DC Comics Discussion

Discussion in 'Comic Books and Graphic Novels' started by Tekkaman Blade, May 31, 2011.

1. Omegashark18

Omegashark18 Combaticon turned Autobot

News Credits:
    I don’t care if Marvel is considered a mess. What’s going on with DC feels much worse to me!

So many things going at once I can’t keep up!

At least I can do so with Marvel, I can follow that because the categories feel more easily defined.

• Like Like x 2
  2. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    Oh for F's sake. What's wrong, DC? Did everyone start to like Tim again, so it's time to mess things up again? That looks AWFUL. Not as bad as the New 52 suit, but worse colors. W T MFing F?!!

• Like Like x 3
  3. Issy543

Issy543 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    With the DC Rebirth sale on at ComiXology, I’m going to get some Red Hood and the Outlaws and Dan Jurgens’ run on Action Comics.

The former has a nice trio of heroes who actually work well together, while the latter has some interesting storylines.

I’m also getting Terrifcs Vol. 2 to complete most of my run for that title as well.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Dr Kain

Dr Kain Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    OH jeez, it was 2017? DC really dropped the ball on that one. Wasn't this supposed to be some universe changing event? If so, it's the slowest event ever. Hell, the Turtle could have probably changed the univese quicker than this.

5. Issy543

News Credits:
    Not the first time a DC limited series took longer than expected.

A while ago, I watched Comic Tropes making a video about Brian Bolland. He mentioned Camelot 3000, DC’s first maxi-series, which apparently took nearly 3 years to complete. He (Bolland) took 9 months to complete the drawings for the last issue.

I’m hoping Doomsday Clock doesn’t share the same faith. I’ve been enjoying it, and I’d hate it to remain incomplete.

• Like Like x 2
  6. optimusmegas

optimusmegas Target-Power-Titan-Prime-Battle-Master

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Does this mean tim is getting a new identity? A part of me feels he really needs one. With damian as robin im not sure we need a second one. Tim as another robin floating around makes him feel out of place to me. Like he just doesn't have a place. And that's a shame.

Also is that Naomi? Does anyone read that comic? Could I get a rundown of who she is and where she fits? After 2 issues of basically nothing but the same questions about her past I just gave up. I didn't care about bendis making another of his adopted daughters a superhero enough to keep up.

7. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    I read Naomi, and it was pretty good. The concept is okay, but the art was freaking beautiful.

Anyway, Naomi eventually discovers she is a refugee from another dimension, and has super-powers. Weirdly, her adopted dad is kind of a deserter from Rann intelligence, who went native and married an Earth girl, and the huge mechanic in town who seems to know things is a deserter from a Thanagarian black ops team. There's an uneasy trust between them. Naomi meets the despot who killed her birth parents. It sounds simple, but it's decent and the art does a LOT to carry it. Right now, the series is on hiatus between minis. I guess this gives the artist enough time to get enough ahead that they can do 6 more issues without delays. And this book would die with a fill-in artist. The book is as much Jamal Campbell's as it is Bendis'.

Anyhow, I think the character will be a good fit for Young Justice.

And I agree with you about Tim maybe needing a new identity. He needs something to set him apart, but not make him too different than what we all like him as. But this costume just isn't making it. Sh*t brown doesn't work so great in comics as a costume color. Even Wolverine barely pulls off brown. And something about the lines of the costume is reminding me of Marvel's Ronin (Hawkeye dress up). That's not a good thing.

On the other hand, I consider the original Dick Grayson Nightwing costume one of the worst superhero costumes ever created in the entire history of everything. But he looks great now. So maybe Tim's new costume will keep evolving until it eventually isn't terrible.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
  8. optimusmegas

optimusmegas Target-Power-Titan-Prime-Battle-Master

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    fully agree the art was great it's just the story wasn't doing it for me. the first couple issues felt exactly the same with her wondering who she is and asking the same people the same questions. i needed to cut back on some books and that one hit the chopping block. it just didn't grab me as quick as something like silencer did so i didn't stick with it. maybe i've also had my fill of bendis for awhile so pages full of bendis lingo just wasn't something i wanted to stay with.

appreciate the rundown....is it ironheart-like where she doesn't really come across too many roadblocks and seems to be great at everything from the get go or does she have faults?
    i agree. sometimes books like teen titans, young justice, and the like are good for newer characters. really lets them grow. if they haven't 86ed the character totally maybe they can stick sideways in on one of those teams.
    hey i love wolverine in brown...

as far as tim i love the character. by the time i got into comics dick was already nightwing and jason was dead so tim was my robin growing up but as i said two robins makes one seem less necessary. personally i hate having more than one character use the same moniker...thanks in a huge part to marvel having like 3 spider-men, 5 wolverines, two of each og x-men and so on...to me it makes each character stick out if they aren't sharing a name. he does need a new costume though. this one really doesn't work that well. maybe someone tweaks it down the line and helps out or just redesigns it.

oh the open chest popped collar one? yea that was hideous. 1970's "fashion" in a nutshell. his second version of that was much better but the black with blue is solid. hopefully tim follows suit and finds his place. even as red robin in new 52 he just didn't feel like he had a spot. not that he needs to distance himself from the bat-family but he needs a name to stick with. it's almost like they're having him tread water with names until he does that future titans turn as batman when he's older.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Andersonh1

Andersonh1 Man, I've been here a LONG time Veteran

Ebay:
    I strongly dislike seeing Tim Drake as anything other than Robin. I'd be happy if Damien had never existed, to be quite honest. But, had I been reading when Dick Grayson went from Robin to Nightwing I might have felt the same way, and now I prefer Dick as Nightwing, so I guess it's only fair to wait and see where this ID change with Tim goes. I don't like the brown, gray and yellow combo though, I'll freely admit.

• Like Like x 1
  10. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    I was reading and I hated it. I mean, Dick looked ridiculous as an adult wearing the classic Robin suit, but the first Nightwing suit was even worse. Wolman had Kid Flash retire at the same time, and I hated that, too. And I liked Jason as Robin also, so I wasn't happy when they killed him off. But I liked Tim immediately, so I got over Dick and Jason. Nightwing has become a fantastic use of Dick Grayson. I could never imagine him going back at this point. And Red Hood has turned out to be a great use for Jason, imo, when he's being written right. So I'm willing to wait and see if they can do right by Tim giving him his own identity.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Tekkaman Blade

Tekkaman Blade Professor of Animation

News Credits:
    Don't mind a new character name, but that's a crappy costume.

Should have left him dead after Morrison Killed him.

WARNING - MAJOR SPOILER From Tomorrow's Batman #77 Posted On Social Media

• Like Like x 1
  12. Issy543

News Credits:
    I have doubts about Alfred being killed of permanently. I think it’s a tactic used by Thomas Wayne to make Bruce Wayne considering retirement as Batman, if issue #83 is anything to go by.

The image here, for reference:
    4E0E4D0A-49E2-4F79-A3BC-8B6A1AD8A549.jpeg

Edit: I found another picture for Batman Issue #77:

B6307DE1-DF51-45A8-8FCA-F59CB22EE8D8.png

Also, I just remembered, Flashpoint Batman did recently encounter Scarecrow...fear gas?

Last edited: Aug 20, 2019
  13. Bumblebee2000

Bumblebee2000 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I hope he's not dead.
    I hope they're not pretending to kill the best Batman character twice in a year.
    I hope these hopes aren't contradictory.

14. Issy543

News Credits:
    When did they kill Alfred a second time? Are you referring to Batman: White Knight?

Also, he still appears in Doomsday Clock, which may or may not mean much at this point, since where it fits in the timeline is unclear.

But I believe that this is a ploy that involves Flashpoint Batman, and Scarecrow, and if not, I doubt they’d leave him dead for long. I’m just wondering if it’ll be as long or be shorter than the last time he lost something (I’d refer to it, but I remember you said you’re reading Scott Synder’s Batman run, so I won’t mention it here, unless you finished reading it).

15. Bumblebee2000

News Credits:
    Can't remember if it was dead or critically injured, but either way the point is that it didn't happen. Anyway, it's the first Tomasi Detective story I'm referring to. I'm not being entirely down on the story, if everything wasn't a dream Batman wouldn't have been able to bury a young Bruce Wayne and I liked that scene. But it's not my favourite of the new run and both stories are going to sit a little funnier if they are about to do the same thing. Bit of a guess right now.

I don't complain about it in Last Knight on Earth or White Knight because it's real, emotional and new. It upsets me, but in a more genuine way.

I don't think my explanations are making things less confusing...

So not when they last killed Alfred, when they last didn't kill Alfred. DC 994-999(?)

Don't have time to actually say anything but; Doomsday Clock!

And thanks, I'm halfway through Snyder's run now but that doesn't sound quite far enough. Was originally waiting for the omnibuses but probably can't wait that long at this point. Court of the Owls is amazing actually, who knew?

• Like Like x 1
  16. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    I liked Court of Owls a lot until the end with the jet plane and stuff. That ruined everything for me. Snyder's constant compulsion to always go overboard with the sci-fi gadgets also hurt his run for me. Capullo's art was great, though.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Bumblebee2000

News Credits:
    I get that. Am worried about what it means for Last Knight, but I can't say it ruined Court for me since my entertainment was more in the art and the exploration of Batman's mythology which I guess the ending dialogue still toyed with so I didn't pay as much attention to "oh actually this has gone crazy" until... I'm gonna say a building collapsed. That whole issue in the labyrinth might have sold me on anything that came before and after that story.

But as a general trend, I wish the endings were more varied based on a mix of what I've read and what I've heard.

18. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    Well, Frank Miller's Superman: Year One #2... This is by far the weirdest Superman comic I've ever read. Clark goes through Navy SEAL training, becomes an expert sniper, learns how to kill, and takes part in an amphibious assault on a ship hijacked by middle eastern terrorists off the coast of San Diego. Oh yeah, and he has a CO who kind of mentors him and does more to guide him towards being someone who will dedicate his life protecting people than Pa Kent did. And he's named after Kirby (although he looks nothing like him). For some reason, Kirby can also see mermaids swimming miles off the coast, even though he is supposedly a normal human. Clark spends the second half of the issue playing around with Lori Lemaris underwater and fighting her dad, Poseidon, who plans to marry his own daughter. We almost made it through the entire issue without something super-creepy, but nope. The story continues to ramble, seemingly without pace or structure, and the muddled narration shifts perspective constantly. Which is not including later in the issue, when Clark, Lori, Poseidon, and the Kraken ffs, all start narrating or speaking telepathically to each other in captions.

This is a weird book in general, but crazy weird for an attempted Superman origin. I still think I like it more than JMS's shit Earth-One books, but I wouldn't call this good or recommend it, other than as an oddity. Kind of how Neal Adams' Batman: Odyssey was. So weird, it's kind of compelling. But not good.

Yeah, same for me. I loved that part.

• Like Like x 3
  19. Tekkaman Blade

Tekkaman Blade Professor of Animation

News Credits:
    Yeah it made little sense, the art was decent though.

20. Star Saber

Star Saber Cybertron 5th Commander

News Credits:
    After the last few bad Miller books, really didn't think of even giving this a chance. Sounds like a good decision so far.