DC Comics Discussion

Discussion in 'Comic Books and Graphic Novels' started by Tekkaman Blade, May 31, 2011.

1. Tetratron

Tetratron AEColyte

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    • Like Like x 3
  2. Primeultra

Primeultra Well-Known Member

No way to say this any better then you did

I just found this out today... so sad

3. Gaastra

Gaastra Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    DC comics floppies may be sold at wal-mart now that they are not with diamond.

Wow! Selling comics at a non comic shop place. But they still have that $4 for 2 min of reading that goes against it.

DC Comics Rumoured to Expand Walmart Presence

• Like Like x 1
  4. Issy543

Issy543 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Issy543

Issy543 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
  6. DrTraveler

DrTraveler Wheeljack, Wheeljack, Wheeljack

News Credits:
    Ebay:
  7. Star Saber

Star Saber Cybertron 5th Commander

News Credits:
    I don't know if he's exactly the issue - because really - acclaim and selling well is bad? I have no idea what was going on at DC, but it really seems that their issues lie in trying to have their cake and eating it too. We can't tell whether who made what decisions during the New 52 launch - but it certainly seemed like they wanted a relaunch for a new generation of readers - but because they didn't want to lose the money from titles that were still going on (Morrison's Batman and John's GL) as well trying to satisfy older readers by keeping things that supposedly happened (the aforementioned Batman stories, GL stories, Death of Superman etc), not to mention not giving a clear direction to creators leaving many frustrated and wandering lost, that it made a total mess of things. Yes Johns stepped in and tried to bring in the old DCU back, but that at least gave solid direction as well as great sales again. When there was another power shift on top and Johns was left out - well that's when you could tell that directions shifted and we got some confusing stories out of it so I'm not sure the current issues are on him.

• Like Like x 5
  8. Tekkaman Blade

Tekkaman Blade Professor of Animation

News Credits:
    It often came down to Didio it seems, who always did the same thing. Mega crisis level event an killing off characters. Then when new series started as soon as sales leveled off, going dark again and doing something stupid. Usually to former Teen Titans. He seemed to really have it in for Roy Harper. Then another mega crossover of some type to get more sales. Some kind of stunt or some crazy character focus (batman who laughs type) Go darker again. Sales in the toilet? Guess it's time for another reboot.

9. DrTraveler

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I’d argue what Geoff Johns did was the equivalent of tossing the engine of the car overboard on the downhill so you’re lighter and go faster. You pick up speed but you’ve just defeated the purpose.

I mean he brought back the silver age Legion of Superheroes for Pete’s sake. Whenever, wherever, DC had made progress in establishing legacy characters it seems Johns shows up and ushers back in the Silver Age heroes. And because he is a good writer, people love it, but are left with a hero firmly rooted in nostalgia while any fans you picked up in the 90’s are left alienated.

That’s why I’m frustrated that Generations is being canned. This industry desperately needs a brand new silver age. Not the old one. It needs a new generation of heroes, not endless reboots. But that’s not happening at DC or Marvel. And we just keep sinking deeper into nostalgia. It’ll sell books for a while but it gets tiresome.

• Like Like x 3
  10. DrTraveler

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    So I want to add something about my call to move forward. Warning: old man rant incoming.

With the summer upon me I decided I wanted to read the Legion of Superheroes. That’s been something in the background for me since I worked in a comic book store in the 90’s. I just never got around to trying it because of the deep background the book seemed to require.

I started with the Threeboot. It was recent, it’s written by Mark Waid who I enjoy. And it was pretty good. Then I went to the reboot. There’s not as much available digitally of it, but I read the opening arcs. The DnA Legion Lost stuff. Etc.

Again, I didn’t have a lot of interest in reading the silver age stuff. I knew it was a continuity nightmare. That said I had read The Great Darkness War (the Darkseid story by Paul Levitz). Good stuff. But again I had no interest in going back and reading the rest of the silver age stuff.

Then I discovered the Final Crisis: The Legion of 3 worlds by Johns. Thinking this could be fun I found out it ends by getting rid of the reboot and threeboot teams and bringing back the Silver Age team.

This is an example of what I’m talking about. I’ve read comics since the 80’s. I understand continuity and even I was turned off by how much a mess the Legion can be. I’m enjoying the recent takes and come to find out Johns once again can’t leave well enough alone and resurrects the Silver Age.

I ended up not reading Legion of 3 worlds. I’m pretty much done with my Legion read through now. I don’t care if the book is a work of art. Who in their right mind brings back a version of the team that is arguably the least accessible and interesting to a new reader? Who thinks that’s a good idea? It’s pandering. Pure and simple. And I’m just about done with it.

I haven’t even wanted to read a DC book monthly since the early 00’s. I’m there for a fun miniseries or if they try something off beat. Past that no thanks. They’ll just reboot and retell the same stories, with the same tired characters, for years until it collapses and they reboot and retell again.

Rant over.

• Like Like x 1
  11. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    Wise choice. I am a longtime Legion fan of about 40 years now. I like all versions to varying degrees. The original most, up until about CoiE. But the DnA Legion very, very much. I could have happily read that Legion forever, if DnA hadn't left/been taken off. And I loved the opening arc of the Threeboot. Waid had so many great concepts in that book, and he was prescient in terms of predicting self quarantine/social distancing lol. What killed that run was Waid going into autopilot mode because he overcommitted by taking on too many books simultaneously, and put himself in a position where he couldn't give any of the books the energy they needed.

Anyway, all that is to say that I love the Legion in all its incarnations, and have no problem untangling any of its continuities. And by the way, there is nothing the least bit confusing about the original continuity prior to Byrne taking over Superman in '86. But yeah, I am right there with you in feeling Johns' take was a horrible idea. Going backwards was the worst thing they ever could have tried. It never felt anything like the original Legion anyway, and ignored years worth of the original continuity, so what was the point? To turn the world into something uglier than it had been? Yeah, no fucking thanks.

