Dark of the Moon : Wrecker : Top Spin (high-res images)

Discussion in 'Transformers Feedback & Reviews' started by frenzyrumble, Feb 24, 2011.

1. Katamari Prime

Katamari Prime Hassan Chop!

With a little work, he could have a desert hat like Ani. Blitzwing.

2. Shmoptimus Prime

Shmoptimus Prime Za Warudo!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Instagram:
    That's an awesome argument you've got there. "It's obviously what I think it is!"

I will wait til I get to actually know something about the actual character before I judge it. However, I guess you'd rather judget this book by it's cover.

3. captaingambit

captaingambit Urban Explorer/Toy Addict

DOTM Deluxe Wrecker TOPSPIN

EDIT: Thank you to the moderators for adding my post to the correct thread. I could not find it earlier.

Anyways, I got this toy at Target on the way to work today. Some Targets are breaking street dates a little early and I was lucky enough to snag deluxe Barricade and Topspin. Transformers toys are cool at work, right? Right? Heeheehee....

Okay, so I now have this guy opened up, fiddled with, and transformed here at my desk...

Here are my thoughts...

Robot Mode: Interesting... Very poseable with lots of joints, but some of the joints are too loose while others are really tight. The head is on a ball joint which is nice, and it's on a neck piece which looks like it has an extra hinge above the transformation joint, but the hinge is false (it's just one sculpted piece instead of two). Makes me wonder if it was originally supposed to be hinged but got changed for budget reasons.

The head is odd. I hate the mullet look. If I squint at it a certain way it looks like a samurai helmet, but the lack of a head crest breaks the illusion and just shows how truly a mullet it is.

The legs are pretty much the entire sides of the car, but because of the way they fold up, it really works out nicely. I love his feet, which are on ball joints. I like the look of the wheels at his feet (probably the only recurring movie design aesthetic I truly like) but they kind of make it difficult to balance Topspin when he's standing. Mine also had an assembly error. The pelvis was backwards compared to the legs. It was an easy fix though. I just popped the legs off and swapped them. The knees are loose too, adding to the instability of standing in robot mode. In general though, the legs are cool enough.

The arms are nice enough. The transformation hings between the body and the arms are pretty loose though and the bicep swivels are really tight, making posing the arms a bit of a hassle. I like the hand clamps and I love the 5mm peg holes in his forearms where you can plug in weapons. I wish he had more than one peg hole per arm though, since he has four guns. He has hands sculpted inside the clamps too, so at least cannonically the robot has regular hands.

I like the torso sculpt too. The mech detail is very nice.

Topspin has a backpack with most of the entire car top folded and broken into bits hanging off it. It's not terrible, but there is no obvious way to position it to look right. And the ball joints the roof halves are on are very loose, causing it to fall off during transformation. :-/

Transformation to robot is easy. Transformation back to car requires some panel massaging, but isn't as bad as some toys.

Car mode is pretty cool. I'm not a fan of nascar racing so the lack of "regular" car mode doesn't bother me. Comparing the toy to pictures of the movie car shows that Topspin is pretty film accurate. His size is kind of small though. Like the other deluxe cars in this toy line, Topspin is smaller than average deluxe cars, almost 3/4 the normal size for a deluxe (probably due to the mech tech accessory inclusion cutting into the budget). He's lacking a LOT of paint detailing though. The headlights, most of the side pipes and other bits are left unpainted blue, which looks kidn of bad. A little hand painting can fix that though. No big deal. The vehicle mode is very aggressive. I love all the guns. Four removable pistol type guns which can be used with other transformers. I love it when Transformers come with so many extra accessories like this. It's very cool.

The Mech Tech weapon is less exciting . It's a gun that turns into a grabbing clamp like Topspin's hands. Kind of dull, but I love that these new Mech Tech accessories don't hinder the main toy like past line-wide gimmicks have.

All in all, I have to say I kind of dig Topspin. He has a lot of faults mostly owed to plastic tolerances and his lack of paint kind of sucks. But all in all I like the toy. Any blue autobot car with attachable guns is an instant win in my book.

Last edited: May 11, 2011
  4. ThinkTank Customs

ThinkTank Customs TFW2005-Citizen

News Credits:
    there will be no deluxe leadfoot in the first lineup, maybe in wave 5 or 6

5. toboggan

toboggan Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I got Topspin today and I'm really enamored with him. Easily the best of the DOTM deluxes so far. Of course, all's else I got is Crankcase and Roadbuster, but I'd say this one was knocked out of the park.

All of the 5mm guns are great to have and the kibble weapon pods look really cool. Good articulation and a way cool vehicle mode. The MechTech is unobtrusive and looks pretty neat too. All it needs is more c-clip spaces. Makes me wish Roadbuster could have been handled this well.

I really hope they're able to make Leadfoot look as good as this guy, if they ever get around to him.

6. Ace Convoy

Ace Convoy Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I just ordered one on Amazon. I leaving out in half an hour to look for roadbuster and Voyager Ironhide :) 

The I'm done for the next few months

...forget Ironhide I'll probably get crankcase to save money

7. Quixote_Prime

Quixote_Prime is missed.

News Credits:
    Wish the hands were more distinguishable from the claws.

Also, what is up with the bio/tech spec difference? If these Wrecker guys are engineers, why does their intelligence and skill get the shaft?

8. SwindlesShop

SwindlesShop Kenny Power's drug dealer

News Credits:
    Calm down it's a robot geez -_-

9. My03Tundra

My03Tundra LOVES TO EDIT POSTS!!

Ebay:
    I picked up Topspin, and looking at his Mechtech weapon, I realized something. It shouldn't be some sort of CLAMP but the clamps should be reversed (and possibly could) to be a crossbow gun! That way, it could be more.

10. Ace Convoy

Ace Convoy Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Good thing I ordered topspin cause I didn't see him.

11. Grimlock_13

Grimlock_13 Currently facepalming at your post

News Credits:
    Easily the best of the first two Deluxe waves that I picked up. Fun, but not too difficult transformation, LOADS of articulation and lots of details. I really like this guy a lot!

12. ElDiablo

ElDiablo Mr. Pick a Booger at Your Wake

Same here. I've TopSpin, Roadbuster, and Jolt. Topspin is definitely the stand-out.

13. clonemanager

clonemanager Hunter

News Credits:
    Pictures are almost always better than words to describe this guy... dotM Topspin.

In term of Articulation... this guy is way above any TF made up to date... It is a new benchmark for the TF.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Oh yeah, i removed the back shoulders armor/weapons... for these pictures...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Balancing /posing is easier... plus we are talking about melee attack...here.
    High kick !!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Thanks to its hinges and ball joints hip, and double knee, ball joint ankle.
    [​IMG]

14. mynamehere

mynamehere Well-Known Member

I think his head looks like a bunny with floppy ears, lol. It's those weird "teeth" he has, and his nose area above the teeth looks like a bunny nose.

Anyways that's not a mullet, it's just long robo-hair. Mullets are only long in the back, Topspin's "hair" is long on the sides so it ain't a mullet.

15. Depthcharge

Depthcharge Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I think it looks more like cornrows than a mullet.

16. My03Tundra

My03Tundra LOVES TO EDIT POSTS!!

Ebay:
    He is in a competition with Crankcase as to who has the better dreadlocks. I think Crankcase has better dreads, but don't tell Topspin!

17. mynamehere

mynamehere Well-Known Member

Cornrows are not the same as dreads, dreads are more bob marley and cornrows are more rick james, bitch. lol

Topspin is a nascar-themed bot, so its prob neither cornrows or dreads. I think its just long robo-hair. Leadfoot looks to have a robo-beard.

18. PlanckEpoch

PlanckEpoch Crossdresser Toy Collector

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    This figure is great. The only thing that keeps me from marking it as perfect is a swivel on the thigh! It's so perfect in ever other regard except for that...so close Hasbro, so very close.

I'm regretting getting Roadbuster...but Topspin really hit a home run with me. The mech tech isn't so bad. Still pretty stupid considered what he already has built in, but at least it isn't big and obnoxious.

19. NGW

NGW Rawr

News Credits:
    Picked this guy alongside Roadbuster today. Not sure which I prefer. There's definitely more going on with Topspin, he's teched out, covered in guns in both modes, lot more paint detailing, more complex transformation, etc.

I really like the vehicle mode here, I love the look of the Wreckers covered in weapons and armor, it just looks badass.

Transformation is pretty complex, I LOVE how is legs transform.

Robot mode is pretty cool. Nice detailing, cool design, plenty of places to peg on various weapons (I have his guns attached to his big ol' shoulder cannon pieces). Speaking of...I both like and dislike his weapon pack. It's really cool and has places to attach even more firepower, but it is kinda heavy and I worry about it making him harder to pose and balance and it getting loose over time.

Still a great figure though.

20. jaws

jaws Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Just transformed him last night, I am diggin the Rick James 'bot, bitches! Bought 2, 1 for each mode. Attack NASCAR mode rocks, there's a way to handle road rage or cheatin' competitors.