Customs: Darkcave Customs Commissions

Discussion in 'Commissioner Listing and Feedback' started by autobotx23, Jun 18, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. n10zguy

n10zguy Well-Known Member

well I commissioned one of his custom Springer heads for DotM Skyhammer. I waited for a few months and he did get back to me to tell that the tempertaure or climate or something was causing problems with the resin casting and he asked if I still wanted to wait of if I wanted a refund. Being appreciative of the response and the offer (plus being a big fan of his work owning 3 pieces made by him), I told him I'd gladly wait till he could get it done. Then out of nowhere a couple weeks ago I got a PayPal refund email from him. Sucks cause I really wanted that head, but if he's got personal things going on then I totally understand.

2. unicron nemesis

unicron nemesis Collector + Photographer

News Credits:
    This is not something recent. It's been like that at least at the beginning of the year when I started a transaction with him. Not too sure about what personal matter he's going through and I hope everything's ok and he continues with his great work (That's the reason why we're all here in this thread).

However I think some communication, even a one-liner to say that there's some problem, would be greatly appreciated. As mentioned earlier, mine was a ready-made, on-hand kit which just needed to be shipped out. That's all. Few months later, the transaction was cancelled after a few emails/PMs (had to resort to many different methods to get a reply from him) and a refund which came in two parts. Bought the base figure for the Impactor kit and in the end, ended up with a Marvel X-over figure which is just lying there.

Kinda disappointing but oh well, I doubt I'd the skills to paint the kit as nicely as he did anyway.

3. unicron nemesis

News Credits:
    Not sure if you're refering to me but anyway:

Didn't receive the impactor kit although he claimed that he sent it out the first time (but could not provide any shipping/postage info even after I asked him for it). Then he said it was returned to him and that he will send it out again. Again same thing as the first time. No info on shipping/postage and of course, did not receive the kit either. After some more chasing, a refund was decided and that again took a long time. He made a partial refund and said there was some problem with his paypal, etc. Then disappeared until I hounded him to get back the rest of my money. So basically, after months of chasing, worrying, I ended up back at square one. With the little info I got from the emails/PMs, I don't even know if the kit was even sent out in the first place. I've had thousands of online transactions since 2004 and only about less than 5 had problem reaching me...

I'm not trying to smear his reputation or what. I'm just stating the facts here. I had to resort to leaving comments on his profile to get his attention. He saw that but not my PMs. I really would like to give my benefit of the doubt but it's really really hard in such circumstances. Moreover, there are a few members who encountered the same problems and PMed me too. I've kept ALL these PMs & emails (with other members & with Earl) just in case. Anyway, at least I got my money back...I strongly suggest anyone else who have waited months for their stuff and is still waiting to contact him and update here. I see him selling on eBay recently so I guess he was still doing some customs. So question is, what about those which are commissioned outside of eBay?

4. Psycho Pete

Psycho Pete Member

Dude, thank you very much for this info. Can I ask how you finally got his attension? by writting on his page on this network right? Any help really appreciated.

5. unicron nemesis

News Credits:
    What I did was that I left a message on his Profile page here. And this was after seeing others doing it regarding similar problems. He was pissed that I posted on his profile page but come on, I think if I didn't, I'll still be waiting over here for him to respond. I also posted on one of this custom thread. Maybe you could do that too. At the same time, that can also serve as a warning to others who are thinking of commissioning him.

Seriously, if he has some issues, he should stop accepting commissions and sort things out first. Like i'd said (and if you read from the posts on his profile page) this started very long ago, as early as the beginning of the year. It's not doing his reputation any good.

6. MechaKnight

MechaKnight Autobot

I myself have been waiting almost 2 years, and I STILL haven't even gotten a WIP photo. I paid $415.00 and now I want it back. I've messaged him over Email, here, and Facebook. If anyone has any way to help, would be appreciated.

7. Slimaximus

Slimaximus Headmaster

News Credits:
    Well i'm finally going to make my deal with him public, I commisioned a project from him over 3years ago, communication was good for the 1st 2 years, but this last year around october I stopped getting responses. I have given him $250 all the figures needed for the project plus quite a few gundam kits which he has used for many projects including his prime directive series of custom. He really was great with communication but then just fell off the face of the planet. I've been extremely patient up until this point as well but the lack of communication has finally gotten to me. So any news or info would be appreciated

8. autobotx23

autobotx23 Banned

Well, I guess it's nice to be missed, but this is not the way I envisioned it.

Full refunds will be issued across the board within the constraints of reasonable repayment time, unless you STILL want your project and want to discuss the acceptable time frame. Of course, no more commissions will be accepted. Very few of you or any of my customers have ever given me full payment up front, so please do not expect full compensation at once. That's unreasonable.

For those I have disappointed, you have my apologies and regrets...but you can't spend those, right? PM me with your failed project title and the cost and we will go from there. For those of you who have been in touch with me and we have worked out an agreement, we will continue with those agreements, and I thank you for your support of the past few months of a living hell Ive been dealing with.

On another note....I'm not going anywhere. Sorry. Even if not here at TFW or anywhere else, I bash cause I love it. That's why I started, that's why I'll keep doing it. I've never had the intention of robbing and running. In some cases my eyes were bigger than my stomach, so to speak. Most recently, I have not had the ability, time or place to bash. Plain and simple. But, actions speak louder than words....and It's almost time for me to start "acting" again.

Again, my apologies. As important as Transformers are to me, my family and career are MUCH more important. And that's how it should be for any husband and father. I know many of you don't have those responsibilities, and perhaps can't understand. For those who have had to make the hard choices when faced with adversity, I hope I have your empathy if nothing else.

Til All Are One...

Earl aka AutobotX23 aka Darkcave Customs...bitches :thumb 

9. strata32000

strata32000 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    I'm really glad to see that Earl has replied to all of the recent feedback that has
    been left over the last few months.

I can tell you all that I also own one of his earlier customs and had the pleasure of meeting him in person at Botcon back in 2009.
    Earl has great integrity and is one of the nicest guys you will ever meet.

I can only hope that all of you that have dealing with him can work things out
    and resolve an issue that you may have.

Earl you are a solid artist and an even better man.
    This year will be a better year for AutobotX23;) 

Best wishes to everyone.

10. thielmj

thielmj Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Place holder for something really soon i'm hoping.

11. Superquad7

Superquad7 OCP Police Crime Prevention Unit 001 Super Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    AX23, certainly many thanks for the update and what you've chosen to disclose with us here publicly. We wish you well as you continue to take care of things on your end! :thumb 

For the rest, please only post if you have legitimate feedback to offer. You MAY post if you have something outstanding (a simple "I'm waiting on an update" is fine), or if you have totally completed your business and wish to post of your experiences. Otherwise, this thread needs to stay reserved for such instances.

12. Whalemusic360

Whalemusic360 Well-Known Member

I should add I have two outstanding projects with E, for over two years. I also have purchased customs from him in the past, and he's always rocked the project.

I've also picked up a few non customs from E I haven't got, but I told him they could come with the customs.

13. Psycho Pete

Psycho Pete Member

I'm Waiting for My custom Impactor to be shipped or a responce to know when it will be posted out would be nice. Thank you.

Just give me my stuff man, enough is enough!

14. thielmj

thielmj Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I got one of my commisions in from darkcave today Valentines day gift for my girl and and it took a while to get but it was definately worth it, the figure turned out great and earls the only one i know who does bleach cross over customs so getting one of her 2 favorite bleach characters for here today of alll days worked out great. If your waiting just be patient try to talk to him and he'll get your stuff done and do a good job with it.

15. Billzilla

Billzilla Skepticon

News Credits:
    Anyone who has been defrauded by Earl Tubbs (autobotx23 here on TFW) is urged to file a complaint at Internet Crime Complaint Center (IC3) | Home. If you have time, also file a complaint with the police department in Earl's town- El Mirage Arizona. The phone number is (623) 933-1341. Good luck.

EDIT: I have received a tracking number and a nice email acting like I was overreacting for expecting someone to mail me figures they said they had in hand (and I paid for) in September. I'm never going to get the time back I wasted on you.

EDIT: Received my items. Broken, dirty, some with paint splattered on it, several items missing. Earl refused to discuss a refund with me unless I called him on the phone, thereby exposing even more of my personal information to this obvious scammer. When I refused, he told me that it was my fault I wouldn't be getting anything. I'm done dealing with him if I have to chat with this liar on the phone to get my money back he can keep it. I'm done hearing his lies.

DO NOT GET SCAMMED, HE WILL SAY ANYTHING TO GET YOUR MONEY.

If you have a pending transaction with Earl, do not hesitate- seek mediation.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 17, 2012
  16. ducti748

ducti748 Well-Known Member

Earl "donte" tubbs.... What can I say .. I first dealt with earl in 2010, we had a great communication at first (first commission was the ironfist outta hound) I paid for the hound had it shipped to him and paid for the commission in 3 parts I think. He sent me progress pictures everything seemed to be going well. When I got the figure little bit on paint was chipping in the joints as if it was prepped poorly and played with, after some touch ups it was beautiful I praised him cause it was deserving he did a great job. One issue I had was he didn't send the ravage and extra hand grenades which he promised.. No biggie cause I commissioned him for a metalhawk outta cyclonus.. Paid 2/3 of our payment plan.. Then saw his impactor and begged to make me one too.. then I paid for that too.. Made all my payments, and then he made topspin from a marvel crossover.. Same deal asked to make me one.. We just figure to would be easier if we ship it all together to save some cash.. So when the figures were shipped(now including and sg rodimus) I had well over a $1000 invested in darkcrave customs.. When I picked them up at my post office I raced home to open them, only to find beaten up and falling apart customs.. At first I thought it was the post office treating the box like shit but I took a solid look and he didn't pack the box like there was $1000 dollars worth of product and the figures were missing screws and paint.. I got hold of him we agreed he'd fix them and send back... After paying another $150 in custom charges and another $30 in 2-3 shipping.. This whole time he was very cool about it and responded very quickly.. During this time I also commissioned a batman figure to look like a buddy of mine paid for it $120 is what he charged me.. He never showed me any progress.. I told him repeatedly that I needed it by a certain time he was cool with it.. I never got it. He said his wife/gf shipped it to someone else.. After that he was hard to get hold of I'd have to email and text and facebook until he told me I was being a dick and being unreasonable.. Couple heated emails back and forth we worked it out and he said he'd ship everything together cause he wanted "wash his hands of me" it's been 1yr and 4months and not a word no refund no nothing.. I wanna press charges but .. I figure he owes me about $1300.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 16, 2012
  17. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Administrator News Staff

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    Dear all,

We do not usually comment on staff actions on issues like this as they are usually between the concerned parties, however due to the numbers of you posting here I felt it appropriate to share an update. I have personally raised the issue of outstanding customs / refunds today, and I am currently waiting on a response.

We on the staff hope we can resolve this, otherwise alternate measures will be pursued.

18. payton34

payton34 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    FWIW, I commissioned a custom Warpath last year (before the Generations figure came out, this one was made from the Straxus mold), and although it took a couple of months longer than originally forecasted, he did deliver a great custom.

19. ThinkTank Customs

ThinkTank Customs TFW2005-Citizen

News Credits:
    I believe in the best of him, and hope I'll be not dissapointed again. Thx to the Tfw staff for moderating between us and earl :) 

Last edited: Feb 15, 2012
  20. Slimaximus

Slimaximus Headmaster

News Credits:
    Yes thank you to the staff for the moderation help in this situation, I understand times can be rough it happens to all of us at some point, and earl has been great in the past hence why i'm trying to avoid acting the same as some of the other clients of darkcave. But I do feel slightly disrespected by not getting any direct communications since last year. Here is hoping for the best, quick and peaceful resolution to all our issues.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.