DC Comics Discussion

Discussion in 'Comic Books and Graphic Novels' started by Tekkaman Blade, May 31, 2011.

1. Issy543

Issy543 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    DC Comics to Publish a 1000-Page Crisis Box Set, and a Heroes In Crisis Companion Book

Cost $350, and comes out on the 12th November 2019.

Available to pre-order in the US:

https://www.amazon.com/Crisis-Box-S...61&imprToken=gQnHvZpvrYWPIACPNWo.7Q&slotNum=0

The contents aren't fully confirmed, but it likely will have Crisis On Infinite Earths (COIE), given how Marv WolfMan and George Prez are listed as writer and illustrator respectively on Amazon.

Will it have tie-in materials from COIE, or contain other "Crisis" events as well? Only time will tell...

2. Omegashark18

Omegashark18 Combaticon turned Autobot

News Credits:
    Damn, big ass book.

• Like Like x 1
  3. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    My most hated comic series of all time, which spawned a bunch of knock-off series I also hate. I wouldn't pay $3.50 for it. CoIE was the first series where I started wondering if Marv Wolfman wasn't vastly overrated... an idea also supported by the fact that simultaneous to CoIE, his New Teen Titans was going into the toilet.

Now, I think the first 3 years of New Teen Titans and his 1970s Tomb of Dracula are the only really good things he's ever written. Nothing else holds up, imo.

4. MatrixOfWumbo

MatrixOfWumbo I see you

News Credits:
    For 350 dollars (most of which is for the hard covers and packaging, I assure you) and 1000 pages, it must have all three of the major crises, plus their tie-ins. CoIE, Infinite Crisis, Countdown to Final Crisis, Final Crisis itself, and the myriad oneshots and miniseries like Superman Beyond and JLA Classified.

If the math is right, it might even have Identity Crisis (because it has the word in it) but probably not Blackest Night, which could easily have 500 pages by itself if you count all the individual tie-ins.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Issy543

News Credits:
    Today, I found out Detective Comics #999 is on sale from comiXology at £1.49... a week after it was released (and when I brought it for £2.49).

Oh well. The sale includes a lot of issues, but no TPBs/Volumes...

Last edited: Mar 5, 2019
  6. Issy543

News Credits:
  7. Mudslide

Mudslide Eyes rolled so hard they fell out of my head.

• Like Like x 1
  8. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    what a treat :confused: 

It probably also includes Zero Hour: Crisis in Time, which was another steaming pile.

9. MatrixOfWumbo

MatrixOfWumbo I see you

News Credits:
    Yeah, I haven't read CoIE or Infinite Crisis, and Countdown and Identity Crisis' reputations precede them. I thought Final Crisis was pretty good but I'm a sucker for a Darkseid story and it's far from worth it to get an omnibus just for that.

10. Bumblebee2000

Bumblebee2000 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    • Like Like x 1
  11. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    Final Crisis is probably the one of those I like the most, even as disjointed as it was. Morrison snuck a couple interesting idea fragments in there.

Zero Hour was an abortion. Half-rebooted a lot of stuff, some of it in such an inept way that the characters couldn't be salvaged or used for years afterwards, like Hawkman.

Infinite Crisis was a pale copy of CoIE, again with a lot of pointless death to try to make it seem more important. I think Johns is a better writer than Wolfman, but this was not his finest hour by any means.

The original Crisis is loved by many, and as a DC fan it should probably be read at least once. But I hate it. I hate what it did.

I totally forgot about Identity Crisis. What a clusterfreak. The mystery the series is built on makes no sense.
    Jean Loring's entire motivation for murder is to manipulate her husband Ray Palmer into coming back to her. But in the first issue, she's the one who FORCES Ray to sign the divorce papers. He didn't want to!
    This is a published novelist? The art is beautiful, though. No fill-in art, either, as opposed to some other Crises like Infinite and Final.

12. Issy543

News Credits:
    Doomsday Clock #9 was amazing! I enjoyed all of it!

