Datsun Brothers: Siege or Earthrise?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by TyrantGalvatron, Dec 8, 2020.

?

Which Datsun Brothers Do You Prefer?

1. Siege

26 vote(s)
    21.3%
  2. Earthrise

79 vote(s)
    64.8%
  3. Undecided

3 vote(s)
    2.5%
  4. Both

14 vote(s)
    11.5%
  1. TyrantGalvatron

TyrantGalvatron Hasbro is NOT your enemy.

News Credits:
    Ok so the reason I'm posting this thread is, even though I didn't see any need to pick up the Earthrise Datsun mold, the other day, I was in Walgreens picking up a prescription and I had some Walgreens points to burn. Bluestreak was on the shelf and I was able to pick him up for *dirt* cheap with my points. I figured, "why not?"

I've been extremely torn on the Earthrise Datsun mold. I really didn't like the unsightly clip on wheels and I am completely satisfied with the Siege Datsun brothers.

Getting Earthrise Bluestreak in hand, he's a really nice figure. I like him alot. So I put him side by side with my Siege Bluestreak and I'm completely torn on which one to keep. I like them both for different reasons.

I don't see any need to keep both in my collection. One Bluestreak and one set of Datsun brothers is enough. But, I don't know. I'm really torn here.

I'm usually all about animation accuracy and the Earthrise version scratches that itch. But there's something really cool and unique about the Siege mold. I like cybertronian alternate modes and these Siege Datsun brothers are just really nice looking figures (Especially Smokescreen and Bluestreak).

So help me decide here. If I go the Earthrise route, I doubt I'll ever be able to get a full set because the Earthrise Ironhide/Prowl set was out of my price range and I believe it's completely sold out anyway.

So help a fellow collector out. Which way would you go?

2. Slingshot

Slingshot Back In the Game

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    The Siege Datsun mold has a sharper and sleeker design of the two. If you already own Bluestreak, it’ll be even easier to get Siege Smokescreen and Prowl, the latter even going for retail on BBTS. At least you’ll be able to collect all of them for a reasonable price, unlike the ER Prowl being expensive.

• Like Like x 5
  3. TyrantGalvatron

News Credits:
    Great point. I also forgot to mention that I already own a full set of Siege Datsun Brothers.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Pravus Prime

Pravus Prime Wields Mjolnir!

News Credits:
    As someone who has ER Prowl and SIEGE Smokescreen, Bluestreak, and Barricade, I prefer the SIEGE mold, by far. It has a more fluid and fun transformation and feels like a more solid figure in hand. ER pretty much has "moar Geewun!" and is fine if that's your preference.

I also like that the SIEGE Cars looks like a mishmash of current high technology cars; such as the tesla super roof, the thin LED headlights, low CD profiles for high efficiency, etc. Rather than an obscure foreign car that had already been replaced by 1984 (The 280 ZX being replaced with the 300 ZX, which didn't look like it's predecessors.)

That said, I don't fault anyone who prefers ER, and if all you care about is bot mode, I can even see feeling the other way, preferring the ER over the SIEGE versions. I'll also admit that I had to work a bit on my Prowl to get it to properly lock in (and the numerous horror stories from owners of ER Bluestreak and Smokescreen don't help either), while all my SIEGE cars have been great and solid in hand, so I also think there may be another issue there as well. Furthermore, I'll readily admit that if Selects did a Blue Bluestreak via Selects or some exclusive, I'd probably buy it.

But, the question asks which I prefer, and I prefer the SIEGE versions.

• Like Like x 4
  5. TyrantGalvatron

News Credits:
    Thanks for the detailed post. All are great points.

As a sidenote, what are the Earthrise Datsun Brother horror stories?

Edit: Just saw the horror stories were about the Earthrise mold.

6. Ikkstakk

Ikkstakk Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I prefer the Earthrise Datsuns, but then I love the '80s car look. They give me a bigger nostalgia hit.
    20201117_000724.jpg

• Like Like x 2
  7. Maximus Danz

Maximus Danz Trying to achieve something

News Credits:
    I Like Earthmodes.

• Like Like x 2
  8. orangeitis

orangeitis All orange, all the time. Looks infectious.

News Credits:
    Why is it that it's expected to choose one or the other? Why is it so hard to consider that people might actually want to have spaces in their collection for both Cybertronian modes and Earth modes for each character in their collection?

Please put in an option for "both". Thanks. :<

• Like Like x 1
  9. TyrantGalvatron

News Credits:
    Done.

