DC Comics Discussion

Discussion in 'Comic Books and Graphic Novels' started by Tekkaman Blade, May 31, 2011.

1. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    No consideration for the work of the colorist or letterer whatsoever. Gary's done, so it's ready to be released. :rolleyes:  I wonder if he even knows the names of the colorist and letterer on his book.

2. DrTraveler

DrTraveler Wheeljack, Wheeljack, Wheeljack

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I hate these quotes. It belittled the work done after the pencils and makes you think that once the writer hands the artist a script his work is done. In a good partnership there’s usually some back and forth between the artist and writer that happens. Quotes like this attempt to absolve the writer of any responsibility for a project being late.

3. QLRformer

QLRformer Seeker

News Credits:
    Artgerm Illustrates a Dead Serious Supergirl Variant for DC's Death Metal

[​IMG]

"Here is my full supergirl cover for Deathmetal 3," Artgerm wrote on Twitter. "A more serious tone for my favorite superhero."

Artgerm drew several variant covers featuring the hero, and even seeing one of those covers inspire a Kotobukiya statue. However, he usually draws Supergirl with an expression of joy on her face in bright blue skies. It only feels appropriate that he should shake things up, given the apocalyptic setting of Death Metal.

Supergirl had been infected by the Batman Who Laughs and transformed into one of his Secret Six. This appears to show her free from it.

• Like Like x 3
  4. Haywired

Haywired Hakunamatatacon

The Villain Sue Who Laughs.

I'm not coming anywhere close to DC mainstream series as long a the company perpetuates their fetish towards the character.

5. Omegashark18

Omegashark18 Combaticon turned Autobot

News Credits:
  6. Megastar

Megastar Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Sorry, but I need to know more info before writing Johns off as a creep, becusce that could be a simple misunderstanding, but if more people come forward or find the tweets than that'll change things.

• Like Like x 2
  7. wheeljack01

wheeljack01 Happiness is a warm gun

I’m sure in the right environment I will be listed as “part of the problem”, but she needs to have this proof available, if she just wants to casually accuse someone on social media. These type of accusations can absolutely destroy a person’s life nowadays and they should not be done casually. Too much of this I’ll accuse someone famous to get my 15 minutes of twitter fame. Amazing that 90% of the comments were already saying he was guilty and the people who were doing what the courts would do, asking for proof, were being treated like rape enablers. Twitter is such a cesspool. Innocent until proven guilty? Not on Twitter.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2020
    • Like Like x 3
  8. Omegashark18

News Credits:
    But you know, once the ball gets rolling...

And what’s going to pay the price for this if this does snowball? Three Jokers, the Earth One books he writes, and the Stargirl show.

• Like Like x 2
  9. wheeljack01

Everything I have heard of Johns is he is a stand up guy, I think people that are in the know (female co-workers, actresses,etc) will step up for him. That said, it could be opposite and that snowball effect and all sorts of stuff could come out about him by various women. The girl needs to show the DMs.

• Like Like x 3
  10. DrTraveler

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Generally speaking I keep my eyes open after one complaint but don’t judge. There’s always someone willing to lie out of anger for some slight and it’s hard to know without proof or corroboration if something is true or not. Plus, some people are generally clueless enough that they’ll make a comment they thought was innocent which ends up being read differently by someone else.

For example here, Johns is saying to someone wishing they’d win a charity auction that they’d be willing to have lunch with them sometime. I tend to like to lunch alone of with my family, but I do have lunches with random people occasionally. That’s not a date. That’s two people eating lunch.

Now if more evidence shows up, or more allegations surface, then we ought to take this more seriously. That becomes a pattern.

I’m not a fan of Johns by any means. And I wasn’t surprised to hear vague allegations enabled some vague behavior by Whedon on the JLA reshoots. But I’d want to hear more on this.

• Like Like x 1
  11. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    That's kind of meaningless, unfortunately. Nobody is only one thing. Many people have a ton of great qualities and have done selfless things for others, and maybe have only one horrible quality that comes out so rarely that most people aren't aware of it, but is so bad when it does come out that it negates anything good. The world would be easier to navigate if everyone was either all good or all bad, but people are more complicated than that.

The other thing is that the goalposts are shifting fucking rapidly. Someone who may have been considered a great guy and all his behavior considered completely normal and acceptable by society 20 years ago might fall squarely in the creep category now for the exact same behavior. And 20 years from now, a lot of the behavior we now consider enlightened and progressive will itself be thought of as outdated and creepy.

