DC Comics Discussion

Discussion in 'Comic Books and Graphic Novels' started by Tekkaman Blade, May 31, 2011.

1. DrTraveler

DrTraveler Wheeljack, Wheeljack, Wheeljack

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    The 50’s sucked for a lot of mediums. And they did eventually thrive and grow. So as bad as all that was, that’s not entirely the story.

I am not convinced we will ever see super hero comics be anywhere near as large an industry as they were in the 90’s. Most of those sales were driven by speculators, and that fad isn’t coming back. I could write paragraphs and paragraphs on why I think we will never get back to those heights of sales due to complex issues like the competition for attention from digital mediums, the essentially frozen status quo, the catering to the direct market, and the incestuous nature of the industry. But put it all together and the story is that I just do not see a way forward for the comic book medium as far as superheroes go.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Issy543

Issy543 TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
  3. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    Fuck. Fuck fuck fuck.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Omegashark18

Omegashark18 Combaticon turned Autobot

News Credits:
    At least these are getting proper finales, unlike all the Marvel books that have been just up and ending with issues that were still in the pipeline.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Andersonh1

Andersonh1 Man, I've been here a LONG time Veteran

Ebay:
    I hate to see Hawkman go. That's been a very good book that has hopefully "fixed" Hawkman if future writers will stick with Venditti's stories.

• Like Like x 4
  6. Issy543

Issy543 TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    DC Has Over 200 Free Comics To Read During DC Fandome Next Weekend

22nd August is going to be fun day for DC fans, and it looks like they’re giving away some freebies:

Bleeding Cool has just run the complete comic book panel list for DC Fandome, the upcoming DC online convention experience that, by itself, is bigger than ReedPOP's Metaverse event on today. But we also noted that DC will be making over two hundred of their comic books available for reading, free, but just for the period of DC Fandome which will run from Saturday August 22nd from 10am PT/1pm ET/6pm BST for twenty-four hours, until Sunday August 23rd from 10am PT/1pm ET/6pm BST. We don't know which comic books, but this illustrative panel suggest that the MEtal crossover may be among them – and handily teeing people up to buy the current Metal sequel, Death Metal.

While kids, they will have access to previews to the kids original graphic novels that DC has been publishing for an age.

Here are the links and details, with BST timings…

Comic Reader
    Saturday, Aug 22 – 6:00 PM – Sunday, Aug 23 – 6:00 PM
    FunVerse

Check out more than 200 digital comic books available to read for FREE during DC FanDome. On Demand

DC Kids Comic Book Reader
    Saturday, Aug 22 – 6:00 PM – Sunday, Aug 23 – 6:00 PM
    KidsVerse

Enjoy previewing a selection of free comics starring Batman, Superman, Wonder Woman and more of your favorite DC Super Heroes. On Demand

Presumably, it will use the current DC Comics digital web reader or App, and this may be a way to introduce fans of the DC characters in other media, directly into the comic books. And hopefully provide a step to finding more, whether digitally or in print. But what DC Fandome – and this offer – will really achieve is to collect a whole bunch of potential DC Comics readers details and contacts, so handy if DC is making a move away from the comic book shop. This could be a very different kind of "direct market". It all starts in one week's time.

7. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    Yeah, that's true. Although I don't think Young Justice and Suicide Squad were really intended to finish at this point. Young Justice is barely finishing setting up the team's new status quo and has yet to finish revealing where the characters have been and how they remember each other. Likewise, Suicide Squad has barely finished establishing most of the new characters and showing their back stories. Getting us ready for new adventures we'll now never read.

I think a smaller line is probably the most pragmatic way of weathering the current industry downturn due to the virus. But it means even less variety of material for fans. If you thought DC was Bat-centric before, I have a feeling that's going to get worse. It's unfortunate on a lot of levels, not least of which is all the creators who will be out of work, in addition to all the editors and production staff who are now already out of work. It's not like Marvel or smaller publishers are going to be hiring any time in the foreseeable future, either. So all these people and their families are going to be in a really tough position.

• Like Like x 2
  8. The Barracuda

The Barracuda Retro, bitches.

They're cancelling Hawkman?! Fuck that shit...

9. Tekkaman Blade

Tekkaman Blade Professor of Animation

News Credits:
    I'm guessing we may be getting a smaller relaunch now that they have canceled that generations thing they were planning. Many of the books were starting to set that up in the stories. So likely they have a new plan they are going with. We will have to see how that turns out.

10. Omegashark18

News Credits:
  11. Omegashark18

News Credits:
    Seems Taylor planned for this.

https://twitter.com/TomTaylorMade/status/1294308408045125638

• Like Like x 1
  12. Megastar

Megastar Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Things just keep getting worse!

13. QLRformer

QLRformer Seeker

News Credits:
    DC to Introduce the Composite Batman/Superman in November

[​IMG]

Originally a completely separate character created by Edmond Hamilton and Curt Swan for 1964's World's Finest Comics #142, the Composite Superman was a recurring opponent for the Man of Steel and Dark Knight.

This incarnation of the character is a fusion created by Brainiac.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Omegashark18

News Credits:
  15. Tetratron

Tetratron Well-Known Member

I imagine some of these were already planned to be ended given the rumors of the post-Death Metal relaunch.

Heard good things about the Aquaman and Hawkman books also so maybe when that gets all collected in trade I'll check them out.

• Like Like x 1
  16. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
  17. Tekkaman Blade

News Credits:
  18. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
  19. Tekkaman Blade

News Credits:
  20. Omegashark18

News Credits:
    And it wasn’t even getting cut short, what’s the longest run Taylor’s ever done? Longest I’ve seen from him was All-New Wolverine with 35 issues.