With that said, I was specifically asking for help with my collection/situation which for me, keeping both isn't really a viable option. A "if you had to choose one or the other" type deal.

• Like Like x 3
  10. orangeitis

orangeitis All orange, all the time. Looks infectious.

News Credits:
    Oh. Gotcha. :< Best of luck to you then.

11. ophyjgjhnfn

ophyjgjhnfn Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    They are just enough different that I appreciate the G1 but not G1. That and I already had them and refuse to double dip...

12. Fenrys

Fenrys Formerly Tigatron2002

News Credits:
    Between the two I like the ER versions a lot better. It fixes the problems I had with the waist, chest and leg proportions

• Like Like x 1
  13. Hyoumaru

Hyoumaru M.S.B.S. ver. 10.5

While both are decent figures, my preference goes towards Earthrise.

The Siege Datsun mold feels a bit more skeletal compared to the Earthrise mold. Prowl and Smokescreen, ESPECIALLY Smokescreen, their Siege decos felt very unfinished, the pure black torsos made them feel very "naked". On top of that, the car mode of the Siege mold felt very underwhelming, it's hard to ignore how much it basically looks like a shoe. That being said, there are positives. The siege mold is easier to transform, and less translucent plastic involved in the construction so less risk of breakage. I really feel Bluestreak made the best use of the mold.

The Earthrise Datsun mold has its own share of problems. Opposite the Siege version, there's a lot of translucent plastic involved in its construction, which means it's best handled delicately. The shins being made of painted translucent plastic is a pretty bad eyesore, and that turning panel for the ankle just loves to pop off. On top of that, the car mode doesn't hold together nearly as well as the Siege one. The shoulder cannons (for those who have them) and rifle are much better though, and it does make for a great looking robot mode, not to mention Smokescreen and Barricade have more differences to them than just a different head.

Lot of factors to consider really.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  14. warhawk

warhawk Well-Known Member

Instagram:
    I prefer Earthrise, but am getting both. Quick question, was there another Earthrise Bluestreak? I have yet to find one in the wild.

• Like Like x 1
  15. ACMagnus

ACMagnus Phantom Thief

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    I personally prefer the Earthrise mold, but since I had Siege Prowl and Bluestreak, I didn't wanna go out of my way to pick up their ER versions, so my Datusns use a mix of both. Since Smokescreen was always the odd one out to me, him being the only ER Datsun on my shelf kinda emphasizes that

• Like Like x 1
  16. Matrix1981

Matrix1981 It's Hot Rod's fault...

If distribution made it so you could actually get a whole team I would say both. But considering Hasbro likes to put members as "Store exclusives" all over the place I can barely recommend one. I like the look of the Earthrise ones but finding all 3 is not gonna happen(at retail/msrp that is)

• Like Like x 2
  17. Preach Starscream

Preach Starscream Well-Known Member

I loved the Siege mold, but I feel Earthrise took everything Siege did and improved it greatly.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Pillowman7

Pillowman7 This gonna be bananas

I like the car a little better on the Siege versions but the Siege versions were always a little too short and stubby for my likes. The proportions on the ER versions are much better.

• Like Like x 2
  19. Deltron Magnus

Deltron Magnus TFW's Prettiest Princess

It's a tough call. I have all four Siege bots and ER Bluestreak and Smokescreen (hopefully Amazon will ship Prowl to me eventually). I love both versions and am glad to have them in my collection. If I absolutely had to choose though I'd go with Siege.

ER gives gets me my nostalgia fix quite nicely. They look great in both car and bot modes, and as someone whose primary attachment to G1 is the Sunbow cartoon, they're very satisfying figures overall. They also look a bit more solid in bot mode. The problem lies in the transformation. They're kind of pain to get everything lined up properly and that combined with the translucent plastic on the legs makes me nervous when I transform them. I worry I'll break something. It doesn't help that Bluestreak and Prowl are exclusives and are no longer available online except for scalpers. Prowl in particular I'll being uneasy when transforming (if indeed I receive him).

The Siege mold, while not as cartoon accurate, is a more interesting design, while still having a lot of that classic G1 look. I know the proportions in bot mode are not to everyone's tastes, but I think they give it a pretty cool look. The car mode is killer - in fact I consider it the best car mode in WFC. I also prefer the Siege shoulder cannons. Oh, and Siege Smokescreens face is much better than that of his ER counterpart.

• Like Like x 4
  20. AutobotAvalanche

AutobotAvalanche Number One in Boogieland

News Credits:
    Universe

• Like Like x 3