DC Comics Discussion

Discussion in 'Comic Books and Graphic Novels' started by Tekkaman Blade, May 31, 2011.

1. TheLastBlade

TheLastBlade Well-Known Member

Or continuously hire writers that obviously has it against the fans and the industry as a whole.

2. Hobbes-timus Prime

Hobbes-timus Prime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    No one working for the Big 2 has it against the industry as a whole. It doesn't work that way.

• Like Like x 1
  3. TheLastBlade

Really? Because I’ve been noticing a bunch of writers that had series getting cancelled being butthurt that no one bought their shit. Didio is a prime example by accusing people being stuck in nostalgia, when no one was interested in bad comics and dc making more nostalgia stuff anyways, lol.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Hobbes-timus Prime

News Credits:
    You seem to mushing a lot of ideas together.

DC and Marvel hire writers who are agaisnt the whole industry, but writers who are against the whole industry are defined as the ones butthurt their stuff got canceled. But how were they against the whole industry when they were hired if they're not against the whole inudstry until their book is canceled? Are the editors at Marvel and DC supposed to prophetically know how a writer will react to that?

And Didio isn't butthurt (as I read it, at least), he was just a publisher making a statement of fact about his product in the marketplace.

5. TheLastBlade

Honestly, even I can’t figure out why they would hire those type of writers in the first place. I’m impressed that they keep doing it to the point of potentially crashing the entire comic book industry.

Yeah, no.... People are calling out his whoreshit because he’s ranting about people stuck in nostalgia. I don’t feel a bit of sympathy for the guy who had a part in the dying industry. And guess what happened the next day?!

It’s also pretty butthurt that he acts surprised and disappointed at why people don’t buy the newer comics.

6. Hobbes-timus Prime

News Credits:
    Again, what kind of writer? The kind that complains about the book getting canceled long after they get hired? How do you critcize the people who do the hiring for something done after the fact?

And I don't see why that action (complaining the book got canceled) would be a deal-breaker in the first place.

7. TheLastBlade

The type of writers pushing their agendas and blaming people who don’t buy their shit. It’s one thing to be upset about a cancelled series, it’s a whole other ball park to go on Twitter and complaining about a conspiracy theory when people just plain hate their comics.

It’s a deal breaker because Didio is guilty of nostalgia pandering, which people are rightfully calling him out on. For a guy that hates that type of thing, the next day dc comics puts out more nostalgia pandering :p  Plus, people roll their eyes on the canceled bit because he’s putting out crap comics no one buys and seems to not know why no one is buying them.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Hobbes-timus Prime

News Credits:
    Pushing what agenda? That's the first you've mentioned of an agenda. And now there's accusations of conspiracy? Are you dancing around something or just moving the goalposts on purpose?

• Like Like x 1
  9. Rodimus Prime

Rodimus Prime Sola Gratia, Sola Fide TFW2005 Supporter

DC and Marvel are hiring people who only see comics as a way to get into Hollywood. That is the problem.

In other news, Vampirella, of all things, outsold Batman.
    1565685176390.png

• Like Like x 1
  10. Ismaeel Kamal

Ismaeel Kamal Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Why Batman #75 Seems to Have Sold Fewer Copies Than Batman #74

Oh gods, I know what’s happened. And it’s going to royally screw up this month’s direct market statistics. And it’s all the Year Of The Villain‘s fault.

Batman #75 was one of The Offer titles. Which saw every major DC Comics title in the crossover get two covers. And one, the card stock cover, was a dollar more expensive.

And while usually variant covers all get counted as one comic book by the statistics, when they have different prices, they are counted separately. Batman #74 wasn’t one of them. Batman #75 was. So to get a better idea of what’s going on, you are going to have to add the sales of the card stock and the non-card stock covers together. As well as work out what the average price will be. It is notable the stats above is for the non-cardstock cover, the $5.99 version did not sell as well as the $4.99 version. But it may have been enough to put it ahead of The Immortal Hulk, Black Cat and bloody Vampirella.

• Like Like x 2
  11. Gaastra

Gaastra Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    On one pice vs batman now we are getting a one piece spin-off one piece academy!