All that being said, hitting on a 17 year old is fucking creepy in any era. But yeah, she should post the DMs, including the part that shows he was even aware she was 17 in the first place. I mean, we're all talking online, and none of us have any idea how old anyone else in this thread is. So we can't assume Johns would know either, without knowing more.

12. wheeljack01

Yeah, people can totally be a mixture of different things for sure. My comment was just inserting what I have heard about him from people I have met throughout the years at conventions, be it fans, convention organizers, and his fellow comic pros. Again, they could totally be in the dark about what goes on in his mind and what goes on behind closed doors. I will give him the benefit of doubt till actual evidence is shown. I have a hard time believing he knew she was 17, plus how do we not know she was coming on to him as well, or even initiated these conversations? Lots of scenarios here to be played without evidence.

13. Tekkaman Blade

Tekkaman Blade Professor of Animation

News Credits:
    The thing to also keep in mind is people above Johns and Weadon were pushing for the movie to come out on time so they could get their big bonus for the year. So there was a huge rush to finish the movie. This likely started at the top and stressed out each level below. (Which is why the CGI is crap)

• Like Like x 1
  14. Omegashark18

News Credits:
    So negative emotions got the better of everyone?

15. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    The CGI on the Henry Cavil character model for the Justice League Superman in the MOBILE VERSION of the Injustice 2 video game is better and more convincing than what appeared in the feature fucking motion picture.

16. Tekkaman Blade

News Credits:
    Possibly. JLA was rushed into production shortly after Batman v Superman was set to premiere. So when that movie did bad, they were already set to film JLA in couple weeks. So the studio heads panicked. This led to last minute rewrites and trying to fix the next film while they were filming it.
    Zac Snyder filmed 60 to 80% of the film then tragedy struck his family. So he had to attend to that. While he was gone they fired and replaced him with Weadon who I think they had hired to fix the script. So then they had him do major reshoots to make it even more friendly to general audiences. So you have two competing visions and them stitching together usable scenes from both into a Frankenstein type mess.
    A lot of this in the end came down to executive greed. Weadon and others wanted to push the release date back so they could fix the issues and have more time to film the fixes and for post production and CG. The At&T merger was coming in around 2 months. Due to all this Silverman stepped down as studio head and was replaced by Toby Emmerich. He didn't want his first move as head to be pushing back production and looking weak. Especially with the merger coming, he wanted to ensure his position during the change over. Also if he was pushed out during the merger, he wouldn't get his huge year's end bonus for his new position if he was demoted or pushed out of the company. Also if his gamble worked there was the potential for even another bonus on top of the first one. It ended up being a stupid choice as At&T pushed the merger back anyway due to issues with the government wanting to take a closer look at it. So the movie they rushed out and forced Weadon to push out as soon as he could to make their deadline was a mess as he had no time to put in major fixes and reshoots and the effects department didn't have time to finish the visuals.
    So rather than push it back a few months so it came out the next year, they forced it to happen now now now! So they could get a executive bonus payment. Both Weadon and Johns were probably under tremendous stress because of it. (Remember they were brought on to fix Snyder's movie and didn't write or plan it to begin with) They also had studio executives watching the dailys and screaming at them to fix this mess and hurry up and get it out on time. So I'm sure this led to a lot of stress for all concerned. So rather than a laid back set you had a director and a first time producer trying to get things done at an impossible pace on a movie they didn't plan, all so people at the top could get a higher bonus payment for the year. I'd be surprised if the actors didn't think the director was a little snippy on set.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Tekkaman Blade

News Credits:

18. DrTraveler

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    This is why I can believe the Whedon and Johns allegations include JLA. The situation sounds impossible. And in impossible situations some people excel. And some people don’t. DC desperately needed Whedon at that moment and if he was falling short it probably would have been impossible to reign him in.

19. Tekkaman Blade

News Credits:
    I blame the executives for having unreasonable goals all so they can make more money. A company I worked for went under because of people like that. The big boss got a huge million dollar bonus and left the company after only being there for less than a year. Then a month later we closed down. Turns out they hadn't even been paying for the company insurance for over a month. They knew it was coming and were using what was left to pay themselves rather than their employees. Entire company closes down asshole gets a bonus. I bet that million would have paid a lot of people's insurance or severance pays(That we didn't get)

• Like Like x 4
  20. DrTraveler

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Yeah. Situations can get pretty screwed up. And the ones that pay for it are rarely the ones that made the mess. That’s why I believe the stuff about Whedon and him being enabled by Johns and WB. Those situations get pretty messed up and desperate.

• Like Like x 1