Damn Street Dates!

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Dinobot Nuva, May 8, 2009.

1. Angelwave

Angelwave Physical Maintenance.....

News Credits:
    That most of the time is Manager's Discretion though. It is technically property of the store.

You know.....I really really wish that Hasbro had not sent these out early, just because a few that cannot read a sticker on a box, has started all of this.

2. thenatureboywoo

thenatureboywoo Veteran

News Credits:
    I sure hope we get more threads of people complaining they went to walmart, found ROTF stuff, then couldn't purchase it. Yes, we all know the story.

3. Blitzwing256

Blitzwing256 Triple changer

this policy is the same for target and walmart and most retailers

"we have the right to refuse sale to anyone"
    shopping in our stores is a privlage not a right.

just wait 2 weeks for your mother fucking toys people, seriously

4. Ethereal

Ethereal A Sad Flareon

Kind of.

If you point out the endcap/display explicitly says your item is $19.99, and it rings up as $29.99, then good customer service would dictate they give you the discounted price. If your $29.99 item was mixed in with other stuff, that's not their problem.

For this, I think its ridiculous on Wal-Mart (or insert another big, heartless corporation here) to put this stuff out, but I think its just as silly for us to fuss about it.

5. Harbinger

Harbinger ecnayonnA

thats why i said bluff, they dont have to sell you anything if they dont want to. plus they can get into trouble form Hasbro too if not careful, besides in this case its not like you wont be able to get them ever again, give it acouple of weeks .

6. Optimus Sledge

Optimus Sledge Yar har fiddle di dee

I really enjoy the indignation people manage to bring to a story of a shop refusing to sell them something they knew shouldn't be on sale yet.

7. Dinobot Nuva

Dinobot Nuva Johnny 3 Tears Veteran

News Credits:
    I love this board just because of how ridiculous the threads get. It's like a fine whine.

8. HAILTHEFALLEN

HAILTHEFALLEN Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    get you a universe figure, go through a self checkout and ring up the universe for that many items and buy the universe for safety,,then viola...instant purchase. alarms do not go off and the reciept says, TRA 432324252 SOMETHING, and the people greeter is to none the wiser. thats how i done it!

9. Omnius

Omnius Guest

News Credits:
    In the case of this thread, it started at post #1.

10. Maverick Hunter Christian

Maverick Hunter Christian Choke on that, causality!

News Credits:
    These figures are gonna be on the shelves for like... forever. No need to rush it.

11. Optimatron

Optimatron Autobot

When are the people LUCKY enough to find these figures at a Walmart (that has self-checkout) BEFORE street date gonna learn?

Come on people start thinking on your feet....take a corresponding ANIMATED/UNIVERSE size class with you to self check out...and use that SKU to ring up and pay for the figure.

Sheesh...everyone who has had the priveledge to come across these early at Walmart, and ended up with nothing, deserves just that....NOTHING untill 5/30/2009

Unless of course, your local Walmarts don't have self-checkout...and then...well I must say...that sucks and I'm sorry. That is just a big tease.

Well...someone already beat me to this point. Good to know someone out there has come to this conclusion as well.

Last edited: May 8, 2009
  12. TranstechCat

TranstechCat Cybernetic Chimpanzee

That's why I cut the UPC off of the box Animated Waspinator came in, and now carry it in my pocket whenever I go to Walmart (at least until the one I want will become "officially purchasable"...)

"What's this?! ROTF Soundwave?!" *pulls out waspy's barcode and slaps it on, then listens for the sweet-sweet 'BOOP' of the street date kissing my a--*

Course, I haven't seen Soundwave yet. But I'm prepared just in case...

13. Dinobot Nuva

Dinobot Nuva Johnny 3 Tears Veteran

News Credits:
    Then I'm doing my part!

ALSO: Optimatron, my Walmart (despite being only 3 years old) still hasn't tossed in self checkouts, but I'll keep that in mind if I find some in the Springs.

