Cyberverse is trash

Discussion in 'Transformers Cyberverse and Cartoon Discussion' started by IamMachineNeverSleep, Sep 15, 2019.

1. Scrapmaker

Scrapmaker Miniautoquintessoboticon

It's not outright stated, but yeah, he shares the general body structure given to Alchemist, apparently sees the future via lenses, and Bumblebee actually mentions the rumor that he's one of the Primes.

Plus he transforms into...something that makes everyone stand down when it looks like there's going to be a shoot out in his bar.

Ah. Is that from the Covenant? Because, yeah, I didn't bother reading much about it after I read about Optimus being the Thirteenth. Personally, if I was going to make anyone a reincarnation of one of the Thirteen, I'd probably pick Rodimus. Or maybe I wouldn't, because then it would undermine the story of the underdog rising to greatness on his own. On the other hand, he's already chosen by a nebulously mystical crystal ball...

• Like Like x 1
  2. Cha Chi

Cha Chi Minimondomayhem

News Credits:
    I concede it. It does say he is thirteen in the covenant, that much is stated! Thirteens name is not thirteen, that was just used as disguise. Thirteen was previously called Optimus. Alpha Trion refers to him being him unmistakably.

However there is still some ambiguity, i think about descendant reincarnation whatever, i am not going to contest it... I finally sat down looked through the Covenant and it is has been a long day.

I brought it up with @Autobot Burnout up originally because i don't like the idea of him being jesus either and think it much better the other way.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
  3. tigatron2002

tigatron2002 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I agree, I dislike Optimus as Robo Jesus, rodimus was supposed to be the chosen one, Optimus was just a good leader

• Like Like x 1
  4. Cha Chi

Cha Chi Minimondomayhem

News Credits:
    Well i can see premise for the idea, it might come from g1 where he is like the moral daddy of the autobots etc so can see how they continued that idea to jesus. When doing the Primes they litrally made him a Prime. :/

5. tigatron2002

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    But in doing so they’ve made recent primes unrelatable (mainly prime and rid15). If prime is like the moral daddy of the autobots he is also supposed to be the engaged father, not the distant father that occasionally vomits “epic” monologues

• Like Like x 4
  6. Cha Chi

Cha Chi Minimondomayhem

News Credits:
    Well like the Primes themselves after defeating Unicron they have no purpose so Optimus has no purpose after Tfprime. The leader role goes to bee and OPs purpose is something probably not too useful and so his shine fades.

Possibly something to look out for in a new show. Purpose.

7. tigatron2002

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    but even during tf prime, prime wasnt very likeable. he was static, monotone and not a dynamic character at all

• Like Like x 2
  8. Cha Chi

Cha Chi Minimondomayhem

News Credits:
    Yes that was the criticism, i suppose in G1 he is just a little warmer and can banter and laugh at end of an episode.

In prime he is solely/wholly focused on the danger, protection and repairing cybertron. I personally like that, it sets the tone and stakes in the show. The other characters do much of the other stuff.

• Like Like x 2
  9. tigatron2002

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    but there was no stakes in prime, least not for the autobots. bulkheads irrepairable injury? all better 3 episodes later. autobot deaths? cliffjumper was the only onscreen one. banter and warmth is important to develop a connection to characters, but then i grew up on beast wars which i feel was much better at setting tone and stakes (maximals actually died in that show) while also giving everyone distinct, non grandiose personalities. the biggest failings of prime are its "stakes" that didnt mean anything and its portrayal of optimus

• Like Like x 1
  10. Gzstg

Gzstg Well-Known Member

don't forget about the predacon deaths either quite a few of them died as well.

• Like Like x 1
  11. tigatron2002

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    yep, only reason i didnt mention them along with the maximals is because prime did kill off cons, they were just afraid to upset the autobot status quo too much. hell they didnt even add any autobot cast members as regulars until near the end of season 2 despite having wheeljack ready to go in the 7th episode of the series

• Like Like x 1
  12. Slaskia

Slaskia Well-Known Member

I think one of the (many) issues with Prime is that there is no clear indication of how much time had passed between episodes. Bulkhead could have been recovering for months for all we know! There's no obvious passage of seasons (I think they cheated on this by putting the Autobot base in a desert and the Cons in a flying ship), no mention of holidays. Heck, the only time a specific day of the week was ever mentioned was in 'Scrapheap' (It's Saturday, no school!). Not helping is the human characters are always in the same clothes. Not saying they should do a date stamp at the start of each ep...just little hints of time passing (show halloween deco in one ep while in another show christmas ones). Without those cues, it can be every easy to think the entirety of the show took place over a week or two in universe.

Still...I see the point of there being no stakes. Everyone on the 'good' side got a hefty dose of plot armor (heck I still scratch my head over the ep 'Hurt' where Wheeljack got the scrap kicked out of him to the point where he SHOULD BE laid up in Medbay...yet he just...limps away without even letting Ratchet look at him). Meanwhile Starscream gets nearly beaten to death (and is visibly shown to be so)...Dreadwing get's a hole blasted through his spark chamber...etc

• Like Like x 2
  13. Cha Chi

Cha Chi Minimondomayhem

News Credits:
    The reason we all know(i think at least) bots were not killed off was because they couldnt afford to model new characters. They struggled in that department. That and they werent sure who to kill off. Perhaps they should have saved cliffjumper until later, let the kids get really attached to him then kill him(i kid)... i suppose if you count the characters that really didn't have parts like the lab full of predacons they could have killed 3 total autobots in cliffjumper tailgate and seaspray.

Let's remember this is a cartoon we are talking about. How often are time lapses accounted for between episodes and main characters killed off.

14. tigatron2002

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    and yet they did a complete character model for wheeljack in episode 7 but didnt really take full advantage of him till season 3 and also fairly consistently introduced new decepticons

15. Slaskia

Slaskia Well-Known Member

They had the opportunity to kill off Bulkhead...and make Wheeljack Miko's new guardian (whom kind of acted like a secondary guardian to begin with): already uncontrollable human with an equally uncontrollable Wrecker?

They could have killed Raf off (and result in increased tension between the humans and Team Prime).

Perhaps Ratchet could have failed in fixing Bee's T-Cog, forcing them to actually go through with that transplant, or get a T-Cog from another source (cause if you think about it...the T-Cog is kind of required for him to use his blades and internal medical tools....).

As mentioned before, Wheeljack should have been incapacitated for a while. Optimus should have stayed dead and Should-have-been-Hot-Rod Smokescreen become Prime.

The partial cyberforming of Earth should have sent the US government (if not the world) into a fit! Another opportunity to strain relations with humanity...and if Prime stayed dead with Smokescreen needing to take those reigns to try to smooth things over on top of trying to get the Team back together? Possibly while being hunted by MECH and other 'anti-alien robot' groups that would no doubt form?

Just...a few things I would have done differently.

I was going to mention that last post, but I hit 'post' by accident and had to quickly finish the thought I had at the time. Not very often, from what I recall. I think that's partly dependent on the show. No point in showing time passage if the show is more or less a bunch of 'one-offs' (like say, the Simpsons?) where there's no overarching main plot throughout the series (or at least by season).

[half-sarcasm] Maybe his altmode 'packet' wasn't complete at the time and they forgot about until 'Loose Cannons'...hence the 'alt-mode' reveal at the end of that ep? Just a wild guess....

• Like Like x 1
  16. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP AKA Beve Stuscemi

News Credits:
    But if you really think about it a T-cog makes no sense when you consider how many individual, non-linked moving parts go into transformation.

The idea that a single component guides your entire body's movement in one specific way but not others is astoundingly stupid and especially redundant in Transformers. Would a lost T-cog then prevent Bumblebee from bending his arms? I mean, it's part of his transformation. It should be disabled. This gets worse when you think of series where characters could half-transform whenever they wanted, like Animated.

Sorry, I heard "T-cog" and just had (yes, the word is had) to remind everyone why it's a stupid concept. (that, in all fairness, Prime didn't create) At least with other transformation-removal plot devices it usually involves some kind of programming block or something that specifically targets transformation and not normal movement.

Makes me wonder how, like, G1 Windcharger would deal with being "unable" to transform by putting his arms to his sides and bending his legs at the knee. Like if your transformation is just simple yoga, how does removing a component disable that?

17. Cavadus

Cavadus Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    So I had watched the first season of Cyberverse and thought it was cool. Mostly okay with some nice lore flourishes here and there but I'm currently on episode 12 of season 2 and Cyberverse is straight-up my second favorite Transformers show behind only the original G1 Sunbow run.

It just keeps surprising me, the characters are all interesting (especially the Decepticons), the lore dives are kinda nuts. It came completely out of left field for me but I'm loving it.

The only thing dragging the show down is, unfortunately, Optimus. He's the typical stoic, no-nonsense commander and his voice actor is pretty bad, IMO. I wish they'd give him some personality. G1 Dad Prime would fit perfectly in this show and it's a shame they didn't go that route. He's the only character who isn't having any fun.

EDIT: Might have to eat some crow here. Optimus' voice actor is still pretty bad but I just got to the "Party Down" episode and they actually made him a little fun :) 

EDITx2: OMG, I think the Grimlock/Arcee team-up episode might be my favorite one.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2019
    • Like Like x 2
  18. BelnadesPistol

BelnadesPistol Banned

That's Optimus's character. Literally all Optimuses except for Movie and Unicron trilogy are that way.

19. tigatron2002

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    g1 prime wasnt quite as bad as recent primes though, its like they took one aspect of g1 prime and cranked it to 11 with most recent incarnations. animated prime wasnt stoic and grandiose either

• Like Like x 5
  20. BelnadesPistol

BelnadesPistol Banned

I have to agree

• Like Like x 1