Cyberverse Soundwave 1-Step In-Hand comparison photos

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by Shattered Trousers, Jul 6, 2018.

1. MrSoundmeister

MrSoundmeister Bang,Bang Boom!

In that case. I wouldn't mind them also redecoing the R.I.D Warriors.

2. Autoboty

Autoboty Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I really like the head deco on this one. It's the perfect blend of TFP's sharp, angular look and the G1 color scheme! The cheek vents in particular look great in silver.

3. Bass X0

Bass X0 Captain Commando

News Credits:
    I think Alternators, Animated, Rescue Bots and Masterpiece have been the only Transformers brands (ignoring the little gimmick lines like Kre-O, Construct-Bots and Robot Heroes) that have had only had new molds throughout their range that were not previously used in an earlier line. Even the movie line repainted a few Cybertron and Energon molds as store exclusives.

4. Fenrys

Fenrys Formerly Tigatron2002

News Credits:
    Is there any way to put the head from the one step figure on the warrior soundwave from rid15? The paint separation giving him a face plate looks amazing

5. Shattered Trousers

Shattered Trousers That thing Ratchet needed.

News Credits:
    Unfortunately, no.

1-step Soundwave's head is riveted onto a swing bar that brings his head into place during transformation.

20180815_140954~01.jpg

Warrior Class Soundwave has a ball-jointed head, with the socket on the torso.

20180815_141032~01.jpg

If you want Soundwave to have a gray faceplate you'll have to paint it on yourself.

~L~

• Like Like x 1
  6. Fenrys

News Credits:
    Darn, was hoping it’d be an easy swap. Wonder if they plan on releasing a new warrior class or doing a repaint of the rid warrior in cyberverse. A few clever paint apps here and there and it wouldn’t look too far off the evergreen design

7. Shattered Trousers

News Credits:
    There was, once (and only once), a variant of Warrior Class Soundwave found, with a faceplate molded onto the blue segment of the head.

It's possible this alternate tooling was intended for reuse of the Warrior Class mold as a generic, what we now know to be called "Evergreen," version of Soundwave.

I suspect, based on nothing but paranoia and the messages I received when I removed my tinfoil hat, the Warrior Class Soundwave mold might not fit into the current Warrior Class budget.

What may have been intended when the mold was made may be impossible now that the budget goalposts have been moved.

~L~

8. Fenrys

News Credits:
    Even the regular release of warrior soundwave seems to have the face plate molded into the red plastic, unless my eyes are playing tricks on me, but I very distinctly see the mouth plate shape in his visor

9. Shattered Trousers

News Credits:
    That is, indeed a trick of the light.

The front of the red lightpipe plastic piece is completely smooth, but under most lighting conditions you can see the contours of the back of Soundwave's head showing through.

20180815_145446~01.jpg

That notch molded into the back of Soundwave's head is the major culprit.

~L~

Edit: Added a photo.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Fenrys

News Credits:
    Weird, because from the front it really does look exactly like the shape of the mouth plate in the artwork

11. Shattered Trousers

News Credits:
    It is a very weird coincidence.

When the news first broke about a variant head sculpt I misunderstood the description.
    I thought it was the clear red piece newly molded with a raised mouthplate.

Every store I saw a Soundwave hanging on the pegs I would think I had found the variant, then I would inspect them more closely and see that they were just the regular version.

The whole affair is made even stranger by the fact that RiD Soundwave doesn't have a faceplate in the show, so the toy is show-accurate, but the box art does have a faceplate - creating expectation that Soundwave should have a faceplate.

~L~

• Like Like x 1
  12. Bass X0

Bass X0 Captain Commando

News Credits:
    After seeing reviews of new Cyberverse toys online, repainting RiD toys will give little kids who were too young for them originally a better toy to play with than the terrible new Cyberverse toys.

13. Bass X0

Bass X0 Captain Commando

News Credits:
    So no different than 1984 Bumblebee having a faceplate on his toy and toy packaging but not in the cartoon. A lot of the toys were different back then to how they appeared in the show.

It still happening today is just a continuing trend.

14. Shattered Trousers

News Credits:
    I can't argue with you there. I really enjoy all the RiD toys I have in my collection, even the gimmick-dominated ones, but I can't bring myself to buy any new Cyberverse molds.

I think the character designs look cool, and I expect I will watch the show (even if I wasn't blown away by the Windblade vs. Thundercracker short that was released), but none of the new toys are calling out to me.

That's a pity, because the stores nearest to me are putting a much stronger emphasis on Cyberverse toys than they are anything else.

~L~

15. Shattered Trousers

News Credits:
    That's also true although, in the interest of transparency, I put a lot less expectation on the relationship between the G1 toys and the G1 cartoon. Not because of nostalgia, but because that whole fly-by-night operation was a bit of a mess that somehow worked out in the end.

Chris McFeely has got some wonderful videos on the subject up on YouTube.
    The Art of The Transformers episode 2 is a real eye-opener!

I think it's safe to say that none of the characters in RID 2015 were designed under such haphazard circumstances.

~L~