The Jury is still out on Bendis' reboot for me. There are things about it I like a lot, a few things I like less, but I'm still waiting to see if it really comes together into anything solid. The pieces are there for it to become something good.

• Like Like x 1
  12. DrTraveler

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I need to try his Legion. Bendis gets a lot of crap, but he can do solid stuff and a book like Legion seems like it could play to his strengths.

I didn’t read the Legion in the 90’s because as cool as my friends made it sound, as cool as it looked, I’d go cross eyed as they tried to explain the continuity thanks to Crisis removing superboy and his adventures from existence.

The Legion isn’t alone in this though. The Justice Society has been retconned and reinvented and deleted and restored more times than I can count. And it was a mess after Crisis too.

I’m firmly in the camp that the reboots create more problems than they solve.

13. smkspy

smkspy Remember true fans

Johns reviving old JSA was best thing to ever happen for those characters, and him bringing back Hal was the best thing to ever happen to the GL franchise. GL was a title barely hanging on book and Johns helped turn it into a franchise. Giving us the best GL run ever will always be his #1 crowning achievement.

Now bringing back Barry, that's pretty debatable.

I think he would have walked away from DC entirely if they didn't let him finish his GL story when nu52 dropped. Likewise Morrison and his Batman imo.

• Like Like x 1
  14. DrTraveler

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I’d argue that’s the problem with bringing back Hal though. Morrison has done a hell of a lot to rebuild Kyle and make him cool in JLA. Morrison proved there’s something there to do with Kyle. And part of why Hal was dumped was because he was a pretty dull character by the time Emerald Twilight came along. He’d been played out.

So you toss aside Kyle, bring back Hal, and blow the doors off. But now you’re in the same boat as before. You’ve brought back Hal. A silver age character with a ton of baggage who is essentially played out. And you’re stuck with him again.

That’s the problem with DC right now. Wally and Kyle are good characters but have literally nothing to do if Barry and Hal are back. They used Kyle in Omega Men. And they massacred Wally in Heroes in Crisis. Seeing them tossed aside chases off folks that remember them fondly. And why? So you can relive some silver age stuff? And then you toss the other versions of Legion to get the Silver Age one too with all their baggage.

At some point these books need to move forward and all that was moving backwards, even if done well.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  15. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    Not to mention Hawkman.

I think a reboot can work, but not a halfass, half-thought out reboot like they always do. Every attempt they've made maybe partially fixes 3 or 4 things they had their eye on, but is then followed by a list of unintended consequences and problematic byproducts that is pages and pages and pages long.

I agree about the Justice Society, although as much as I love that original Johns run, I would have preferred they had been on Earth-2.

But I disagree completely about Hal. We have gained nothing by having him back. And I'm one of the people who did want him back all those years he was gone. But now that he is back, I've had to revise my opinion and agree with so many others that he IS the most boring GL. His civilian identity is completely unrelateable and they never got too deep into it anyway. And even with something like the SCW, which is arguably the high point (and early peak) of Johns' GL run, it could have been written without Hal in it. Everything could have been written without Hal in it. Right before GL Rebirth, Kyle had finally been evolved to the point that he could be all the things to the franchise that Hal had been. The Guardians were back, and a new GLC was growing. It was the exact wrong time to give up on Kyle.

And Barry... There's no doubt in my mind that I am the biggest Barry fan here by a billion miles, but bringing him back was a calamity of biblical proportions. Unfortunately, Johns' own Flash run left Wally in a difficult to use state, and then Waid's return run with the twins morphed that into a completely unusable state. So at that point, I don't know how they could have done anything other than what they did.

• Like Like x 1
  16. DrTraveler

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Not to mention, Barry was put aside in Crisis because he too had hit the point there was really nothing more for him to do. He’d been played out as a character and now you have gone back to him in the starring role.

I understand they don’t want to move past Superman, Batman, and Wonder Woman, but they need to let most of their characters move on and embrace the legacy characters.

BTW everything I’m saying here is true for Marvel too. They also won’t let their characters move on. That’s why as great as Miles Morales is, and as popular as he is outside comics, he’s doomed to be set aside, probably sooner rather than later. Having a legacy Spiderman makes Peter look old, which represents change, which is exactly the last thing that comic books want to embrace. Ditto Ghost Spider. Marvel has tossed aside some compelling legacy characters too with Rhodey as Iron Man, Bucky as Cap, Falcon as Cap, Jane Foster’s Thor, etc. The one difference is that DC has also rebooted so many times that things get extra confusing when you return the Silver Age characters to the line up.

17. Tetratron

Tetratron AEColyte

News Credits:
    Instagram:
  18. Omegashark18

Omegashark18 Combaticon turned Autobot

News Credits:
    • Like Like x 2
  19. Megastar

Megastar Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Last edited: Jun 21, 2020
  20. Gaastra

Gaastra Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Unless they are in the jla or with green arrow i find hal and barry dull as dirt. Loved kyle and wally and read both titles. When dull and duller came back i dumped both books after years and so did many fans. You made the old fans happy and at the cost of your new fans!

Also funny that hal started doing kyle like things with his ring and when they have barry in a movie or show he acts like wally! That's not barry in the flash show it's wally with barrys name. Then when they bring in wally they had to use the lame new 52 one as they aready have barry acting like wally. (why not just use wally?) The jla cartoon used wally over barry also.

Hal and barry are replacements as well so it's funny that people say the are the originals when they were not. If we had internet in the 60s fans would have thrown a fit about these new younger heroes replacing the real ones!

• Like Like x 1