Day 1 locked "Multiplayer Havoc" DLC...

Discussion in 'Transformers Video Game Discussion' started by Tiller, Aug 21, 2012.

1. Forceman4077

Forceman4077 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The story is good, but it never covers on-disk "dlc".

The issue is the on-disk nature of the "dlc" and that it feels like content that was held back, only to screw consumers. Day one dlc is fine, but when all your preview videos from back in the middle of July show Wheeljack and Perceptor as selectable characters, you can't help but feel slighted.

2. Forceman4077

Forceman4077 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Nope on XBL it's 80 msp per part aka $1.

3. Flaming Matrix

Flaming Matrix Murder claw master

I actually have no problems with it, exept that there was no indication that we'd have to pay for those guys, as you said.

4. Galaxy Convoy

Galaxy Convoy Well-Known Member

You can thank Microsoft and Sony for on-disc DLC becoming more and more prevailent. Fact is both companies fleece the hell out of developers with their fees for every bit of DLC and patch they release. The bigger the DLC or patch, the more they charge the developers. And they get hit with the double whammy if their game is multi-platform. Developers have to find ways to make up for that cost or atleast mitigate it. Hence on-disc DLC. The fee on a 100kb unlock code is far less than what it would be if the DLC was 100% downloadable.

Then of course there's the compatibility issues. It's either put the data on the disc and ensure that anyone that buys the DLC is *always* able to use what they paid for no matter what, with the least amount of hassle. Or the devs segregate the playerbase in some form and seperate the "have's" from the "have nots". Or they allow both sets of players to play together and the ability to use the DLC is entirely dependent on whether everyone else in a match/game has it or not. And usually there's alot more "have nots" than there are "have's", I'm sure people would howl in rage if they couldn't use Grimlock because atleast one guy in the match didn't buy him.

Or there's the compatibility pack "solution". If those are mandatory downloads, then all the people that can't or won't buy the DLC bitch and whine about having to download the data to their HDs for something they're not ever gonna use. And if a developer is stupid enough to make the packs optional downloads, then any game's online community can and *will* sabotage everyone else that bought the DLC, as seen with Mortal Kombat 9. The DLC characters in that game were almost completely downloadable(the first one was partially on the disc, but was largely unfinished), but were straight up unusable because 95% of MK9's online "community" were cheap, non DLC-buying bastards that also, for whatever reason, wouldn't even bother to download the FREE compatibility packs that came with FREE alt costumes for some of the on-disc characters. Or my personal favorite, the assclowns that purposefully ignored the packs as a way of ensuring they wouldn't have to face the DLC characters because they hated them or called them cheap or out of spite or whatever dumb reason.

So yeah, you guys tell me, which of those options is the easiest and FAIREST way for developers to handle the DLC AND avoids getting flipped over and dry f*cked by MS and Sony?

5. Shizuka

Shizuka Optimus Prime's Scriptor

News Credits:
    This isn't High Moon's fault, it's Activision. I'm 100% sure that from a business strategy-wise they wanted content to be set aside to be sold for money. HMS merely made the content but I'm sure they weren't incharge of it.

6. Shizuka

News Credits:
    You're telling people to wait for something that might not even come.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6qq2X1V15C8

I love pointing this out when it comes to DLC because this pack was oh so good.

7. DJW107PRIME

DJW107PRIME Autobot Hero

Ebay:
    OMG Avatar items for 360 owners and costumes!!!!

8. Star Streaker

Star Streaker Decepticon

PC Owners never got that pack.

You lucky bastards. At least we have Steam. That's good.. right?

9. Jadryx

Jadryx Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'm assuming the individual parts they are selling for 80 points each (hello ripoff!) are made up of the parts from the Havoc pack, right? So if I break down and pay $10 I'll get all those parts to use in MP?

10. Squints

Squints Well-Known Member

THANK YOU.

Seriously, people, everyone read this post. There are very valid reasons for on-disc DLC and why it can actually be beneficial to the players, and as to it being available at launch...well, if it already exists why hold it back for an arbitrary release date? And it's not necessarily "evil" or anything for them to expect $70 for the content between the basic material and $10 DLC because maybe, based on the budget, time, and work put in to generate that material, $70 is a reasonable price for all of it.

11. soundwaverulls

soundwaverulls Taking a break

Not everyone who buys this game will buy the DLC. Therefor, the on disk DLC must be covered by the price of the game by itself or they would be losing money. So why are they now charging us to unlock it?

12. Squints

Squints Well-Known Member

Flawed logic. It costs them no more to put the DLC on disc than it does to put it up for download--either way, the DLC is already made. In fact, it actually costs them less to put it on disc, both in immediate costs and in the additional overhead of ensuring compatibility, which is why they do it. Regardless of where the DLC is stored, they're taking a loss on every player who doesn't buy the DLC, and making a (hopefully proportionally larger) profit on every player who does buy it.

13. Shizuka

News Credits:
    I do like that though they're charging you, at least on Xbox you can just go an buy specific parts. If you only want Wheeljack's wheels and Ultra Magnu's head then you can get those and those alone.

This means that you have some control over your purchase and each part is 80 points each.

14. Sideswipe80

Sideswipe80 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Amen.

15. Star Streaker

Star Streaker Decepticon

16. Silverbolt-X

Silverbolt-X Well-Known Member

Nope sorry, i'm not paying for Zeta Prime again.

17. knightmare6

knightmare6 Reflector In Disguise

Ebay:
    Nope, no Game of the Year edition

18. soundwaverulls

soundwaverulls Taking a break

I don't know that much about how games are developed and I've only just heard of on disk DLC so I've probably got everything completely wrong. However, from my understanding, when you buy off disk DLC, you're adding something new to the game but when you get on disk DLC, you're getting access to something you already have.

19. jags828

jags828 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Can you use Ultra Magnus in Escalation mode after buying the DLC?

20. Shizuka

News Credits:
    I don't think so since Escalation has preselected characters and it would be insanely stupid to 1) include DLC characters in the selection and 2) to restrict access to one or more of the selected characters.

That would literally be like buying Street Fighter but then havin to pay to play as Ryu and when that day happens I may very well quit gaming.