The highlights for me were:

• The 9 (or even more) ships that are going to Mars, showing us many iconic characters that are going there
    • The importance of the trinity (Batman, Superman and Wonder Woman) have in this story
    • Bruce admitting he was wrong and Luthor admitting he needs to team up
    • The way Dr Manhattan destroys Guy’s ring, then manages to harness the power of magic, makes Raymond fell confused and betrayal (after revealing the Professor wanted them to be fused together) and after seemingly being defeated, he rebuilds himself, and defeats everyone on Mars
    • Luthor name drops Wally West
    • Black Adam finally makes a move
    The only I don’t get is which Legion of Superhero Dr Manhattan is referencing at the beginning. Does anyone know?

The series may have taken longer than anyone would have expected, but #9 makes me excited for the endgame. Now to wait until March/April for #10, May for #11 and likely July for #12.

• Like Like x 3
  13. GoLion

GoLion Banned

News Credits:
    I still can't get over how much I like Young Justice. Issue 3 is really good.

• Like Like x 1
  14. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    Well, the ring he's holding is a Zero Hour reboot-era ring, but the story he's referencing is an original continuity story. A very famous story in which Ferro Lad sacrifices himself to stop the Sun Eater (on a side note, Ferro Lad was both created and killed off by future Marvel Editor-in-Chief Jim Shooter, way back in the 1960s, when Shooter was still just a kid. I mean not just a young guy but a literal kid, maybe about 15 years old). In the reboot continuity, he also starts to sacrifice himself to stop a Sun Eater (this time in the present day rather than the future), but is stopped by Parallax Hal Jordan, who sacrifices himself instead in a bid at redemption during the Final Night event.

So the story and the ring don't really fit together. Unless it's the Legion Johns and Meltzer brought "back" in their JLA/JSA crossover. That Legion was supposed to be the original version, except hahahaNO. But this is Johns, and I think that Legion did use that design for their rings (the Threeboot that came after the Reboot and before the Johns version used a slightly different design), so I think that's where they're going. Which is a shame, because if we can't go back to the real original Legion -- and we can't -- I'd rather start with a whole new version than have the depressing Johns version again.

Luckily, this was all in the first three preview pages on comixology, so I didn't have to buy the issue. Whew! And speaking of Johns, I still like his work. I still like you, Johns! But that imitation-Moore Dr. Manhattan narration was beyond laughable. Alan Moore would get an upset stomach if he read that. "The ring was never in my hand." Krona wept, man.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Issy543

News Credits:
    Thanks for the information.

I personally don’t mind the narration about Dr Manhattan, but everyone’s entitled to their opinion.

Also:
    Even when facing against a powerful person, some heroes still have the courage to make childish jokes (then again, one is Freddy, and the other is Guy, so what do you expect):
    636A1234-26C1-419F-9987-74598C3A7D9D.png
    AA237DFF-A527-4CAA-91D9-0E70D9846855.png

• Like Like x 2
  16. MatrixOfWumbo

MatrixOfWumbo I see you

News Credits:
    I'm just surprised that the series finale of Justice League predated Final Crisis by two years. That Batman/Darkseid confrontation seemed like the sort of thing they would do to reference the comics without getting in too deep.

This is how I feel about Civil War on Marvel's end, though I don't actually know how beloved it is anymore. The short term way it changed the Marvel Universe, leading to things like the Dark Avengers and Siege (and WW Hulk, to an extent), was actually pretty interesting and it's almost worth reading to see how they got there. The long term way it affected comics in general, wherein superheros now spend a lot more time fighting each other than they do fighting bad guys, is unforgivable.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
  17. Issy543

News Credits:
    GREEN ARROW Relaunch/Reset Coming from DC

"It's a milestone issue - it's also the last issue, which is kind of interesting. The book is still performing well for us, but we decided to end the story there because we wanted Green Arrow to play very intricately in a lot of the stories and events that are about to take place across the DCU," DiDio said.

"Every once in a while you need to do a reset. You saw that with Green Lanterns to The Green Lantern with Grant Morrison, so I feel that with Green Arrow we wanted to make moment to reset and make him part of the bigger DCU again then spin him out."

So...anyone want to guess the new creative team, unless they use either the writer or artist from the last run?

18. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    It's like a kid imitating something they've heard an adult saying without really understanding it.

19. Issy543

News Credits:
    That's what you think about Dr Manhattan's dialogue from Doomsday Clock? Interesting...

20. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    Just that opening bit with the ring. I only read the first three page preview.

• Like Like x 1