DC Comics Discussion

Discussion in 'Comic Books and Graphic Novels' started by Tekkaman Blade, May 31, 2011.

1. Omegashark18

Omegashark18 Combaticon turned Autobot

News Credits:
  2. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    DC has been behind big time since distribution opened up and DC could no longer mandate the number of titles Marvel put out. And arguably, you could say DC was behind in popularity since a few years into the existence of Spider-Man and the Fantastic Four.

DC spent the entire 1960s pretending there wasn't a problem and continuing to do things in the old way that people weren't responding to anymore. They slowly started adapting and adopting some of Marvel's storytelling and approach to character in the 1970s, and then much more in the 1980s, but they never caught up. In all the 40 or so years of the Direct Market, I think DC has beaten Marvel in sales only a handful of times. Something ridiculous like three or four times.

And I say all that as someone who likes DC a lot more than Marvel. But Marvel all the way back from the Stan and Jack and Steve days, all the way up until today, has always had a better finger on the pulse of society and culture. Always.

tl;dr: Of course Marvel is winning. That should be a surprise to no one.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Omegashark18

Omegashark18 Combaticon turned Autobot

News Credits:
    I could say my entire collection reflects this perfectly because it’s mostly Marvel(quadruple digits) whereas DC is only in triple digits.

4. Issy543

Issy543 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
  5. QLRformer

QLRformer Seeker

News Credits:
  6. QLRformer

QLRformer Seeker

News Credits:
  7. Mudslide

Mudslide Eyes rolled so hard they fell out of my head.

:lolol 

8. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    I'm sure he overreacted because on some level, he knows that hairline looks weird af. It looks like a haircut a mom would give her kid accidentally. I mean, if the character has a receding hairline, that's fine, but nobody else draws President Superman that way.

9. NSJ23

NSJ23 Not today Chumly, not today.

that hairline is beyond terrible....

The Joker book continues to be my favorite thing right now.

10. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    That Joker book is freaking phenomenal.

And I don't like the Joker! At all! In Joker's entire 80 year existence, I can probably count the number of times I've found Joker interesting in a comic book on the fingers of one hand. And even if you count all outside media, maybe both hands. But this is one of them. This is a great, great book so far.

Jim Gordon really gets to be his own character with his own believable thoughts and agenda, rather than just someone for Batman to bounce off of. Characters like Barbara, Cassandra Cain, Stephanie Brown... all feel like the real authentic characters for what could be the first time since before the New 52. Seriously, between this book and the excellent new Nightwing series, it's like a new Golden Age for the Batman supporting cast! I can't say enough good things about both books.

Plus, the art on both Joker and Nightwing is just amazing. Guillam March and Bruno Redondo are two of the very best artists (coincidentally, they both ink themselves, too) working in American comics today.

• Like Like x 3
  11. Dr Kain

Dr Kain Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Wow. Imagine if I told one of my students to fuck off. I would have been fired immediately.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Megastar

Megastar Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    That's not really a good analogy since he wasn't talkin to a student or an employee but rather someone who messaged him on Twitter.

And no writers and artists don't have to be nice to you when you say their work sucks.

• Like Like x 2
  13. Dr Kain

Dr Kain Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Just because they don't have to be nice does not mean they shouldn't be professional about it.

Also, if you're going to do a piece of art, you have to accept there will be criticism good or bad. I know for a fact that not everyone is going to like my videos, but when I get someone that says something like, "This video is utter garbage and you suck," I ask them what I could improve upon to obtain their viewership.

Lastly, I think recent events in regards to Hartley and Carano prove that what you say on Twitter is very important.

Last edited: May 14, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  14. TheLastBlade

TheLastBlade Well-Known Member

Well, when they decide to live on twitter....

15. Tekkaman Blade

Tekkaman Blade Professor of Animation

News Credits:
    That a problem with a lot of current comic creators telling people if they don't like their work don't buy it. We are gonna do what we want. Well after hearing it for so long people are taking them up on their suggestion not to buy.
    They need to stop thinking as all critiques as toxic and remember that they are there to cater to a customer base.
    Keep telling your customers to fuck off when they comment on the quality and eventually they go spend their money somewhere else.

• Like Like x 2
  16. TheLastBlade

Which makes me laugh every time they go "Why is no one buying our comics?!" and goes straight to blaming anyone but themselves. Seriously, people are only doing what DC told them to do. Maybe a good start for them is to shut the fuck up and stop using twitter if they want money so bad.

17. Megastar

News Credits:
    Actually it does, because they're not under contract to be a freaking role model or to always be polite and professional with you if you don't like someone being real with you, then and hey maybe it's best not to insult.

There's criticism and then that's just insulting and the person he curse that was just insulting his work and no we do not have to ask that person how you can improve because sometimes some people just need to be told to STFU.

That's not a excuse and most artists need social media to work.

• Like Like x 1
  18. TheLastBlade

I’ve seen the type of shit they post and the garbage they advocate. If they had to use it to promote work AND be unpleasant in the same account? That’s pretty much asking for it.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Megastar

News Credits:
    And they'll still get paid and probably do some creator owned stuff that will make more money than catering to an aging fanbase, so who's the real winner here?

20. TheLastBlade

I dunno, let’s ask the many people that worked and got fired from DC. I’m sure that more of them will appreciate being next.

And thanks for telling me that you’re ok with them being assholes on twitter. Really makes me glad to know the line is crossed if people decide to hate them back.