DBZ coming back?

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by RisingPhoenix86, Jun 1, 2014.

1. RisingPhoenix86

RisingPhoenix86 One of Soundwaves minions

News Credits:
    So I heard a rumor from a few different people that DragonBall Z will be returning with 200 plus new episodes. Since the movie that came out last year in Japan was such a huge success. Is this really happening? I grew up watching the subbed DB, DBZ and DBGT episodes and fell in love with it in the early 2000's. I'm holding onto hope it is true.

2. SHINOBI03

SHINOBI03 Well-Known Member

First: Do not believe anything that says "Rumor" before "DBZ coming back with new episodes" because there's a big, big chance it's a) false or b) mistranslation of a news article that says something entirely different.
    Second: Go to this site for all your authentic Dragon Ball news: Kanzenshuu - the perfect Dragon Ball database & community!
    Third: Do not believe any Dragon Ball rumor unless it's confirmed at Kanzenshuu - the perfect Dragon Ball database & community!
    Fourth: Even if it says the source is Kanzenshuu - the perfect Dragon Ball database & community!, do not believe it before you check Kanzenshuu - the perfect Dragon Ball database & community! to avoid misinterpretations
    Fifth: If you still have any doubts then go to the message board Kanzenshuu • Index page or contact the site owners as shown in their website Kanzenshuu - the perfect Dragon Ball database & community!, https://twitter.com/kanzenshuu or https://twitter.com/VegettoEX.

In short: Don't believe weak rumors and don't help spreading them unintentionally. Especially with Dragon Ball

3. RisingPhoenix86

News Credits:

The odd thing is though I've heard it from at least a dozen random people in the past month all claiming the same thing. One of them is recently state side from Japan and has a copy of the movie (which is awesome. She let me borrow it) and told me in japan its in the works and they are green lighting it. I said it was a rumor because I don't have a source. I never claimed they said it was a rumor. They all took it as true. None of these people know each other. Just met them at a Con But all claimed the same report. Its odd but who knows. I'll keep my fingers crossed.

Over the years I've heard hundreds of rumors from AF to so much more but I knew better to not believe them. For some reason this one is kicking around and its staying the same story from different people. Makes me wonder at least what is in the mind of akira.

I'm still crossing my fingers for one day we will get a new series. lol

4. SHINOBI03

There's Dragon Ball Kai the Buu Saga for one thing, Battle of Gods will play in US theaters this August, and the FUNimation dub of Kai will air on Toonami later this year. But new episodes? Not happening.

We've dealing with these nonsensical rumors forever and apparently they won't go away anytime sooner.

5. RisingPhoenix86

News Credits:
    Sadly the movie will be subbed and only run in theater for a VERY short run. I love the voice cast from the US versions but I just wish they kept all the same dialog from the original. lol anyway it is a great movie and all should go see it.

Kai sucks in my opinion. I mean its the same thing but the small changes bug me. Like mr popo becoming purple. I hate people for changing a classic show in anyway.

6. SHINOBI03

You do know the home releases are uncensored, right? I do agree on the changes though. That's why I stick with the original DBZ in its original format.

7. Waverider

Waverider Supreme Dude

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    You know that DragonBall will never comeback with new stories under the Z tag. Each time Toei Animation releases a new DB series it will be under a different tag. Maybe Dragon Ball XP or DB Vista. Whatever they think sounds cool. I highly doubt a new series with a new story will be ever be made.

8. Gryph

Gryph Action Master

News Credits:
    I don't really understand how anyone can hate Kai. It fixes the god awful pacing of the original, and actually makes it a watchable show.

9. Omegax80

Omegax80 Using a Positive Rifle

News Credits:
    Only thing I recall reading was the series being remastered or something of that sort, but nothing new. I think GT proved that too much might not be a good thing.

Also, how could anyone hate Kai? They barely changed the original. Nothing major was changed except for cosmetics. It's like getting upset over how Lucas changed the way the Death star blew up. Not like they changed it from an explosion to confetti.

10. Puck Hockey

Puck Hockey Well-Known Member

Kai is alright. Popo being purple and "mud" blood isn't a thing in the uncut home releases.

Dragon Ball is already in its grave. We should just let it rest.

11. SHINOBI03

How does Star Wars fans feel about the special editions that added unnecessary new effects and replaced actors with others or E.T. fans about replacing guns with walkie talkies? Or how about if Steven Spielberg decided to cut Jurassic Park short and removed what he sees as "pointless scenes" and replaced John Williams score with hard rock and overused new cgi effects?