14. barrelks

barrelks Captain Funtastic

News Credits:
    Yea, I am not sure how much trouble they can get into selling them, but from the sound of it, it must be pretty significant. I will have to talk to my Walmart manager buddy next time I see him. I am guessing it is a fine and a severe ass-chewing of management (rightly or wrongly). I can wait a few more weeks. Having worked retail, it is not worth my time or theirs to argue too much (not that I have seen posts of too many of us argueing, which says something for the greater transformers community).

My favorite is "The customer is always right". I had a guy at the Home Depot demand that I sell him a $28 piece of plywood for $3 because the grocery stores place prices under the product and Home Depot prices lumber above the product (product below it was $3). I still remember him saying "You seriously arn't gonna give this for $3? But the customer is always right." Glad to see that the vast majority of us have a bit more common sense, even though it is pretty bad business for them to shelf these things this early.

15. Viper08

Viper08 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    You're telling me man, look at this thread I started a couple of days ago, i managed to find ALL of the ROTF figure (deluxes and voyager) and NOTHING:

http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/trans...4-i-had-rotf-starscream-optimus-my-hands.html

16. _Galvatron_

_Galvatron_ Emperor of Destruction

This is PURE win. Absolutley PURE win. How I lol'd.

17. AnimatedFan

AnimatedFan Banned

You are correct sir.

See below

And because of this implemented rule, they have successfully circumvented the whole "Oh noes! This is false advertising, you have to sell it to me now because you made it available by putting it on the shelves!" issue. No ifs, ands, or buts about it. Sure, you can involve the authorities over something as silly as this, but they'll be quick to point out the rule, and your chance to win goes bye bye. They might tell the retailer to be smarter about their stocking procedures, but you're the one who will lose out folks.

And that's ILLEGAL. Sure, you're paying for one item, and the other never leaves the store. However, you've just told their system that the item had, in fact, been sold when it hasn't, so not only are they looking at an extra item they shouldn't have, but they're missing an item they should have, and they now have money that doesn't match the sale. It's FRAUD.

*points to the response above this* It's ILLEGAL, because it's FRAUD.

There's nothing win about it. It ends up affecting US in the long run. Why should you or I have to pay more because some jackhole forced a sale and violated their rules?

No win. Just loads and loads of massive fail.

18. Sam's_Bee

Sam's_Bee College Autobot

What I don't get is the "don't sell" slapped on the boxes yet they still keep making it to the sales floor in some areas. I worked as a stocker at Mervyns unloading truck, if any of us had been that brainless we would have been bitched out.

Who's not checking? I can wait a few more weeks, no sense in getting anyone in trouble.

19. TranstechCat

TranstechCat Cybernetic Chimpanzee

Uh, I believe the intent was to use a bot of the same size class, and therefore the same price.

How does that equal them not having money that matches the sale? If I scan up a $12.88 deluxe instead of a $22.99 voyager, then THAT would equal fraud/theft/whatever... but scanning a $12.88 deluxe and then walking out with a $12.88 deluxe equals purchasing a toy at the price they're asking for...

So tell me, how does that end up causing us to "pay more" later?

20. barrelks

barrelks Captain Funtastic

News Credits:
    ^There is something called shrink that I am sure you have heard of. There is also something called swell which is almost as bad. Yes, the store gets the correct amount of money, but most retailers spend a lot of time tracking down the cause of the shrink or swell, and why it occurred. At the same time, their computer will say that they need to order more of X product, when there is actually a lot of X product in stock, because people have been ringing it up and taking Y product. So if this swell is not caught early enough (inventory isn't taken too often, and employees don't look as much for swell), you have poor stock levels all over the place.

It is dumb that a few stores set up the displays 3-4 weeks before the date (and they should take some of the blame), but messed up stock levels are gonna cause all kinds of problems at these stores where this swapping is occurring. If animated (or whatever figure you all are scanning) continues during the movie, you are gonna see these stores having an abundance of animated on the shelf and hardly any ROTF figures because the computer is going to tell them to buy more animated cause it is selling like wildfire.

It may seem like a simple fix, but stores don't allocate many resources to discovering shrink/swell and it is usually more of a side job. Now you may say that they should hire more employees and allocate more resources to finding shrink/well, fine, but then we pay more at the checkstand to cover these costs. So we all lose in the end. But you got your toy 3 weeks early, neat.