

Chris Burnham also gets it, riffing on Rob Liefeld's style for Batman Incorporated #2.

20220820_013621.jpg

Detective Comics
    #1066 by Kyle Hotz is also a very convincing copy of what Kelley Jones did in the '90's.

20220820_013638.jpg

I think Roger Cruz is just making fun of Superman's '90's mullet on the cover of Action Comics #1049, rather than trying to emulate any '90's artists.

~L~

• Like Like x 1
  4. G1Prowl

G1Prowl Prick, apparently

News Credits:
    Yeah, that was almost note for note the Jones cover where Bane breaks Batman's back.

5. Deathcatg

Deathcatg Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    I checked the article to make sure that was Balent. Actually seemed tamed to the "Tarot: Witch of the Black Rose" art I got used to from him.

6. Issy543

Issy543 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
  7. Cool Hand Lube

Cool Hand Lube Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    WTF is going on with the anatomy on that Catwoman cover? That right leg is WAY off, looks like my nephew's drawings.

8. QLRformer

QLRformer Seeker

News Credits:
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Andersonh1

Andersonh1 Man, I've been here a LONG time Veteran

Ebay:
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Andersonh1

Ebay:
    Grant Morrison has been writing annotations on Season 2 of The Green Lantern over on his Substack that make more sense of some of the harder to figure out parts of season 2. We might have dodged a bullet with Dan Didio's firing and the scrapping of 5G as well, because the intention was to retire Hal as GL and replace him with "a more diverse" Green Lantern, although I honestly think we're seeing that anyway with how John Stewart and Jo Mullein are being pushed front and center, with Kyle and Guy barely seen for the last year, and Hal often relegated to supporting status rather than lead.

There are five pages of notes about TGL season 2. I'll say one thing for him, he certainly has a tendency to place characters that no one else probably remembers from Silver Age books into the series. I caught his references to stuff that I have read, but a lot of the things he mentions I have never read. At least he enjoyed making the connections!

part 1 https://grantmorrison.substack.com/p/25 ... nnotations
    part 2 https://grantmorrison.substack.com/p/31 ... nnotations
    part 3 https://grantmorrison.substack.com/p/20 ... nnotations
    part 4 https://grantmorrison.substack.com/p/30 ... nnotations
    part 5 https://grantmorrison.substack.com/p/65 ... nnotations

11. smkspy

smkspy Remember true fans

WB/DC would be insane to retire Hal yet again. Leave John in the JLA, but have Hal in the main GL title. Just hire a high-profile writer to pen a new Hal series. Really wish Morrison hadn't given up on the series after two years. Maybe get Warren Ellis or Hickman?

• Like Like x 1
  12. Andersonh1

Ebay:
    You're absolutely right. Hal is the only one to carry a solo series for any length of time, other than Kyle (and they got rid of all the other GL characters at the time so it was him or nothing.) John and Guy have had relatively short runs as lead character in a series, but they're essentially supporting characters in the GL franchise. They've never been developed the way Hal and Kyle have with a rogue's gallery of enemies and a consistent supporting cast of characters. It's not to say they couldn't be developed, but seems like if it was going to work, it would have been done by now.

After decades we're still talking about John Stewart losing his wife and allowing Xanshi to be destroyed, which tells us exactly how many memorable storylines he's been a part of.

• Like Like x 2
  13. smkspy

smkspy Remember true fans

Yeah, I love John, but his claim to fame is being part of JL animated. It really is a small amount of years compared to Hal. I think whole GL concept is an easy out for DC to be progressive, and that sucks cause it display that it's the way they view the franchise.

• Like Like x 1
  14. QLRformer

QLRformer Seeker

News Credits:
    • Like Like x 1
  15. Deathcatg

Deathcatg Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
  16. SHINOBI03

SHINOBI03 Well-Known Member

Latest DC comic I read was Batman Reptilian.

Not sure if I'll catch flack for this, but it wasn't good. It was more weird but not good. I've people liking and praising its art, but to me the art is one of the worst things about for being all over the place and the colors are so dark and murky I couldn't tell what was going on or who is talking to whom. Also Batman's personality was way off as he kept making snarky remarks like he was Dick or Jason under the cowl.

And then the retconned origin of Killer Croc and what did they do to him and his "child" and all that stuff... why? Why is it so hard to make him just a guy with reptile skin instead of all that alien chemical nonsense or turning to a mother because "reptile things"?

17. Issy543

News Credits:
    I believe in Future State, an what-if future scenario, she is “Wonder Wonder,” but in the present DC timeline, she is “Wonder Girl.”

• Like Like x 1
  18. Issy543

News Credits:
    DC and Universal Distribution enter new comic book Direct Market distribution agreement

DC officially has a new distributor for the specialty comic book Direct Market: Universal Distribution(opens in new tab), a Canadian company that's been distributing comics, tabletop games, and more for 30+ years. The two companies signed a new global agreement on September 1, which goes into effect in October.

