DC Comics Discussion

Discussion in 'Comic Books and Graphic Novels' started by Tekkaman Blade, May 31, 2011.

1. Cool Hand Lube

Cool Hand Lube Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    What's the skinny? What did DC do to Black Lighting?

2. Issy543

Issy543 TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    From what I've gathered, he's upset that Batman and the Outsiders is apparently making Katana and Black Lighting have a "romantic" relationship. I put the word "romantic" in quotation because I've not read the series, but I'm basing that on this article and Tony Isabella's comments:

Batman & Catwoman Aren't DC's Most ELECTRIC Couple Anymore

• Like Like x 1
  3. Cool Hand Lube

Cool Hand Lube Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ahhhhh, so that's what his comments about JACKSON & TERRY (or whatever) ARE SOULMATES, DUH! are all about.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Issy543

News Credits:
    • Like Like x 3
  5. Deathcatg

Deathcatg Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Tetratron

Tetratron Well-Known Member

• Like Like x 2
  7. Star Saber

Star Saber Cybertron 5th Commander

News Credits:
    that’s technically what the retailers do - DC prints according to their orders. They must be seeing/forecasting some pretty big drops for their big titles that they’re doing this for low tier titles.

• Like Like x 2
  8. QLRformer

QLRformer Seeker

News Credits:
    Shazam Will Soon Regain His Captain Marvel Name - Sort Of

According to DC's own Geoff Johns, when asked if the superhero will ever go by "Captain Marvel" again, Johns stated, "His name was changed to Shazam years ago – maybe he'll go by Captain Marvel again! That's certainly what Superboy-Prime calls him coming up in the series!"

9. Megastar

Megastar Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I thought DC couldn't use the name for legal reason?

10. Tetratron

From what I recall, Billy can still be called "Captain Marvel" in stories but the titles of books or names on merchandise can't use the name.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Tekkaman Blade

Tekkaman Blade Professor of Animation

News Credits:
    Yeah He can't be called it in a cover, but inside the books are fine.
    I think they are still deciding what they want to do, notice how he never gets an official name in the movie.
    Geoff Johns, keeps wanting to use Captain Thunder. Which was their Captain Marvel Knock off before they sued Faucett and got the character.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The old Tv shows were called Shazam and used Captain Marvel in the show
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    As recently as the Young Justice cartoon he was still called Captain Marvel in the show

• Like Like x 4
  12. Tetratron

I'd say Captain Thunder is a fairly generic superhero name but then again that is absolutely what a 10 year would call themselves if they became a superhero.

• Like Like x 2
  13. DrTraveler

DrTraveler Wheeljack, Wheeljack, Wheeljack

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Yeah, Convergence seems like it would be an interesting story to tell. Having that come out so close to Secret Wars made for some uncomfortable comparisons.

• Like Like x 2
  14. Megastar

Megastar Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yeah, but nowadays he's portrayed as a teenager, so it doesn't work as well.

I say they should just stick with Shazam and state he only transforms when he wants to along with saying the magic word.

15. Issy543

News Credits:
    I forgot about that detail. Mind you, Convergence occurred from April to May 2015, whereas Secret Wars ran from May 2015 to January 2016, so it really didn’t have a chance to allow the story to really resonate with readers.

Also, Convergence didn’t have a lot impact following the event’s conclusion, unless you were into Earth 2, the idea of Superman and Lois Lane as a couple, and Paradox fighting Green Lantern in Green Lantern #50 (2011 - 2016). Secret Wars managed to give us a bit of a time jump, which lead to some interesting character development, made Miles Morales become a part of Earth 616, and put the Fantastic Four on hiatus (not saying that this particular impact was a good thing, just that this event enabled that to happen within the comic universe).

Secret Wars also benefited from having a consistent and great quality writing from Jonathan Hickman, and having a build up towards the event, and thereby rewarding readers who stuck around. There wasn’t really anything equivalent for Convergence, except maybe The New 52: Futures Ends, and that’s stretching it, given how Brainiac isn’t the main focus in that series.

I think Dark Nights: Death Metal will be something a long the lines of Secret Wars (2015), because apart from explore other continuities, it looks like it’s going to reward readers who either read Dark Nights: Metal, Justice League or Year of the Villain: Hell Arisen; it’s written by Scott Snyder, who is a great and talented writer, the event is from July 2020 - January 2021 (assuming there are no more delays), so it has a chance to resonate with readers, and, given how we’ve been told that the event is only getting bigger following Dan DiDio’s departure, it’ll have long lasting impacts on Earth 0.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Tetratron

Personally, I'd get cheeky and change it to "Admiral Marvel" ;) 

• Like Like x 3
  17. QLRformer

QLRformer Seeker

News Credits:
    Scott Snyder Explains His Love of Horror, His Influences

"I think the big mechanism with Stephen King and what I love most about his work is: He has this incredible skill of finding things that are almost totemically American - the classic car, the small American town, your pet dog, the little store on the corner - whatever it is, he takes it and flips it and becomes the impetus of this thing of fear. That, to me, is Night of the Living Dead and the entire subsequent trilogy which I adore."

"We're all angry, we're all fighting with each other, we all have axes to grind. Even the best moments, there's a feeling like there's something wrong deep in the substrata of who we are."

"It's filtered through my work the past three or four years. I hope what people see when they read my stuff is that I try to dig into this exploration of human nature: Is everything we think of the last two thousand years of civilization a wrong turn or a fallacy, are we meant to be much more predatory, animalistic creatures that are self-serving? There's different explorations of that in Justice League with Lex Luthor or the Batman Who Laughs saying "I am the ultimate, pinnacle evolution of Batman." Different aspects of that run through all the horror and superhero stuff that I've done the last three or four years."

• Like Like x 1
  18. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    Okay, but then how many times can you "explore" that, clearly show that Luthor or Batman Who Laughs or whoever else is wrong in thinking it, before it gets old and it's time to move on to some other theme?

19. Omegashark18

Omegashark18 Combaticon turned Autobot

News Credits:
  20. Issy543

News Credits: