DC Comics Discussion

Discussion in 'Comic Books and Graphic Novels' started by Tekkaman Blade, May 31, 2011.

1. Tekkaman Blade

Tekkaman Blade Professor of Animation

News Credits:
    Didio is gone and presumably Jim Lee is in charge, are you surprised he would push his characters?

2. Tekkaman Blade

Tekkaman Blade Professor of Animation

News Credits:
  3. Shattered Trousers

Shattered Trousers That thing Ratchet needed.

News Credits:
    I am.

It's become abundantly clear that Jim Lee has no love for his own characters.
    Not now he's got a whole toybox full of DC brand toys.

~L~

4. northjason

northjason Well-Known Member

I don't think Jim Lee is in charge. I think he's "in charge".

5. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    Where is the simultaneous eye roll and downvote button?

6. DrTraveler

DrTraveler Wheeljack, Wheeljack, Wheeljack

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Agreed. The Wildstorm characters have had a hell of a push since being integrated in with the new 52. To say Lee doesn’t care about them seems wrong.

7. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    Plus, if they keep not selling, there's only so much he can do. DC is a business, and Lee works for them, it isn't a vanity press operation that he owns.

I loved the Wild Storm reimagining they just came out with over the past couple years, and I wish it could have continued. But if it didn't do the numbers, all they can do is wait a while and then try again.

But I do hope this Grifter is more like the original and isn't the New 52 version still kicking around.

8. QLRformer

QLRformer Seeker

News Credits:
    • Like Like x 1
  9. wheeljack01

wheeljack01 Happiness is a warm gun

That is a great cover.

• Like Like x 4
  10. Shattered Trousers

Shattered Trousers That thing Ratchet needed.

News Credits:
    I keep coming back in here, intending to leave a smart-aleck reply, but I won't be any more of an instigator than I've already been.

You may be right and it would be nice if I'm proven wrong.

I'd really like to see the Wildstorm characters I favour be properly integrated into the DC Universe and do something of significance instead if being treated like guests from another series.

~L~

11. DrTraveler

DrTraveler Wheeljack, Wheeljack, Wheeljack

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Agreed on that. The early Image stuff had a lot of great ideas. We can argue about execution of those ideas, but Stormwatch, Wild C.A.T.s and Youngblood are all the kind of pitches that any publisher would have jumped on. And Stormwatch in particular spawned a lot of really really neat characters and ideas. Authority and Planetary in particular spin off that concept.

EDIT: To clarify, I know Youngblood isn't from Lee. But I'm making a case that all the early Image books have some interesting ideas, regardless of how they're executed.

12. Haywired

Haywired Hakunamatatacon

Ehh, sorry but the early Image Wild C.A.T.s always felt like X-Men rip-off to me.

13. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    It was. It absolutely was. By design. So was Silvestri's Cyberforce. And to a lesser extent, so was Whilce Portacio's Wetworks. All three of them became famous on X-Men, and then they all wanted to have an X-Men they owned, rather than continue to help keep some faceless corporate assholes rich. It was much more a business thing than an artistic expression thing.

So no, the early Image WildCATs issues are not all that great. But the Scott Lobdell/Travis Charest vol. 2 was good, and then the Joe Casey/Sean Phillips/Dustin Nguyen series that followed that was fucking phenomenal. The basic concepts are solid, the characters are good, and a good writer can do great things with them.

• Like Like x 4
  14. Tetratron

Tetratron Well-Known Member

Weird when the League is only like five people.

First issue wasn't that bad so I'm interested to see how it'll play out. Personally after all that Injustice nonsense, it was refreshing see to Wonder Woman take an anti-authoritarian stance.

15. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    Injustice is a different Wonder Woman. If you read the comic, they justify both her and Superman's stances by tiny but crucial differences in their early years as compared to the versions we know. Tiny cracks that maybe never would have become giant fissures if Joker hadn't nuked Metropolis. Plus that Wonder Woman had a point in how the Justice League lets so many innocent people die constantly by staying apolitical. When a bunch of women refugees are about to be murdered by the military in some middle eastern country and Wonder Woman decides she has to disobey the UN order for the Justice League not to get involved in the affairs of a sovereign nation, it's hard to disagree with her. And when, following that, she decides she needs to take a more proactive stance in preventing atrocities like that, it's easy to see where it comes from.

16. Tetratron

I have read it and being a different universe isn't enough of a justification for bad writing. Especially when Injustice is just about every modern terrible DC cliche.

17. Gaastra

Gaastra Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The wildcats cartoon wanted to be the x-men cartoon so bad it could taste it. Also how 90s is this intro?

• Like Like x 3
  18. Bumblebee2000

Bumblebee2000 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The Civil War vibes do suck, but I was looking forward to the Spurrier guest issues and I think the other cover is just playing that up, other than the preview also opening with an explosion not quite contained by superheroes it seems that isnt the angle and it could be interesting.

Agreed on Wonder Woman, glad on her stance/writing here and I might like some of the things Injustice does but Wonder Woman was the worst character in the games and what little I've read, justification isnt enough for me there. Wonder Woman is never my least favourite :\

• Like Like x 1
  19. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    I don't think you have read it if you think it was bad writing. Injustice had masterclass writing, regardless of whether you enjoyed the subject material. Taylor has zero fat on his scripts, unlike so many other modern writers. Every single line of every single balloon or caption either furthers the plot or reveals character. There's a level of craft in his work that you somehow aren't noticing, and that isn't being matched by many currently.

I do think the basic premise is cliche. When I heard they were doing Batman vs Superman AGAIN for the however many-th time since DKR and Kingdom Come, I rolled my eyes. And video game tie-in comics are pretty notorious. But Taylor elevated the premise, and kept it from being the cliche that by rights it should have been.

Well, one thing to keep in mind is that towards the end of Injustice, the "real" Wonder Woman jumps dimensions from the regular universe into the Injustice-verse and wrests control of the Injustice-universe Amazons from Injustice Wonder Woman with the power of her words. So again, Wonder Woman was not mischaracterized when the real one finally showed up.

I don't know why flawed alternate versions of characters are harder to accept in Injustice than in something like, say, Red Son or any Earth-3 story.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2020
  20. Tetratron

Yeah, felt the pitch for her in Injustice began and ended with "Lady Macbeth cliche" and " arm candy for Superman or Batman". Though that's hardly exclusive to NetherRealm or Tom Taylor unfortunately when it comes to these kinds of DC stories
    I don't think he did anything to elevate the franchise beyond being a subpar Kingdom Come knockoff, granted he was stuck with the conceit of the games but not everyone can make lemonade out of lemons. Wasn't really impressed all that either when he writes their characters how are supposed to be either (mainly Supes and Wonder Woman) in flashbacks or in other stories he's done, so hopefully DC never puts him on their solo titles.