DC Comics Discussion

Discussion in 'Comic Books and Graphic Novels' started by Tekkaman Blade, May 31, 2011.

1. Omegashark18

Omegashark18 Combaticon turned Autobot

News Credits:
    • Like Like x 1
  2. QLRformer

QLRformer Seeker

News Credits:
    Knowing that time has been reset/changed should be more interesting reading (hopefully) than just resetting the timeline itself.

3. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    This has been a theme since his first Young Justice issue. Tim Drake and Spoiler realize it in the first issue, and since then there's been a typically Bendis-slow burn as to why they remember Conner and Bart, which it looks like is finally going to be paid off.

The more puzzling thing to me now is in that link, the characters talking about Ted Kord as if he's the normal friend of everyone as always, but in the current Suicide Squad series, he's shown to be an outright evil villain. Not a Bendis book, by the way. Ted Kord is being used as if they'd planned on using the evil version of Max Lord, but he was off the table for some reason. Like maybe they already have plans for Max to coincide with the upcoming Wonder Woman movie or something. But it's weird, because I've never seen Ted bad before. And the Suicide Squad writer previously wrote a great version of him in the Injustice comic, so it's not like he doesn't know who Ted is or how to write him.

4. Star Saber

Star Saber Cybertron 5th Commander

News Credits:
    DC continuity is a mess tho, and I think it's quite accepted, especially the last few years that certain writers have carte blanche to do whatever they want, continuity be damned. It really seemed like Geoff Johns was the only one who really cared about it then, and with him spending more time away from publishing and especially since his removal as CCO - no one's really around to keep those things in place.

5. MagnusPrimal

MagnusPrimal Well-Known Member

They’re messing with Ted again?
    Man, do I hate current DC.

• Like Like x 1
  6. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    I'll wait to see how it plays out, because it is by far the best Suicide Squad book we've had in years. Maybe since Ostrander. Too soon to tell.

7. Tekkaman Blade

Tekkaman Blade Professor of Animation

News Credits:
    Yeah could be a fake or an alternate universe doppelganger.

8. Mudslide

Mudslide Grieving Son

When is he gonna get betta?
    Sorry.

9. Tekkaman Blade

Tekkaman Blade Professor of Animation

News Credits:
  10. Megastar

Megastar Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I mean DC has trying throwing a bone to Ted fans, but nothing ever worked, they even made him a mentor to Jaime Reyes in his last ongoing, so at this point I wouldn't be surprised if they just gave up on the character and just turned him evil and killed him off, like they did Roy Harper in HiC.

11. Hobbes-timus Prime

Hobbes-timus Prime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    • Like Like x 5
  12. Megastar

Megastar Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    But for the better or worse?

13. Hobbes-timus Prime

News Credits:
    Depends on what you want from the industry, I guess.

14. Haywired

Haywired Hakunamatatacon

Diamond and their supporters reacted fairly hostile towards DC, so it's hardly surprising.

Also, DC Walmart offerings weren't the best thing forever and ever... But it showed that the publisher was at least trying other distribution channels.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Hobbes-timus Prime

News Credits:
    DC is aiming straight at the book market. I bet in five years or less it doesn't even publish physical floppies. The model with will be mostly GNs and TPB printings of digital serial content sold through book market outlets.

• Like Like x 5
  16. DrTraveler

DrTraveler Wheeljack, Wheeljack, Wheeljack

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    They should aim at the book market. The TPB print prices have been ridiculous. Heading into that market will open up the market to new readers and hopefully drive down prices, especially if digital becomes the primary market for serialized books.

• Like Like x 4
  17. Gaastra

Gaastra Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Note: Not confirmed so rumor for now.

Stagnant DC Sales, Diamond Plans and What Happens Next - The Gossip

18. Star Saber

News Credits:
    In general while yes, Diamond has its own issues, the general consensus among retailers is this is going to make things very hard for them, especially during this pandemic. Yes Diamond is a monopoly, but this doesn't really fix things. For one thing, DC's new distributors don't carry any other product aside from DC, so it's going to increase costs for all comic shops if they want to carry DC and the other publishers. To make matters worse for shops especially in the US, DC's new distributors are not really major distributors, but also their competitors. Can you imagine if a major book publisher gave exclusive book distribution to someone like Amazon? That's what some people in the industry are unhappy about.

The situation is not that black and white as you try to put it - because given those circumstances, of course the retailers are not going to be happy. With the Walmart books, you could at least point to a small number of retailers as loud voices, but in this regard, I haven't seen one retailer who's happy with having to deal with two distributors because now they're facing increased costs to be able to carry the same kind of product they should be carrying.

They have been aiming at the book market, and the book market is serviced by Penguin Random House not Diamond. Diamond's DC deal was to distribute trades/hcs/gns to comic book stores exclusively, but if you're a book store, you deal with Penguin Random House - so there's not really going to be any major change there.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2020
  19. Haywired

Haywired Hakunamatatacon

Those retailers can be dealing with new DC distributors too.

A publisher isn't really required to care. Publisher's job is only to sell their books by any channels available.

*shrugs*

20. Star Saber

News Credits:
    I'm not arguing that, I'm just stating the reason why they aren't happy - which is it's now more expensive for them sell the product they usually carry.

And while it's true that a publisher isn't required to care, relationships are a big factor in sales and we've seen a similar scenario happen already more than 20 years ago - during a whole different crisis in the industry, stores were forced to go the same route - and it contributed to major closures, as well as the publisher eventually returning to Diamond due to their own issues with sales and costs with having their own exclusive distributor. Time will tell if the same things will happen here.