Dad makes kid smash XBox

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by AoE, May 16, 2015.

1. gregles

gregles quintesson

In my experience good grades are not always a reflection on how intelligent someone is but can often be about whever someone's home life is positive, hard working and nurturing of their talent and abilities so in many ways the father is likely more to blame here than the kid in my opinion.

If the poorly written article is a fair representation of what happened I would say the dads behaviour shows worry signs of sadism with the immature and undisciplined attempts to further humiliate his child by posting it online. Sadists often come up with all sorts of silly justifications claiming their cruelty is doing more than just pleasing themselves and is supposedly serving a positive outcome. Hope this kid already has some other positive supportive figures in his life or eventually finds them.

2. power3921

power3921 Well-Known Member

First off, that's a freaking waste of money! Just make the kid sell them, not smash them. Second, unless the poor grades were because of a bunch of assignments that were missing, three weeks isn't really enough time for a major change in grades. That tends to happen more from grading period to grading period, not week to week.

3. Primal_Grimlock

Primal_Grimlock Gone because someone had their cat declawed. Grr.

The Dailt Mail is clearly running short of important stuff to report on.

4. Sir Spamsalot

Sir Spamsalot Well-Known Member

You see, this is what causes kids to grow up with problems.

What does this teach him? If he fails a bit he has to destroy his own stuff? Or that his family would rather a kid have good grades in an already broken education system than a happy child?

Sheesh. This Father is a useless joke.

5. thenatureboywoo

thenatureboywoo Veteran

News Credits:
    I am supposed to be enraged but I am not. The video reeks of dad wanting a viral video. Look at me Internet! I need attention!

6. Rattrap Primal

Rattrap Primal Geek Overlord, Botbot Collector

I hate to see what happens if he get expelled, what, the kid will have to find a place to live on his own?…….this is therapy waiting to happen

7. Waverider

Waverider Supreme Dude

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    How old are some of you slamming the dad. Being a gamer and a parent, I would not smash a perfectly good console. I see things at different angles. Like most of the stuff being posted have probably have been done and the father have had to go through extreme measures. Some lids need it to learn a lesson. Then again who knows the full story. The article is poorly written.

I think most of the negative comments are grom gamers and teenagers.

8. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    That is a very good point you raised here gregles.

9. MTME

MTME Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    especially since he titled the video himself Good parenting

10. Slingshot

Slingshot Back In the Game

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Why is everyone mortified about this? It's not that disturbing.
    It's happened to me and some of my tf's before.

11. Switch625

Switch625 "Up, up, and away!"

1) the Dad wasted a lot of money. He could have just taken them away or, as a last resort, sold them.
    2) the kid needs to take some responsibility for his poor schoolwork. Yes, the parents should have gotten involved sooner, but at the end of the day, the parents aren't the ones in school. In my day, if you got bad grades, you worked your butt off until you were back on track.
    3) the kid's home life can't be too bad - he has both an XBox 360 and an XBox One.
    4) today's kids need to learn that privileges have to be earned, not given away freely.
    5) lots of blame to go around in this story.

12. strangeguy32000

strangeguy32000 Well-Known Member

I can almost bet the 360 was a junker anyway. 360s only came in white on earlier models and the earlier 360 models were infamous for their widespread hardware defects.

13. SCPrime

SCPrime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Problem is not so much the smashing, but that dad video taped it and posted online. Only 2 possible reasons for that. 1. To shame your kid. 2. To pat yourself on the back and show the world what a great father you are (in your mind). Neither reason are good reasons.

14. Cal

Cal Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Maybe the kid posted it online to show what a horrible dad his father is. :p 

15. femmebotfangirl

femmebotfangirl Banned

Yeah, because nothing teaches kids responsibility like psychological abuse. I hope someone sics child services on the creep.

16. Fuzz

Fuzz Garbage Pail Kid

I didn't watch the video, but I gotta admit, sometimes I do feel like smashing the electronics in the house. It's more than a little annoying when your son has daily chores that he forgets to do on a regular basis, yet he never forgets to jump online and play video games with his friends every night, or lay around on the couch fiddling around on his iPhone for hours.

The only thing keeping me from said smashing is the fact I paid for all of it.

17. Cracka J

Cracka J judas in my mind TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Dad could have just hid the systems at his work or something if he didn't want his kid playing and spending more time on schoolwork. My parents didn't do this in particular with games, but if me and sis were fighting over something, they used to take it away and hide it all the time. Gradually give things back in small portions as their situations improved (grades go back up).

Yeah only point to the smashing was the viral video. Not really much more.

18. soymonk

soymonk Mathematical!

News Credits:
    I see nothing wrong with the dad's approach. I probably would have sold them so I could have made some money back though (or donated them).

3 weeks definitely isn't enough time to improve your grades though, but we don't know the whole story. As someone else mentioned, the kid could have been multiple chances in the past.

Psychological trauma? Please. It's just a bunch of videogames. A kid at his age should be focusing on his studies.

19. seali_me

seali_me RIP January 2018

My dad got fed up of my bro and I fighting all the time, to our surprise, he gave us each a pair of old boxing gloves and just said "After all the spanking both of you got throughout the years... You guys can handle 12 rounds and won't even break a sweat. ". He didn't even blink saying it. We just stood there in silence. We were 8 and 6 respectively at the time. That was the last fight.

20. Fallout

Fallout Banned

News Credits:
    the kind of person who smashes a video console and curses out his child on video for the world to see is the kind of person with abusive tendencies.