DC Comics Discussion

Discussion in 'Comic Books and Graphic Novels' started by Tekkaman Blade, May 31, 2011.

1. Omegashark18

Omegashark18 Combaticon turned Autobot

News Credits:
    • Like Like x 3
  2. Issy543

Issy543 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yep. It's a part of the DC Zoom imprint, which is good, as it'll allow the creative team to be...well, creative, and it looks like that's what they're doing so far.

It's not my thing personally, but it'll definitely attract some people, and who knows; it might even result in some readers picking up a DC Comic for the first time.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Deathcatg

Deathcatg Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Me too. I also managed to get a early out-of-print color trade of about the first dozen issues when I bought that Showcase by pure chance.

4. Deathcatg

Deathcatg Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Or to look this up

• Like Like x 1
  5. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    And some gain. Jonah Hex and Phantom Stranger are two 1970s comics I can think of right off the bat that I think benefited a lot from B&W.

There were several other older series I thought worked just as well in black & white, and I might actually prefer that way over Silver Age color: Metamorpho, Metal Men, Adam Strange, Enemy Ace, I could probably think of more (is there a list of Showcase volumes?). Any of the horror books, for example. And I don't know why, but anything Aparo drew, I enjoy the chance to see in black & white. Especially when he was inking himself.

6. Rodimus Prime

Rodimus Prime Sola Gratia, Sola Fide TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Honestly, it reminds me of Dork Diaries and other knock-offs of the Wimpy Kid series that suddenly came out. DC is once again playing follow the leader.

7. Issy543

News Credits:
    Looking into Kirk Scroggs' history, and he's written Wiley & Grampa's Creature Features, a series which looks like its similar to Diary of a Wimpy Kid and Dork Diaries (in the sense that they're a book series aimed for children), but was first published before these two, more popular, series.
    • Wiley & Grampa (2006)
    • Diary of a Wimpy Kid (2007)
    • Dork Diaries (2009)
    But, your point of DC playing as follow the leader, might be true.

8. Omegashark18

News Credits:
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Issy543

News Credits:
    Upon research, I found out the premise of Black Hammer:

“Ten years ago, Black Hammer and six other superheroes had saved Spiral City from the Anti-God, but in process became trapped in Rockwood, a timeless Twilight Zone-ish town. Shortly after the heroes arrive, Black Hammer dies. In the present, the six heroes live on Black Hammer farm with very little hope of ever escaping Rockwood.”

The original series lasted for 13 issues, but there are two ongoing series that are set in the Black Hammer universe; Black Hammer: Age of Doom and Black Hammer '45: From the World of Black Hammer, both of which are ongoing (although the later is approaching its second issue, while the former is approaching its 10th issue).

10. Issy543

News Credits:
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Lacimehc

Lacimehc Tastes like medicine

Did... did DC just cancel volume 3 of Dark Knight Detective? I was really looking forward to that and Caped Crusader vol 3...

12. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    Wonder Twins was pretty good again. Nothing mind-blowing, but good. Although they did kind of sneak in a mini message about the US's privatized prison problem, which was interesting to see addressed in a mainstream super-hero comic.

• Like Like x 2
  13. northjason

northjason Well-Known Member

I've been following DC's slash and burn on another board since I've gotten back into collected editions, and the answer is yes, yes they did. Folks there hypothesize some of the cancellations might get resolicited once the turmoil settles, but there's no way to know right now. I hold out hope for a Bronze Age Batman Omnibus, but that would make sense so DC probably won't do it.

• Like Like x 2
  14. Andersonh1

Andersonh1 Man, I've been here a LONG time Veteran

Ebay:
    According to poster Jeff Dyer over on the Collected Editions board, the plan is to continue chronological reprintings of Superman, Batman and Wonder Woman, not skip ahead to Silver or Bronze Ages. There are two Batman Bronze Age Brave and the Bold omnibuses (the team up book), so there is some Bronze Age Batman available, just not his main series yet. I only have volume 1 at this point, and enjoyed it quite a bit. Lots of lovely Neal Adams and Jim Aparo art, along with others who were drawing the book at that time.

• Like Like x 3
  15. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    Oh for crying out ^$%%#%^R&*$ing loud. This really pisses me off to no end. These Bronze Age and Post-Crisis Batman books have been so fun to read and are so much more enjoyable than any new Batman or Detective issue DC has published in YEARS.

I know it's ridiculous, but the conspiracy-minded part of me wonders if that's not part of the reason for slashing the collections: the old material makes a lot of DC's current output look pathetic and bland in comparison.

Oh well, I guess we got a good chunk of the Grant/Breyfogle work, and more volumes of Grant's Shadow of the Bat than I ever thought they'd do. But I really want the rest of Brave and the Bold collected. Some of the best issues in the series are still to come.

Nick Cardy!!

• Like Like x 2
  16. Lacimehc

Lacimehc Tastes like medicine

That is so disappointing... I see Caped Crusader vol 3 is still listed though so maybe it's possible Dark Knight Detective vol 3 will still happen.

I really want to read more 70's Batman comics, but I feel like a Bronze age omnibus won't happen anytime soon... Especially since they aren't even finished collecting the Golden age stuff yet.

• Like Like x 2
  17. northjason

northjason Well-Known Member

Yeah, I'm hoping they change their stance on "chronologically" reprinting the big three characters omnibus volumes. To me, a golden age Batman book is so stylistically different from a bronze age Batman book that I don't see them competing on the store shelf. Maybe it's wishful thinking on my part.

• Like Like x 2
  18. Issy543

News Credits:
  19. Omegashark18

News Credits:
    • Like Like x 1
  20. Issy543

News Credits:
    The Silencer is axed? :( 

On the plus side, Event Leviathan #1 looks interesting!

upload_2019-3-15_21-26-45.jpeg