DC Comics Discussion

Discussion in 'Comic Books and Graphic Novels' started by Tekkaman Blade, May 31, 2011.

1. Megastar

Megastar Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Those people will find work and some of them already have and let's not pretend they got fired because DC's stuff isn't selling or because they're bad at their jobs. Half of them were people who have been there for decades for DC's highs and lows. The new people that come in will either be no better at the job at best or the worst case scenario is they don't care about comics.

They say never meet your heroes for a reason and most artists can be assholes. Your favorite band, actor, or artist could be a complete jerk and you'd never know.

Either way as long as they're not actually hurting anybody and can do their jobs, I don't care if they're a little "mean" on social media.

2. TheLastBlade

TheLastBlade Well-Known Member

They find work with other failing comic companies. And yes, most of them got laid off because DC are horrible at management. There are a couple of reasons on how people get axed, and I laugh at every time they try to hide it when the comic industry keeps claiming record revenue each year.

Except they want us all to know they hate everyone.

Oh, I WISH saying mean things on twitter was all they did.

3. Megastar

Megastar Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Okay believe whatever you want to believe I really don't care about these senseless arguments that go in circles anymore.

Last edited: May 14, 2021
  4. Omegashark18

Omegashark18 Combaticon turned Autobot

News Credits:
    Woah, this is the last thing I expected from you with a spin-off from an event. Especially one with an oversaturated character such as the Joker.

If anything this has me looking forward to reading Tynion’s Batman run.

• Like Like x 1
  5. DrTraveler

DrTraveler Wheeljack, Wheeljack, Wheeljack

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Yeah, don’t interact with your favorite on Twitter. Just don’t. They’re human and entitled to their opinions, and if you’re an ass best you can hope for is they ignore you.

• Like Like x 2
  6. Cool Hand Lube

Cool Hand Lube Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Totally. Also, the creators should know better than to read the damn comments much less interact with randos on the internet.

7. DrTraveler

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I follow Scalzi on Twitter and he publicly has a quick ban policy. No commentary on tweets that attack or insult him, just quick ban.

Ultimately social media just isn’t a good way to get feedback, especially for established authors/artists. Direct customer feedback is almost useless across most industries.

• Like Like x 1
  8. TheLastBlade

Shame that most creators take it poorly (again, I really wish mean comments was it...).

9. DrTraveler

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Very very few people are capable of taking even well worded constructive criticism well. And most internet comments aren’t well worded constructive criticism. I’m surprised more artists don’t melt down on Twitter on a regular basis.

I actually have an email clause in my syllabi laying out expectations for professional communication, with the warning that unprofessional emails will at best “be ignored.”

Hickman deleted his Twitter not long back and that was probably the best decision he could make. Once you’re established social media is all downside.

• Like Like x 1
  10. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    Some people handle it well. Tom Taylor comes to mind. And I think even for established writers, having some way to directly and instantly promote upcoming projects to thousands of people is hugely important, especially with the way the industry is changing and struggling under covid. I don't think it's possible to overestimate the benefit of being able to remind people your new book is coming out on the actual new comic day.

But it's just like Batman said, "Comic creators are an insecure and easily-bruised lot."

11. DrTraveler

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Yeah some do. And it is useful, if you can manage it well. But I find the numbers that can handle online criticism well is small.

Different topic: AT&T is spinning off Warner media to merge with Discovery. There’s links everywhere, but no official word on DC comics. It’s expected they’re part of the merger.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Star Saber

Star Saber Cybertron 5th Commander

News Credits:
    Certainly seems its because At&t cant figure out how to run them properly. Ive read some of the news pieces where Discovery’s people believe focusing on the content will be key, hopefully it’s true in execution and not just said for PR’s sake.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Issy543

Issy543 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    AT&T's ownership of WarnerMedia for three years only to spin it off reminds me of when AOL accquired their predecessor Time Warner; a technology company accquiring a media company did seem odd, although I don't know if I'm over-simplfying the comparisions.

Since Discovery has more knowledge and experience in producing content and reaching a global audience, I am somewhat more confident in their ability of managing WarnerMedia and delivering content, although only time will tell.

I think for DC Comics' comic division, it likely won't mean much, except for the possability of a mini series with Guy Fieri and the Justice League for a road trip food adventure :p 

14. DrTraveler

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    After sitting with the news awhile I’m actually thinking this is all good news for DC comics. There were a lot of rumors that AT&T was on the verge of closing down the shop, and plenty of circumstantial evidence that things were heading that way. Discovery probably has a better understanding of IP and media integration, and as such I’d be cautiously optimistic if I were working for DC. Because of the IP generation for Disney Marvel has been in a pretty stable position throughout all of this.

• Like Like x 2
  15. TheLastBlade

If Discovery makes the same mistakes, then the future for DC may be uncertain.

16. Issy543

News Credits:
    So far, I've been pretty satisfied with DC Infinite Frontier. While Batman has been going in the same direction it had prior to March, the other series, such as Nightwing, Wonder Woman and Detective Comics, have been a breath of fresh air, with the new creative teams taking the characters in directions that makes me interested into where they are heading.

My only wish was that Nightwing had more pages. 22 pages, while enough to progress the story, and leave me satisfied, makes me wish I had more material to read. Still, it's definitely the standout comic series from Infinite Frontier. The art is great, and the writing definitely helps Dick Grayson and the rest of the cast standout.

I'm also following Robin, since I'm a fan of Joshua Williamson, due to his run on The Flash, and I'm excited to see what he'll do with Damian.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Tetratron

Tetratron AEColyte

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    I'd agree atm. The WW book has been pretty good so far, odd issue here aside most of I've enjoyed since Rucka left.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Issy543

News Credits:
    Batman's next big event storyline begins in August's Fear State | GamesRadar+

'Fear State' crosses over the ongoing Catwoman and Harley Quinn comic book series with a pair of new titles as the machinations of the redesigned Scarecrow come to a head, as he sends Gotham City "straight to Hell."

"Fear State not only continues the Scarecrow's vision of a fear-controlled Gotham but also Mayor Christopher Nakano's mission to protect the city with his ground-breaking deal with the Magistrate," reads DC's description.

According to the publisher, in addition to launching several new series and plotlines across the entire Batman family of titles, the event sets up "a new status quo for 2022!"

upload_2021-5-20_7-18-42.jpeg

Aquaman celebrates 80th anniversary in 100-page special | GamesRadar+

Out on 31st August:

upload_2021-5-20_7-20-9.jpeg

• Like Like x 3
  19. Deathcatg

Deathcatg Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Jonathan Crane, you kook.
    200fhtryyrt.gif

• Like Like x 2
  20. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    I do like the new Scarcrow look, but I'm not crazy about how some of the current Infinite Frontier books seem to be sprinting towards reaching the starting point of the Future State stories. Future State was mildly amusing as some kind of far off possible future thing, but the Future State stories all felt like creative dead ends that there was no way to continue from. The Batman books especially. I do not want to see Gotham being run by the Magistrate and all that other silly shit.

• Like Like x 1