Cyberverse warrior starscream (Vic viper alt mode)

Discussion in 'Transformers Feedback & Reviews' started by phoenixliger, Mar 6, 2020.

1. phoenixliger

phoenixliger Ogre

20200306_173651.jpg 20200306_173616.jpg 20200306_173609.jpg Pick this guy up at my local Walmart for 12 plus change. First off I got to say I've never collected a single cyberverse figure except for the Jetfire that came with the little tank. My experience with this line has been slim well I've seen plenty of the figures on the shelves I've never had any inclination of picking one up. Well and behold New York Toy Fair came and went and one of the figures they showed off was a star screen that turned into what I could do only see as the Vic Viper from the gradius games. With my curiosity piqued I went in search for earth rise figures while keeping my eye out for the one cyberverse figure that I had piqued my interest and lo and behold today I found him.

Robot mode is what you would expect from the cyberverse line Hollow legs with limited articulation but surprisingly good paint apps. The figure is molding in four separate colors grey red blue and clear Orange the clear orange being used as both the actual vehicle mode cockpit as well as the alt mode cockpit as well which is a nice touch since most figures just paint the cockpit on the chest. The figure has Bends at the hip and knee the shoulder and elbow and the head swivels.

All mode is where he both shines and fails. He does a great job looking like the Vic Viper from gradius with two large cannons slung under each wing the only thing he's missing is the large fin in the middle towards the back. The legs do a decent job looking like the thrusters for the ship but unfortunately the upper thighs sit directly behind the cockpit and is a bit unsightly. Where the alt mode fails most is that the underside of the ship is actually thicker than the top part of the ship. The ship looks great at any angle that you're looking from the top but as soon as you can see the bottom it destroys the illusion.

Last thing to talk about is the gimmick by pressing the cockpit to the back of Starscream brings both of his cannons forward unfortunately it does not bring up his arm so it looks kind of goofy unless you already have his arms forward. It definitely doesn't hurt to figure but it doesn't help it either . I got to say though if I was a kid I would probably love this figure as an adult I admire it for what it was trying to do.

Sorry if this review is a bit wordy.
    I'm at the beach doing this review on my phone . When's sunset hits I'll go ahead and take a couple more pictures of the Vic Viper mode cruising through the Florida's atmosphere during sunset 20200306_173705.jpg

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 9
  2. Bumblejazz

Bumblejazz Yes

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    He's a pretty fun figure
    20200306_152455.jpg

• Like Like x 6
  3. phoenixliger

phoenixliger Ogre

20200306_183654.jpg

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 6
  4. cybernaut

cybernaut Well-Known Member

While i don't have this in hand, Me thinks this does better than the original warrior Starscream... the articulation seems to be better laid out and the white is a lot better than that horrible gray plastic that the first warrior class was made out of.

jya na!

• Like Like x 2
  5. Pravus Prime

Pravus Prime Wields Mjolnir!

News Credits:
    If I see this, I'll probably get it, I just like that jet mode.

• Like Like x 4
  6. Paladin

Paladin Have Zord, Will Travel

News Credits:
    Detroit- It's a shithole full of people who steal
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    the laser positioning is just weirding me out. Why are they mounted to the wings???

7. ckhtiger

ckhtiger old skool fool

News Credits:

I'm new to this series. Are those the deluxe Megatron and Shockwave figures that come with the BAF pieces?

8. Bumblejazz

Bumblejazz Yes

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    yep!

• Like Like x 1
  9. ckhtiger

ckhtiger old skool fool

News Credits:

Can you help me out with one more thing? I'm having trouble figuring out the size classes. What's the difference between Warrior and Deluxe?

10. Bumblejazz

Bumblejazz Yes

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    Warriors are Deluxe size, but are built around gimmicks. The deluxes are regular Transformers figures, just transforming action figures with no gimmicks.

• Like Like x 1
  11. SoundwaveSuperior

SoundwaveSuperior "The Scourge of the Sky" (She/They)

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Custom URL):
    Tumblr:
    The Deluxes also have better articulation and are typically more show-accurate.

12. ckhtiger

ckhtiger old skool fool

News Credits:
    Thanks for your help guys! Do we think that we're pretty much done seeing new figures for this line? I'm wondering if I should bite the bullet and buy some of the Warriors that don't have deluxe's, like windblade, slipstream, and soundwave.

13. 1BLD

1BLD Well-Known Member

With the show wrapping up, anything beyond the known 8 deluxes would be a surprise. We've probably seen the entire cyberverse line at this point.

• Like Like x 2
  14. ckhtiger

ckhtiger old skool fool

News Credits:
    So these with the build a figure are like the final hurrah, huh? Shoot.

15. 1BLD

1BLD Well-Known Member

Seems like it. I did quite like the deluxe Bumblebee, even if I couldn't believe that he cost me more than the immeasurably more complex SS49 Camaro Bee who came out at the same time. Two completely different philosophies driving two ostensibly comparable products.

I don't mind that 90% of Cyberverse was gimmicky stuff, it's for kids after all, and a well executed gimmick can have way more value to that audience than elbows or knees.

But it would have been nice if the deluxe line had started a year earlier, given how much of the show was predicated on increasingly obscure references designed to buy the love of older viewers. Kids don't know or care about where Rack'n'Ruin came from, they're explicitly there to get the attention of fans who liked the Marvel UK comics. And once you have that attention, sell those guys a suitable toy.

16. Pravus Prime

News Credits:
    While I found Hammerbyte at my grocery store, I wasn't going to hunt for Starscream, so I added him to an order from Amazon and cut out having to wonder if I'd ever see it.

I find myself really liking this figure in some odd ways; I love the alt mode, the gimmick (which I'd always gladly sacrifice for a better figure overall) isn't that bad, and I actually like the aesthetics of the robot mode. As a figure though, I find myself liking Hammerbyte more.

• Like Like x 1
  17. cybernaut

cybernaut Well-Known Member

Possibly worked better for the gimmick... the spring-loaded bits appear to require a solid housing, instead of the arms which are separate parts from the main body shell.

jya na!

18. openchallenge

openchallenge It's own reward

I use him as a stand in with the Deluxe figures and it isn't a perfect fit but way better than not having Starscream in the group.

Might consider more stand ins from warrior, energon armor, or one step. especially if I find them cheap.

CVWRIORSTARSCREAM2002.JPG CVWRIORSTARSCREAM2001.JPG CVDLXSHOCKWAVE2002.JPG

Last edited: May 13, 2020
    • Like Like x 2
  19. Pravus Prime

News Credits:
    I think this is the most fun I've had with a Starscream since Energon.

Cyberverse Starscream - Flight Stand.jpg Cyberverse Starscream Active.jpg

• Like Like x 2
  20. Judgement prime

Judgement prime Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Hey. Did you see the message I sent you?