DC Comics Discussion

Discussion in 'Comic Books and Graphic Novels' started by Tekkaman Blade, May 31, 2011.

1. Issy543

Issy543 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    • Like Like x 2
  2. Megastar

Megastar Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    That works for me.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Issy543

News Credits:
    DC’s Fables Returns, Gets Black Label Batman Crossover Series (cbr.com)

DC Comics is returning to Fabletown.

Fables co-creators Bill Willingham and Mark Buckingham will reunite for a 12-issue Black Label run titled "The Black Forest." It will pick up after the events of Fables #150, while also serving as a launch point for new readers. Along with writer Willingham and penciler Buckingham, original Fables inker Steve Leialoha, colorist Lee Loughridge and letterer Todd Klein will also return.

"We introduce a great new character and catch up with many of our most beloved characters from the previous issues," said Willingham. "Mark Buckingham has agreed to draw all twelve issues of this tale and I believe he's doing the best work of his career. Yes, I know I've said that several times before, but can I help it if he keeps getting better and better?" Fables #151 will go on sale in May 2022.

Willingham will also write a six-issue Black Label crossover series starring Batman and Fables' Bigby Wolf, which will hit shelves this September. Titled Batman vs. Bigby! A Wolf in Gotham, the noir mystery series will see the Caped Crusader face off against the infamous sleuth. Brian Level is on pencil duty, while inks and colors will be done by Jay Leisten and Loughridge, respectively.

"I've wanted to do this since the very first year of Fables," said Willingham. "Why? Because Batman is a detective, and Bigby is a detective, and I love a well-crafted story crossing over characters from two different fictional worlds. It's automatically a fish-out-of-water story for at least one of the main characters, and that sort of story always works. Plus, I knew from the very beginning of Fables that my fictional universe would allow for many ways to get Bigby Wolf into the DCU and Gotham City. Even though those cosmic story structures wouldn’t be introduced in the Fables books for a year or more, they were baked in from the very beginning."

Finally, Willingham will all write Cursemas, a 48-page holiday special centered on the Justice League. The rest of the creative team and a release window were not announced.

Fables's original run ran from 2002 to 2015 for 150 issues. Set in the modern day, it follows classic fairy tale characters — such as Snow White, Prince Charming and Rapunzel — who are forced to set up a hidden community in New York City after their Homelands are invaded and taken over by the Adversary.

Written by Bill Willingham, with art by Brian Level, Batman vs. Bigby! A Wolf in Gotham #1 goes in sale this September.

Written by Bill Willingham and illustrated by Mark Buckingham, Fables #151 goes on sale in May 2022.

Written by Bill Willingham, Cursemas #1 goes not have a release date.

upload_2021-6-11_2-38-26.png
    upload_2021-6-11_2-38-34.png

• Like Like x 3
  4. Megastar

News Credits:
    What's next Bigby joining the Justice League Dark?

5. Deathcatg

Deathcatg Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    After Marvel having Conan the Barbarian still in the present Marvel world through "Savage Avengers" for the last couple years and ongoing, I wouldn't be surprised.
    Conan-Spider-Man.jpg

6. Megastar

News Credits:
    I wouldn't really be oppose to it, if they keep him a werewolf detective and his interactions with Wonder Woman would be interesting since she's technically a Fable.

And just imagine his reaction to fighting the Queen of Fables.

• Like Like x 1
  7. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    Sounds like an okay team, but I'm still bitter they ended the Christopher Priest series. I don't think I'm interested enough in the character without him writing it.

8. QLRformer

QLRformer Seeker

News Credits:
    June 12 was Superman Day.

[​IMG]
    Drew Struzan artwork.

Though times are grimmer and more cynical, let us try to have hope for tomorrow and be optimistic as Superman is.

Happy Superman Day.

• Like Like x 5
  9. Andersonh1

Andersonh1 Man, I've been here a LONG time Veteran

Ebay:
    This is the first time in years that I'm not buying a monthly DC series of some sort. My monthly comics reading is all the Transformers series at IDW, and Fantastic Four at Marvel. Hawkman ended, the Green Lantern ended, Justice League lost my interest, and I thought about reading Flash now that Wally's the main character, but I can't bring myself to pay $5 for a monthly book.

But that's okay. The less I spend on monthly series, the more I can save up for collected editions of older material, which is what I like more these days anyway.

10. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    Yeah, that's been my approach for the past decade or more. Although I do think DC has some great comics at the moment. Besides Joker and Nightwing, Strange Adventures and Rorschach are both really interesting.

Rorschach is the first time DC has done anything even slightly worthwhile with Watchmen after the original series. It's not just a cheap, hollow imitation cash-in like Before Watchmen. I was hooked when I realized they were using a direct Steve Ditko analogue as the would-be assassin of the Presidential nominee, delving into Ditko's politics, objectivist beliefs and bitterness toward the world. Literally making Ditko into his own Qustion/Mr. A creation. But then they start using actual crazy crackpot old man comic creator Frank Miller (by name!) as a character in the story, too. It's bizarre and fascinating.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Issy543

News Credits:
    Nightwing (2016 -) #81 potentially has a significant impact on the character if it’s true:

Dick Grayson has a long lost sister.

Man, I wish Nightwing was bi-weekly; I’d happily pay for two issues per month.

Edit: Wrote Bi-monthly instead for bi-weekly.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2021
    • Like Like x 2
  12. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    That's bi-weekly. Bi-monthly means once every two months. But yeah, it's hard waiting for the next issue (which is such a rare feeling these days). Although there's no way Redondo could draw it that fast, and I'd rather not have fill-in art. Taylor and Redondo are such a great team.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Megastar

News Credits:
    So does this mean there was more behind the Grayson's death?

• Like Like x 1
  14. Tekkaman Blade

Tekkaman Blade Professor of Animation

News Credits:
    Didn't they do the same thing with Spider-man?

• Like Like x 1
  15. Issy543

News Credits:
    Yes, and she’s currently making her appearance in the Amazing Spider-Man comics, and also appeared in the last Spectacular Spider-Man comic, which is why I’m hoping Nightwing goes in a slightly different direction with this plot element.

Possibly. Next issue will hopefully clear it up.

16. Megastar

News Credits:
    I always thought the Court of Owls would have really been behind the Grayson's deaths and Zucco was just the fall/trigger man.

• Like Like x 1
  17. QLRformer

QLRformer Seeker

News Credits:
    New Superman Manga Details Hero's Struggle to Find Lunch

The new manga series will feature the Kryptonian hero flying to restaurants across Japan as he samples and critiques the country's cuisine. The first images from the series reveal Superman is apparently very fond of rice bowls.

[​IMG]

Superman meets Solitary Gourmet. Sounds like fun.

• Like Like x 3
  18. Tekkaman Blade

News Credits:
    So apparently Tim Drake is gay now? That came out of nowhere. Honestly Damian being gay would have made more sense. Tim history doesn't really follow with the change. Well nothing I can do about it. Just another change for change's sake. Maybe the TV version will be gay or something, I think it's already a race swap. For continuity fans like me the way they are doing these things is just annoying.

19. Megastar

News Credits:
    I always figured him to be bisexual and in a relationship with Superboy (Connor) and what's your source that he's gay now?

I also think it would make more sense for Jason to be gay and Damien to be either asexual or pansexual.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2021
  20. Tekkaman Blade

News Credits:
    Batman Urban Legends #4 it was I think. I could see him maybe being Bi but gay doesn’t make sense after pretty much two decades of him dating girls. Especially Stephanie/ Spoiler. But if they are gonna do this they need several issues of explaining. The problem with most modern comics writers is they just decide their orientation has changed and just start writing the character that way with no talks about why when they came to the revelations etc. They just ignore history the character has changed sexual orientation.

this will really piss off Tim/Steph shippers

Last edited: Jun 16, 2021