Same way with Dragon Ball. I prefer the show in its original version the way it was for decades. I want all that filler and added scenes and all original voices and music. You may chose to ignore them but they are still part of the show that has been available for over 20 years. Sure I may not grown with the Japanese version, but our dub was mainly based on it and I got introduced to the Japanese version later on and I instantly loved it.

12. wheelnut

wheelnut Well-Known Member

give me the english Funamation version anyday. I for one cannot stand to listen to japs talking in DBZ or GT , sounds like a bunch of whiney kids.

As for a new series , well I'm not for it. Don't get me wrong I'm a big fan but it wouldn't be the same. Too much time has passed and chances are original characters would not return.

13. Puck Hockey

But Kai is closer to the original manga. If anything, it's the anime version that is considered "the special edition" with unnecessary changes. And Kai uses the original music the show had (well, it did after the whole music plagiarism thing).

The 'added content' the anime provides does nothing to enhance the original story. At best, some of the Buu saga filler fights are passable.

14. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    Well they have started releasing the rest of Dragonball Z Kai.

And there's also Battle of the Gods.

15. Dolza_Khyron

Dolza_Khyron Well-Known Member

if it looks like the animation of that movie with the z fighters vs the vorticons, count me out. lol i thought that animation looked terrible. at least from the trailer on funimation.

16. SHINOBI03

I have the manga if I want the whole story. The anime is for the most part a bonus additions and I want to see them. Plus there are legendary fillers and infamous continuity scenes I want to explore in the future like Bulma and the Crab :p  (Bulma did it before Rarity :p ).

And yeah, it uses the same music now, but they are misplaced and not fitting like how it was in original version.

17. CrypticIllusionist

CrypticIllusionist Well-Known Member

To the surprise of absolutely no one, this thread derailed quick. But hey, while we're talking about Kai hate, let me vent...
    Kai gets a lot of undue hate largely from people who don't really know what they're talking about (this is not aimed at SHINOBI03, just to be clear); typically fans who are very nostalgic for the old US dub of Z which was, by all objective standards, not good at best and tremendously insulting to its source material at worst; to say nothing to the even worse Westwood dub. FUNimation's English dub of Kai is far better-acted and better translated (if you can call the old dub "translated" at all seeing as a lot of it was plainly rewritten with complete disregard of the original dialogue's intention) as well as marginally better casted.
    Additional Kai hate comes from misconceptions over the censorship. Seems a lot of people watched it on Nicktoons and 4Kids expecting to see gushes of blood and gore. Kai, even in its home release, is censored somewhat but nowhere near as much as what you see on its North American broadcasts. Popo is only blue on the 4Kids broadcast, the halos are not orbs on home video, most of the blood is still intact on home video, etc.
    It just irks me since these fans seem to have completely forgotten that Dragon Ball Z received the exact same treatment back when it was airing here (i.e. considerably censored on TV, not so on DVD).
    The musical score in Kai, on the other hand, is an unfortunate mess due to outside legal matters.

And SHINOBI03, I totally understand where you're coming from and I have no contentions with your position. I personally prefer Kai for my own reasons, and you prefer Z for perfectly good reasons.

Aaaanyway, to the original topic: Yeah, I can say with relative confidence the rumour is a big load. Never ever trust the Dragon Ball fandom to provide reliable information by word of mouth.

I especially love Kai for the colour correction done on the old footage. So nice to be able to see a lot of the picture detail that got saturated out in former releases.

EDIT: And yes, the likely source of this rumour is a corruption of the fact that Kai has been renewed and the Buu saga is currently airing in Japan. And, while FUNimation is making no official statement on the matter, Sean Schemmel and Kyle Hebert have both said outright that they've done recording for it.

18. TrueNomadSkies

TrueNomadSkies Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Well said. I won't even watch Kai because if nothing else, I don't like the fact that shit's been cut out, let alone the audio changes.

19. Gryph

Gryph Action Master

News Credits:
    Shit needed to be cut out. The pacing of DBZ is considered a joke for good reason. I watched the original in it's entirety, the pacing is a goddamn train wreck. After watching Kai, I don't think I could ever stand to watch the original again. Nostalgia is fine, but I'll never let it prevent me from enjoying something good.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2014
  20. Puck Hockey

We never even got to hear "Big Bang Attack" in the old Funimation dub :p 

Brian Drummond is the best English Vegeta. That's right. I said it.