Under this new agreement, starting in October retailers can order DC periodicals, collected editions, and graphic novels that go on sale beginning in January 2023 and beyond through Universal Distribution.

DC broke ties with Diamond Comic Distributors in 2020 and ended a 25+ year relationship in which Diamond was DC's exclusive distributor. At the time, DC announced it would team with Lunar Distribution and UCS Distributors, though the latter relationship dissolved in 2021. When DC announced its decision to split with Diamond, retailers who spoke to Newsarama were initially unhappy about the news.

Following DC's move to a multi-distributor sales model, Marvel Comicsand IDW Publishing also cut ties with Diamond, effectively ending the then-distribution giant's quarter-century monopoly on Direct Market comic book distribution.

Although the long-term future of the relationship between DC and Lunar, Diamond UK, and now Universal, respectively, remains to be seen, for now DC's new agreement with Universal Distribution means retailers will once again have a choice of where to place their Direct Market sales when historically they've had only one.

19. Issy543

News Credits:
    DC Sends the Flash Into a 60 Second War - and a Twice-Monthly Schedule

The Flash has his work cut out for him next year as he goes up against an entire army within the span of a minute -- all while his book begins publishing on a twice-monthly schedule.

CBR can exclusively reveal "One Minute War," the next story arc to embroil DC's Scarlet Speedster. Beginning in January's The Flash #790, which also kicks off the series' twice-monthly schedule, "One Minute War" sees the Flash facing an armada of aliens who are also connected with the Speed Force. As speedsters collide, one of the most intense battles the Earth has ever known wages within a mere minute.

THE FLASH #790
    • As any super-speedster worth their salt will tell you, time can move pretty slow for the incredibly fast. So what happens when an entire armada of conquering speedster aliens shows up on Earth’s doorstep? The most intense battle the Earth has ever waged in the span of 60 seconds begins!
    • Written by JEREMY ADAMS
    • Art by ROGER CRUZ
    • Cover by TAURIN CLARKE
    • Variant covers by DANIEL BAYLISS and TBD
    • 1:25 variant cover by Ibrahim Moustafa
    • 1:50 foil variant cover by Taurin Clarke
    • $3.99 US | 32 pages | Variant $4.99 US (card stock)
    • ON SALE 1/3/23
    Writer Jeremy Adams sat down with CBR for an exclusive interview to discuss the "One Minute Army" story arc, emphasizing that the metaplot would lean into the idea of how regular time seems slow for superpowered beings capable of moving faster than light. "For speedsters, time generally moves differently. As we've seen in countless movies, when a speedster moves, everything around them slows down," Adams said. "Now, you add these Conquerors - the Fraction. An alien empire that uses the Speed Force like we use solar, or nuclear. They move as fast as our speedsters, so our guys' advantage is kind of nullified. And because they're moving so fast, the idea that this war happens in one minute of current continuity just kind of struck me as cool."

While this might be the first instance the Flash has fought an army within a minute, Barry Allen has found himself up against other alien forces threatening the Speed Force. Aquaman & The Flash: Voidsong, a three-issue limited series that wrapped up in August, saw Barry working alongside Aquaman to fight a fleet of aliens who possessed an eldritch song that let them freeze humanity in place.

Barry learned that the aliens fed on kinetic energy emanating from the Speed Force in Aquaman & The Flash: Voidsong #2 and had silenced multiple planets by rendering them completely inert. Much to his dismay, Barry also discovered that Aquaman and the other residents of Atlantis were attempting their own experiments with the Speed Force, hoping to use it as fuel for a space program dubbed Typhoon. While Barry was angry to learn that his friend had been working behind his back, the two heroes ultimately put aside their differences to save the world.

The Flash #790 is written by Adams and illustrated by Roger Cruz, with covers by Taurin Clarke, Daniel Bayliss, Ibrahim Moustafa and Taurin Clarke. The issue goes on sale Jan. 3 from DC Comics.

29D83842-4B2F-4C6D-8105-8D409BB493AE.jpeg
    80CCEBC1-A728-4B23-BBF6-139C7B5F2A8A.jpeg
    F9D08E7D-6296-4F28-8AA5-1FB16A0E5424.jpeg
    57AFF903-5461-40ED-BD7D-90FF713B5B39.jpeg

20. Andersonh1

Ebay:
    Picked up a facsimile edition of Detective Comics #27 today. Pretty nice to see all of those other stories that normally get ignored all restored and presented alongside Batman's first story. I enjoy it when DC publishes these replica comics. Nice to see a little history re-presented for the modern audience.

• Like Like x 1