Dark Glass Fan Animation Project Auditions Results

Discussion in 'Transformers Video Discussion' started by MaxLinden, Jan 31, 2011.

1. MaxLinden

MaxLinden Deceptipunk

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    YouTube (Legacy):
  2. Hobbes-timus Prime

Hobbes-timus Prime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Wow, that's some spot on work. Nice job, all.

3. ssjkazer

ssjkazer mr dyslexia

News Credits:
    wait there makeing a fan verson of beast wars tieing up the lose ends i guess beast mechines was good just did have the beast wars feel

4. guard convoy

guard convoy The Big Daddy

News Credits:
    while some of the voices are good, most are pretty terrible....

5. Chris McFeely

Chris McFeely Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Hey! One of those names is like my name! :)  This is my first time being a part of a fan voice-acting project, and I'm really looking forward to it!

For those that may not know what "Dark Glass" is, check this out.

6. XxGeck0xX

XxGeck0xX デストロン 情報

News Credits:
    OMFG this is gonna be awesome, most of the voices were good; however, some needed some work. Amazing animation and this is bringing my childhood back :) 

7. Black Oracle

Black Oracle Black Convoy's Dark Angel

News Credits:
    Well done on getting to be Dinobot again, Chris! I've seen your Auto Assembly 2009 script reading performance on Youtube and thought you were a spot-on Dinobot! If I'd heard about this project earlier, I might have tried out for Blackarachnia who I got the chance to voice at last year's AA script reading. :D 

And thanks for the info. link on Dark Glass. I was never aware of it before. Looks like it could have been a good BW ep.

8. Obsidian X

Obsidian X Dork of the moon

I remember reading the comic-adaption of this story a few years ago (fan-made comic) and liking it.
    Seems promising.

9. XSilverboltX

XSilverboltX Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Thanks for posting this here, Max! Cypherplex just remembered he used to have an account on this board. It's an OLD screen name, but it still works.

Thanks. Spot on is what we aim for, in all aspects of the project. Voices are always tricky, but this is more than I'd hoped for :) 

We're not really trying to tie up any loose ends, we're just trying to provide context for a few of them. The most obvious of which is Dinobot II's memories of the original Dinobot in "Nemesis, part 2".

And we're gonna do like most season 3 episodes, which is to foreshadow a lot of things that are coming up in the next few episodes.

And we're tossing a bit of fangasm in there too. It's already been spoiled on TFCog, but I'm not gonna repeat it :) 

Well... I guess you're the exception that confirms the rule. Thanks for commenting :) 

For the record, no one is "terrible" in there. We kinda left the really terrible stuff on the side and didn't listen to it more than we had to. It happens. Not everyone can voice act, and most people that can do voices can't either.

So, really, for something done by fans who are all relative amateurs (OK, we did sneak a couple pros in there), this is pretty fantastic.

And there's the usual fall back of: if you can do better.... why haven't you done so? :) 

Nice to meet you, Chris! I promise that Dinobot will move a lot better than he did in this audition reveal. You might not see the glitches, but I do :) 

We'll make you look good! Well... if looking like Dinobot can be considered "good" :) 

That's one of the things about auditions: the actors don't really know what we're looking for, so they do their darned best and we do the rest. The full project will have actual live direction for the actors, using Skype as a proxy so we can get an "ensemble" feel for the actors available.

So, odds are the performances will be a lot more natural. Plus, they'll have the voice director around to tell them when something isn't right, which improves their odds of having a good delivery :) 

And, my teenhood salutes your childhood :) 

Again, appologies on not spreading this around as much as I should have. I hadn't really realized that this project WOULD happen. I don't like announcing things until something solid is there.

Odds are we will pull off another project as well, after this one. Considering how much work went in all of this, it would be silly not to take advantage of all the ... redeco potential.

Besides, if the "Wreckers" story got an ending, "Primeval Dawn" deserves one as well (oh boy... that's the sound of my getting ahead of myself!)

10. XSilverboltX

Ebay:
    Glad you read it! That story is actually the basis of ours since, at the time I started this project, it was as close to an interpretation of "Dark Glass" as I could find.

One of these days, I'd like to get a chance to talk to those guys and find out what happened to their "Genome Studios". They've been a great inspiration.

Incidently, I still have the comic if anyone wants to know about it. :) 

DarkGlass.zip - File Shared from Box.net - Free Online File Storage

11. OptimusSolo

OptimusSolo Tournament Master

News Credits:
    Well hopefully you aren't talking about mine :)  Did the best I could and glad you are in the minority so far as far as people not liking the voice work. I was amazed by many of my fellow cast mates! I definitely have a lot of work to do to reach their level!

12. Black Oracle

Black Oracle Black Convoy's Dark Angel

News Credits:
    I actually thought all the voices did a decent job of at least nailing the tone or the manner of the characters' voices.

It certainly looks like a lot of work is going into this. I can only salute you and everyone else involved for that, Mr. Silverbolt! I look forward to checking out the final product.

If you do work on any other projects like this in future, be sure to advertise them here. I know there's always plenty of folk here that would love to audition for voices! A "Primeval Dawn" project sounds interesting.

13. XSilverboltX

Ebay:
    I keep forgetting to update you guys on this project!

=============
    Rampage model is complete, awaiting texture:

[​IMG]

Optimus Primal's model is fully textured and rigged:
    [​IMG]

Walk Cycle:
    YouTube - Optimus Primal Walk Cycle Test

Transformation Test (unrequired for project, but it was fun):
    YouTube - Optimus Primal Transformation Test

Obvious Primal Prime redeco (and opening the door to a possible "Primeval Dawn" animation....)
    [​IMG]

14. XSilverboltX

Ebay:
    Been a while since the project had any work done on it, but here's a bit of an update:

Rattrap is entering final texturing and rigging. As the main character for the project, he kind of needs it. Daniel Ross' lines are in as well, can't wait to get to work on the animation!

[​IMG]

And this came in this morning from Wishmaster's end :) 

[​IMG]

15. spiritprime

spiritprime Dudes, I'm a girl!

News Credits:
    This project is certainly turning out to be awsome! Can't wait for the finishing touches. ^^

16. Overlord Balder

Overlord Balder Voices Slugslinger!

I fucking hate myself for not being part of this project.

This project looks the CGI incarnation of the word "AWESOMENESS", I'll look forward to.

17. XSilverboltX

Ebay:
  18. spiritprime

spiritprime Dudes, I'm a girl!

News Credits:
    Sweet mother of Jesus! Yays for Rattrap and your work! Well done!

19. wishmasterInRly

wishmasterInRly Member

If you don't know it, I am who is making most of the characters,

an I am currently improving XSilverboltX's model of Dinobot

[​IMG]

20. darksage78

darksage78 Maximal

Pretty slick work, the voices are practically spot on. From the renders so far Megatron's teeth seem a bit weird I can't put my finger on it though. And Depth Charge's head seems a bit wide. But other than that everything looks great! Can't wait to see the premiere =D