Dave Chappelle hosting SNL next week

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by Tekkaman Blade, Nov 4, 2016.

1. ABrown

ABrown Well-Known Member

I think not only was this episode the least that I've been entertained by a SNL show this season, but it's probably the episode that I've found least entertaining in several years. I just find Dave Chappelle to be EXTREMELY annoying.

2. moreprimeland

moreprimeland Optimus told me to do it!

News Credits:
    I was disappointed overall, Chappelle is/was much funnier in his old show... TWD skit was fairly decent and his monologue was okay, but was hoping for much, much more from him... (yeah possibly NBC was holding him back some, but it's midnight...loosen up) he seemed to be dialing it in and reading the 'cue' cards too much... but I will say I really enjoyed his and Chris Rock's skit the best. The two of them 'really enjoyed' doing that one, me thinks. :lol 

3. CyclonuS_ZerO

CyclonuS_ZerO Uni-con

News Credits:
    I seriously almost had a coronary from laughing. Haven't laughed that hard in years. We need you back Dave, the world of comedy has been dark since you've been gone. Come on back Dave. COME ON BACK DAVE!!!!

4. smkspy

smkspy Remember true fans

Dave looks weird bulked up. Not carrot top weird, but very reminiscent.

5. Ephland

Ephland Let's Go Rangers

News Credits:
    Why did you even bother watching?

6. Hazekiah

Hazekiah Banned

News Credits:
    The best part of the show was the spoof of "The Walking Dead."

Perhaps uncoincidentally, it also was basically a skit from "The Chapelle Show" rather than a bit from SNL.

The rest of the show was plagued with the same poorly-rehearsed, obviously-reading-off-of-cue-cards, lame performance bullshit that's typified SNL for WAY too much of its runtime in recent years/decades.

The material was fine, it's just the performances and performers that consistently drag it all down.

:-\

7. ABH1979

ABH1979 Veteran

I actually expected Dave's Negan to "retire" all of those characters.

• Like Like x 1
  8. ABrown

ABrown Well-Known Member

Well for one, because I watch Saturday Night Live. Two, I was really curious to see what kind of skits they were going to do after the election. And three, there's been many celebrities over the years that I'm not fans of that have surprised me by putting on (what I considered) a very entertaining performance on SNL.

9. Haloid1177

Haloid1177 Hey, That's Pretty Good

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    I thought it was fine, but there was definitely a more somber tone for the show because of recent events than I think a lot of people expected. It worked well for what they wanted to do though I thought.

10. smkspy

Completely expected the tone, it ran through all media outlets especially in the late night/news comedian circuits. John Oliver's meltdown last night the most epic of them.

11. Incepticon

Incepticon |-+-|

News Credits:
    Agreed, and I couldn't be prouder of someone that hosts a show finally having the balls to look at the camera and say what so, so, sooooo many of us are thinking and react so similarly. Everyone else has been so "diplomatically subdued" to say the least... obviously fearful of possible reparations and backlash. But not Oliver. And good for him.

That's probably as close to the no-no line as I can get, so I'll leave it at that. As for SNL... pretty much on par with what I expected, though FAR less scathing than I was hoping for. Just like the episode BEFORE the whole you-know-what that Cumberbatch hosted.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Megastar

Megastar Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I've never watched John Oliver's show before, but I'm a fan now.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Tekkaman Blade

Tekkaman Blade Professor of Animation

News Credits:
    You should watch it, he's great at finding little known issues, breaking them down so they are easy to follow all while making them absurdly funny.

• Like Like x 1
  14. smkspy

Yeah, I'm generally fan too, last night though my epic comment wasn't that the melt was good, but I'll leave it at that.

15. Hazekiah

Hazekiah Banned

News Credits:
    Pretty much ALL the late night hosts have been KILLING IT lately, actually. Bill Maher, John Oliver, Samantha Bee, Stephen Colbert...hell, even Seth Meyers and Trevor Noah. Man, it's been ESSENTIAL viewing if you've been struggling to keep your sanity over recent events.

If you've been missing it all then I would STRONGLY recommend digging around the last few months of that stuff on YouTube for a few minutes/hours/days here and there!

And, yeah. It was cool to see Chapelle get in on the action for a while, too.

He really needs his own show again a.s.a.p.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2016
    • Like Like x 1
  16. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

I think NBC was fairly terrified so they likely put a lot of breaks on instead of letting him go with where he might. I haven't confirmed it but there was a rumor floating around that the show was on a 5 second delay in case they needed to bleep out anything he said or cut something out.

Comedy Central they seemed to thrive on something that was going to push what you could get away with on basic cable. Plus being a skit show they had plenty of time to decide can we really get away with this skit or not? Being live-ish Saturday Night Live had to worry what if he gets out of control so lets water Chappelle down and get him to read off the cue cards rather than let Chappelle run wild.