DC Comics Discussion

Discussion in 'Comic Books and Graphic Novels' started by Tekkaman Blade, May 31, 2011.

1. GoLion

GoLion Banned

News Credits:
    I think that's happening because Bendis is kind of in charge of Legion at the moment. I suspect that legion will be explained away sort of like the DnA legion as well as the 3 boot. Eventually.

2. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    I thought Waid's explanation for the Threeboot, which was baked into his story from the beginning, was kind of ingenious. They weren't the future of the DCU; they were our future, and mistook our present day comic books for historical artifacts and record.

I miss the DnA Legion, but really, that Legion needed DnA to work. Within a single issue of their leaving, it instantly devolved into garbage. I guess you could say the same about the Threeboot and Waid leaving. Or even the "original" Legion with Giffen and the Bierbaums leaving. Tom McCraw isn't a bad writer, but holy crap did he dunk the Legion in the toilet prior to the reboot.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Switchblade

Switchblade Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The Threeboot was a mistake. I liked the book (at least until Waid and Kitson left), but it led to a lot of problems. The original reboot was necessary and helped pull the Legion out of a massive quagmire, but there should have never been another reboot. The Threeboot gave DC the idea that the best solution to falling sales on the Legion is to just reboot it again. Reboot Legion losing sales? Threeboot. Threeboot losing sales? Retroboot. Retroboot losing sales? Wait a few years then Bendisboot.

4. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    I think the Threeboot could have been a success if Waid hadn't spread himself too thin over too many books simultaneously. So many great concepts in the early issues. But he kept taking on more and more books. And I think Brave and the Bold was the one that broke the Legion. When he started that series, he lost focus on everything else, and started going in circles. He had two multi-issue arcs in Legion, one after the other that were basically the exact same story. I knew it was over then, although he limped along for a while longer.

As Legion fans, what we really needed was for DnA never to have left the Legion. But as good as their run was, it just didn't sell enough. First, editor McAvennie got sacked, Wacker came on and tried to keep things going, but once DnA left (or got taken off), there was no one who could do the book to their level. There was a 4-issue arc by Gail Simone that I think was sample scripts they had saved in a file cabinet in case a fill-in was needed, and they really showed it. It killed the series dead.

But the worst idea ever was the Retroboot. The original Legion is still and always will be my favorite, but I don't want to read an "almost the originals" series tainted by modern sensibilities and Johns' excesses. Like the idea was, we'll take the original history, but only up to a certain point: a point when everything still worked and before everything went to shit. Then Johns will turn it into a new and worse kind of shit again on his own. Wonderful plan. I welcome Bendis' new take rather than suffer through more of that. The first two Bendis issues have zero direction or momentum, but there are some nice ideas and I think it has potential. I hope Sook can keep a monthly schedule on art for a while, although I can't remember one time he's been able to.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Pharoid

Pharoid Time Traveling Robot

News Credits:
    I think they did it’s just a metaverse now and continuity doesn’t matter. I saw it as an acknowledgement that continuity is gone or a least extremely malleable. As if we didn’t already know this.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Andersonh1

Andersonh1 Man, I've been here a LONG time Veteran

Ebay:
    What in the world?

DC Comics Big Post-Christmas Gossip - DC Timeline, 5G, Death Metal, Three Jokers, Robins and More...

Is DC seriously going to write out every single one of their main characters and replace them? Are they trying to run themselves out of business?

• Like Like x 1
  7. Omegashark18

Omegashark18 Combaticon turned Autobot

News Credits:
  8. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    I love that the idea was ever to have Black Label provide a substitute of classic characters for older fans. For that to work, at least some of the Black Label books would have to not be self-indulgent, rambling GARBAGE. And also, some of them would have had to be about characters other than Bat/Joker-related. There were 3 Joker/Harley Black Label books running simultaneously, and two of them (both of which are still running) are just embarrassing. Passable art, but laugh-out-loud bad writing. Black Label editorial seems to believe it's possible to write a good story with nothing more than good intentions.

9. Issy543

Issy543 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    • Like Like x 1
  10. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    Now this raises an interesting question: Which disastrous DC concept do I want to read about less? More Metals garbage? Or the version of Superboy Prime that Johns ruined? It's a toughie.

11. QLRformer

QLRformer Seeker

News Credits:
    The poor Shazam family, they didn't deserve that. At least, not by that particular villain.

12. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    I'm more concerned that the readers don't deserve to be subjected to Superboy Prime again. We've already suffered enough.

13. Omegashark18

Omegashark18 Combaticon turned Autobot

News Credits:
    So, did anyone read Batman #86?

14. Dr Kain

Dr Kain Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Been waiting for this Omnibus to get rereleased:

[​IMG]

Also finally did some updated shots of my Omni collection:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 5
  15. Issy543

News Credits:
    I read it. It's pretty decent, but it feels very self contained, thereby feeling more like a prologue, rather than a part 1 of a story arc.

Still, it's nice to see Catwoman still being a main character and have some of the spotlight shine on Lucius. Also, to me, the dialogue feels more "normal," especially since there isn't a lot of repetition involved.

I'll wait a bit more thought, until I learn more about the new villain, who I think is called the Designer, and see what Joker's plan is.

• Like Like x 3
  16. Issy543

News Credits:
    Dan DiDio Pledges No Future DC BLACK LABEL Title Will Be Solicited Until On-Time Shipping Is Certain

We shall see...

WONDER WOMAN #750 Debuts New DC Timeline - and Makes DIANA the First DC Hero

Expect More DC Titles to Revert to Legacy Numbering After WONDER WOMAN and FLASH

DOOMSDAY CLOCK's Scheduling Issues 'Made It Very Difficult to Align' with DCU According to DiDIO

Basically, Wonder Woman #750 will debut the new timeline for DC Comics. It's written by Scott Synder, and drawn by Bryan Hitch.

More titles will also be embracing their legacy number, and although the delays made things a bit challenging, Doomsday Clock will still have an impact on the timeline.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Star Saber

Star Saber Cybertron 5th Commander

News Credits:
    I’m curious how DC will move forward post Doomsday Clock, no announcements regarding one the JSA and they certainly arent walking back things like Alfred’s death yet, despite DClock being the supposed future.

18. Tekkaman Blade

Tekkaman Blade Professor of Animation

News Credits:
  19. MatrixOfWumbo

MatrixOfWumbo I see you

News Credits:
    • Like Like x 1
  20. MagnusPrimal

MagnusPrimal Well-Known Member