New One Piece Spin-Off Series Announced

Video about this I found on youtube. (talks about manga vs American comics later also some curse words in the video near the end so heads up)

12. Rodimus Prime

I noticed the price change, but figured it was just a general increase .

Got any excuse for Waids comic crashing? :D 
    1565685316375.png
    1565685369324.png

• Like Like x 1
  13. Rodimus Prime

That is a lot of text to say very little.

As for "having it out for the industry" I don't think that is quite right. Mostly it comes down to marvel and DC being cheap when it comes to hiring people. The only ones who are willing to work for what is being offered are either huge fans themselves, see it as a stepping stone, or have an axe to grind... or a mixture of all three.

Take Mark Waid, for example. That comic book I posted the sales for up above? We can't even discuss it here without violating the rules. It's basically Brightburn with a political bent, but where you're supposed to be rooting for the super that is terrorizing innocents. When some youtuber I'd never heard of before criticized the comic, Waid personally started attacking the dude and sending people to harass him online.

To put it bluntly, a lot of modern writers are running around online acting like super villains, and their mindset tends to leak into their work.

14. Hobbes-timus Prime

News Credits:
    I actually had deleted the post to walk away from this, but I guess not fast enough. All I'll still say is this:

This is what I mean about this being a magical question, because now, instead of Hollywood being the problem, it's about Waid's story subject matter. I could get into everything you said - debunk it, explain it, clarify it. But it won't matter because then some other misunderstood or imagined issue will get cited.

I'm not sure what the actual beef you guys have is, but if it's not allowed on the board, maybe you should just drop it.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Rodimus Prime

I am sorry you didn't seem to understand my post. I thought I made it simple enough for anyone to follow. I also never said that the complaints were about things not allowed here. I said that a particular story from a particular writer wasn't able to be discussed in detail. Again, I apologize for not being clear enough for you.

In the real world, the reasons why a company goes into decline and fails is rarely simple and straightforward, but complicated and multifaceted. Making sense of what is going on as it is happening[/s] even more so. I can get being confused or overwhelmed with trying to explain or understand the situation, if you are coming into it new.

As for beef, I really don't have any. I have more or less given up on the big two for the time being, and mostly keep track out of a vain hope that they turn themselves around and bile fascination.

16. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    1. It's fucking Humanoids, first of all. They're never going to sell well in the US.

2. There's always a dropoff in sales for an issue #2. Mostly because shops over-order on first issues. But that's why second issues are so often more rare than first issues and shoot up in price. Orders/sales don't normalize until 4 or 5 issues in, when shops finally get the first couple issues in and they can see how many people actually buy it, allowing them to order more accurately. That's been going on for 40 years already.

Subject matter and Waid's smeared name are a distant third and fourth factors.

17. Rodimus Prime

50% drop off though?

Anyhow, how has Waid's name been smeared? Anyone who has followed the comic book behind the scenes shenanigans for any reasonable amount of time has known him to be a nutcase. Seriously, go look up the black wreath incident.

18. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    For an indie book? Sure. You have to keep in mind these aren't sales numbers, they're order numbers. Those numbers for issue #2 are still months before stores even get issue #1. So shops still have no idea how many they'll be able to sell.

A nutcase, yeah, but the sexual harassment stories have only gained real traction fairly recently. But maybe "smeared" wasn't the right word. "Smeared" seems to suggest the tarnishing of his name is undeserved.

• Like Like x 1
  19. optics

optics Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Managed to grab one of those recalled issues today. Specifically the Supergirl #33 Chew variant. Definitely holding onto it since I'm collecting the upcoming Chew variants. I do wonder if its going to be worth more than what people are asking right now.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Ismaeel Kamal

Ismaeel Kamal Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    In Event Leviathan, three things happened that I wasn’t expecting:

1) Red Hood managed to successfully beat the group of detectives.

2) This panel:
    C75F1EA0-C54A-4F45-A309-2C9190E8A6EB.jpeg

3) The solicitation to lie about The Silencers inclusion in this issue (I really liked that character).

I’m still enjoying this DC event though. Especially the art.