DC Comics Discussion

Discussion in 'Comic Books and Graphic Novels' started by Tekkaman Blade, May 31, 2011.

1. Star Saber

Star Saber Cybertron 5th Commander

News Credits:
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    I love me some DWJ, so I'm interested to see what he does with this.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Rodimus Prime

Rodimus Prime Sola Gratia, Sola Fide TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I don't see the Death Bringer comic making it to the stands. Holy crap.

• Like Like x 1
  4. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    Hey, DC: If you want Paul Pope, just hire Paul Pope. He's not dead or anything. No need to search out impersonators.

5. Omegashark18

Omegashark18 Combaticon turned Autobot

News Credits:
    Granted, DC just seems all over the place. Still think Marvel has things in better order if only a little.

6. Star Saber

News Credits:
    Really feels like DC is grasping at straws lately. Might have to do with trying to get short term sales boost since the AT&T takeover to please management.

• Like Like x 2
  7. Rodimus Prime

Rodimus Prime Sola Gratia, Sola Fide TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Bendis is like a reverse Midas. Everything he becomes involved in turns to crap, even if he is not directly responsible .

• Like Like x 1
  8. Star Saber

News Credits:
    I know, it's really sad. Guy used to be one of my favorite writers - but his new creations don't really interest me, and his super-hero work, well they're just full of the same bad stuff he's been putting out for years.

9. Tekkaman Blade

Tekkaman Blade Professor of Animation

News Credits:
    I think their hiring of him was a desperation move.

10. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    I want to read his Legion, but I have to say, I really hate any attempt to link all of DC's futures into one history. Even with Orlando's good recent Electric Warriors series, making Kamandi try to fit in between the present day and the Legion 1,000 years in the future is a big mistake. 1,000 years is not enough time for that future to come about and then already end. But then to say things like Batman Beyond are an actual, concrete, inescapable part of DC's future is a wildly bad idea. I love the tv show, and even the current Jurgens comic is okay, but to say that is the definite future of Bruce Wayne lessens any current day Batman comic DC wants to publish.

All of Kirby's wild future concepts don't even fit together with each other, much less with the DC universe at large. And holding Kirby's imagination hostage to the works of so many lesser creators is a huge disservice to him as well as readers.

It's like when 2000AD decided that all their different science fiction series by different writers were all part of the same universe at different points in the same timeline. Horrible, horrible idea. Like Judge Dredd almost has to come first, but then how do you reconcile that with Ro-Busters? You can then say Nemesis happens in the far, far future, but how do you reconcile that with Strontium Dog? It's so much better to let all these series be their own thing in their own universe's future.

Anyway, now DC is making the same horrible mistake. Yay!

• Like Like x 1
  11. Andersonh1

Andersonh1 Man, I've been here a LONG time Veteran

Ebay:
    They JUST did this in Truth, and it was dismal. So now they double down? Stupid, stupid.

12. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    Similar, sort of, maybe, not really? I don't see it. I think calling DWJ an impersonator is doing him a massive disservice (but then again, I'm a big fan). He's got charms of his own, among them a dynamism in his action sequences I just love. Check out some of his Twitter or his free stuff online.

I'd have said DJW was more like Stokoe than Pope, to be honest with you.

13. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    There are several people who have built their careers off Pope's style. Stokoe may take some influence from Pope, but he has his own faces at least and inks with a pen, which gives his work its own feel. But this Johnson is blatant. The inking style, smoke, clouds, rocks, textures, lips. Create your own visual language, dude. The reason Pope made such an impact is because of how strikingly original his approach was. Adopt his philosophy of originality and creativity, not his exact linework, ffs. Pope's biggest influence is Hugo Pratt, but you really have to search to see it in Pope's pages. But a lot of the artists who admire Pope just appropriate his entire style. At least the surface. They rarely have anything real going on underneath.

14. Issy543

Issy543 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The Identity of DC's LEVIATHAN Revealed To Be [SPOILER]

A snippet from the article.

The Leviathan clue everyone missed.
    DC-Leviathan-Identity-Logo-Kamandi.jpg
    It's safe to assume that fans of Brian Michael Bendis were reading Legion of Super-Heroes: Millennium to find the true identity of the immortal mystery woman unifying DC's future timeline. And with no obvious connection to Event Leviathan and Millennium, there was no reason to suspect that the two were linked--especially not in the form of a massive clue to Leviathan's identity.

Readers can be forgiven for overlooking the logo. In fact, readers of Event Leviathan who never even realized that Leviathan HAD a logo can also be let off the hook, since... we didn't realize it, either. Not until seeking out the Kamandi section of Millennium as directed to by Bendis. In hindsight, it is an obvious nod--although those who noticed Andrea Sorrentino's panels shifting focus directly to the insignia likely assumed it was an image relevant to this story. One whose meaning would become clear in part two of the Legion relaunch.

But the logo (visible in the image above) may have revealed more than it was meant to, as those DC Comics fans who recognize the design may immediately see the mystery of Leviathan's identity solved.

Leviathan wears the mark of DC's Manhunter.
    DC-Leviathan-Identity-Manhunter-Logo.jpg
    The insignia of Leviathan may be translated from a superhero's tunic to a round crest, but it is unmistakably the same one worn by DC's Mahunter a.k.a. Mark Shaw. Introduced in the late 1980s, Shaw was a criminal defense attorney who, like other vigilante lawmen of his day, grew tired of seeing the legal system fail the weakest members of society. Using his mask augmented by otherworldly technology (and the same for the rest of his outfit) he set out to oppose injustice as the Manhunter.

As we alluded to above, fans probably didn't notice the Leviathan symbol since it makes its first appearance on the latest cover for Event Leviathan #4, although readers still won't know what they're even looking for. But that, in itself, may also provide the most evidence of Leviathan's true identity to date. See if you can spot the differences in Alex Meleev's artwork for the cover of Event Leviathan #4 as it was solicited to retailers, compared to the finished version below:
    DC-Leviathan-Logo-Mystery-Clues.jpg

You know, this makes sense if it's true.

15. Tekkaman Blade

Tekkaman Blade Professor of Animation

News Credits:
  16. Omegashark18

News Credits:
  17. Rodimal Magnus

Rodimal Magnus A Touch of Destiny

• Like Like x 1
  18. Omegashark18

News Credits: