Dark Souls Remastered

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by Rodimus Prime, Jan 11, 2018.

1. Drangleic

Drangleic Banned

I'm replaying 2, Scholar of the First Sin edition.

I don't get how anyone can talk shit about this game. I just don't get it at all. It's a masterpiece.

Personally I feel it's better than 3.

And the challenge vs reward ratio is the best out of all of them.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2018
    • Like Like x 2
  2. Dachande

Dachande Formerly Yaujta... Moderator TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    DS2 is a beast. The toughness is so much more intimidating than DS1 and 3. It really is a more balanced game in that you can't get super powered and roll through it like the other two games.
    My girlfriend is still playing it but is getting somewhat frustrated. She's gotten used to being a powerhouse in DS1, but is still weak in 2.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Drangleic

Drangleic Banned

yup!

Tell her the key to everything is getting adaptability up to 20. Once you get that everything else clicks.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Dachande

News Credits:
    She's played it before, but it's been ages.
    Thanks for the tip!

• Like Like x 1
  5. Drangleic

Drangleic Banned

Sorcerer works great in DS2 until you get to the DLC parts. Really struggling. So brutal.

Dark Fog doesn't work on most of the enemies and they're so quick so Soul Arrows and Great Lightining is risky. Even with a 112 casting speed I'm getting clobbered.

Oh and they do shit damage to them too.

• Like Like x 1
  6. ShinGi

ShinGi Well-Known Member

So I played DS 2 and DS 3 but never 1 and after playing the Remaster I am really enjoying. Currently preparing to fight Sif and have rung both bells of awakening. Also playing it has made me realize that they were really really charitable with Bonfires in 3.

7. Fuzz

Fuzz Garbage Pail Kid

Oh shit yeah! I had only played DS3 when remastered came out, and the amount of physical traveling you have to do in DS1 was really jarring.

8. Dachande

News Credits:
    Demon Souls was pretty sparse with bonfires, though I liked the "safe zone" in that one and the ability to store souls.
    My biggest memory of that game:
    My girlfriend's step dad bought it for her for Christmas when it came out, knowing she likes challenges and horror themes. There was little no no real guidance for it and it just threw you into the game. She started going across the first bridge and died almost immediately. It was humorous because she was just getting used to the controls and didn't have a grasp of it yet. She tried again, and died again. Then again. Then again, each time starting back at the first bonfire.
    She had finally made it to the other side of the bridge and up the stairs with the next bonfire in sight, then died. When it restarted back at the first bonfire she went into a cursing fit that would have made Eddie Murphy blush.

• Like Like x 1
  9. maz25

maz25 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Yep, I logged over 900 hours of online DeS. So much fun when the servers functioned properly. With a friend and Soulsuck, it was a great way to try different builds - I referred to it as my "soul bank". When blue-ing and messing around with stats (and duping weapons;) ), I'd store my souls higher up in the Nexus and just go back to reclaim.

Damn, a remastered DeS w/dedicated servers would just be fantastic.

10. shogun221

shogun221 timewaster extraordinaire

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Still at it with my first DS2:SOTFS playthrough. Fume Knight vanquished, just finished the Havel Trio with two summons (a bit sore on that, as I'm playing offline and it was the first boss in the game I didn't solo). Turning my attention back to Elana and Sinh.

I'm getting the sense that most people don't do the DLC before beating the main game. The gauntlets in Iron Passage and Cave of the Dead that preceded the bossfights can definitely go off themselves. I don't recall this being an issue in the first game....having to beat your way through ten minutes of enemies to earn a 30 second attempt at a boss that wrecks you.

While I think this is true to some extent, DS2 still accommodates a "bash head against wall to win" strategy, with its de-spawning enemies. Granted, the limits to leveling in DS2 mean you're SOL with the bosses if you can't hack it with them, but there are definitely ways to progress that don't involve skill.

• Like Like x 1
  11. ShinGi

ShinGi Well-Known Member

Just got the Lordvessel. Ornstein and Smoug was quite the boss fight, probably my favorite one so far in the game

• Like Like x 1
  12. Dachande

News Credits:
    My daughter asked for a Switch for Christmas, so we'll probably get Dark Souls for that as well.
    Anyone else play it on the Switch, and if so, how does it run?

13. NotRamjet97

NotRamjet97 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Comes out on Friday (though there maybe some previews of it and such).

14. Dachande

News Credits:
    Oops, didn't know it was a pre-order. I saw it on the shelf at Target and figured it was available.

15. Fuzz

Fuzz Garbage Pail Kid

Just be aware that cloud save is disabled for this version.

16. Drangleic

Drangleic Banned

I don't touch the DLC until I beat it. All 3 are pretty difficult, even on original play through. I'm level 223 and still can die fairly easily. And the final bosses have destroyed my effigy stockpile. To the point where I gave up on 2 of them.

Maybe I just suck.

17. eyeballkid

eyeballkid Old

News Credits:
    Playing this on switch! It’s awesome! Lots of people online, great server, I just beat the gargoyles. Pro controller works perfectly! If you haven’t played it yet it’s a must.

• Like Like x 1
  18. NotRamjet97

NotRamjet97 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Not...quite feeling this game, but... am I alone or, does this happen to anyone else? When you "pause to sleep" on Switch, the game says "you disconnected from the server" and just starts you back at the main menu? Did they patch that out?

19. CyberBlade507

CyberBlade507 Well-Known Member

I'm pretty sure the Dark Souls games are one of the "you can't pause, ever" type. The game is always running if it's open, even in the Home menu. It was like this in Demon's Souls where going to the Playstation menu didn't actually pause/stop the game. I've played hardwired on Switch without that happening, but WiFi always ends up with the situation described. I've also noticed things like the poison meter going down or stamina refilling suddenly if I go into and out of the Home screen (usually to check the time) right after finishing up with the last enemy in an area.

• Like Like x 2
  20. Dachande

News Credits:
    I you could pause, it wouldn't be Dark Souls.