Cyberverse Dinobots characterization

Discussion in 'Transformers Cyberverse and Cartoon Discussion' started by supernova222, Jan 18, 2021.

1. SaberPrime

SaberPrime System Pride

That is kind of how I was imagining it as the only way it would make sense. Cause of Grimlock's back story there's no way to fit them in all being from the same universe but they could be from alternate universes where they filled a "Grimlock" type role on their own respective Ark ships.

Not sure how I lost you. It's really quite simple.

A true gender swap is LITERALLY the same character with a different gender. Petra Parker, Mar-Vell, The Doctor, The Mistress/Missy, Cosmos, Acid Storm, Skywarp, Red Alert, Airazor, Override, these are all examples of gender swaps. The Doctor and The Mistress are the only literal gender swaps I really don't mind since it's previously been established that they change every atom of their molecular structure every time they regenerate anyway. If every Doctor had to look like William Hartnel and every Master had to look like Roger Delgado then I'd have a problem with it.

A totally separate character who happens to share some superficial similarities to another character of the opposite gender is not a gender swap. May Parker(Peter's daughter not to be confused with his aunt who this May was named after.), Gwen Stacy, Barbara Gordon, Kate Kane, Carol Danvers, and Clobber are all examples females who have established themselves as totally separate individuals. You could call them female versions of male characters figuratively but not literally.

And Kate Kane has figuratively been called a female Bruce Wayne but Silas has also figuratively been called a Human Megatron, doesn't mean they're literally the same character.

2. Bee427

Bee427 Still here and queer

Don't patronize me.
    It's still my opinion that Clobber is a gender-swap of Lugnut. Sorry that you disagree.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Cardion

Cardion Courage and Good Cheer!

News Credits:
    I would love to see some more Snarl - He's been so underutilized, he'd be like a blank canvas.

Most people have certain expectations about the others:
    Slag = Angry
    Sludge = Slow and Sweet
    Swoop = Courageous and Excitable
    I think you could build on those basics.

However, Snarl is more known for his absences than for his appearances. There's so much to work with - Is he an artist? Is he a slacker? Is he a spy? Is he secretly smart? Does he dream of electric sheep?

Who is Snarl really?
    il_570xN.1427592942_14gw.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  4. SilverOptimus

SilverOptimus Movie News Monster Moderator News Staff

News Credits:
  5. Bee427

• Like Like x 4
  6. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Be strong enough to be gentle

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    I never said that, I even stated multiple times you are free to disagree, but I figured it was only fair I explain fully and comprehensively how I feel and why I feel that way. I think it's only fair that if I throw shade on a show I should give a good explanation.

They are not necessary for deeper meaning, not at all, but they show in depth just how much care, passion, and effort went into the world, and that nothing wasn't thought out or detailed to some degree. Even insignificant elements from the show were expanded upon and given some kind of story, like the underground street racers for example, characters nobody cared about because they're just unnamed incidentals, but they all got names and little bios because why not? It's that kind of stuff I love about Animated and the Almanacs on top of the main story.

That's fine, I don't mean anything I say in a mean way either, but I do feel passionately about TFA and the current state of Transformers media. Many of my problems with Cyberverse translate directly to WFC as well, and even the comics to a lesser extent. And the only reason I'm replying now is because the thread bumped and I didn't see that first part at first and wanted to clarify, I'm not trying to restart the argument or force you to change your opinion.

Basically my feelings (which are all my own) are that I'm just not seeing the passion in modern Transformers like I did during Animated, or even Prime, and I don't know why it left.

• Like Like x 3
  7. Atharun18999

Atharun18999 Xantium Pilot

I hope they don't make the Dinobots idiots. I'd rather then be the rough and less civilized crew.

As for the other discussions. I typically am not a fan of gender/race/sexuality swapping characters for any reason (and I say this as a minority myself). It's lazy writing. The Rain Makers are one of the very FEW times I would say it makes sense though. Starscream has his seekers. Slipstream needs a group and the Rain Makers were never really a prominent group in any fiction aside from the current IDW stuff and even then, it's a fairly minor part so using them fill that role works since they were so minor to begin with. If they make Clober Lugnut's sister or something that's cool but don't replace a character with a tokenized version when that character was to fleshed out before. It's just lame.

Edit-Damn fire tablets and their autocorrect

Last edited: Jan 23, 2021
    • Like Like x 2
  8. BigRed

BigRed Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Someone that honest to god praises the writing in TFA has absolutely no business talking about what is and isn't good as if he had some kind of authority on it. You're out of your depth dude, and it gets specifically silly when you seriously try to claim that "fat derrick wyatt drew lots of cameos that meant absolutely nothing and never will mean anything" magically adds depth to the show when all of that "living breathing world" was an ENTIRELY underdeveloped mass of incidentals that existed to softly react to the nonsensical plot of "Sentinel Prime, the incompetent idiot that exists only to make Optimus look good, is now the leader of the planet somehow". You honestly feel like some kind of 30 year old putting more depth into their nostalgia cartoon than it honestly had. What is the SOULFUL masterplan before the absolute trash that was the Wasp plot line? The static-as-hell Optimus that we are somehow led to believe became a GREAT LEADER when he actualy never really changes and the world around him just sometimes reacts positively or negatively to him? The fact that they can't even make a drop of Ratchet's backstory make sense because on the same episode they give us the lame brained backstory for Omega Supreme they also show us that you can control the thing from inside fairly easily and thus the half assed MORAL IMPLICASHUNS were never needed to exist?

It's absurd to genuinely try to draw a line in the sand and then fall upon the blade for an equally sloppy show. The only thing TFA has over Cyberverse is production quality, and even that is far from a big leap because outside of the competnt editing of CN's editing facilities the animation is fucking trash. The TFA Optimus design you praised can't even be drawn walking down a ramp properly without looking awkward, and that's such an absurdly low standard to fail to meet.

9. SaberPrime

SaberPrime System Pride

I wouldn't say "for any reason" and lump them all together as just lazy writing. A lot of things are situational and should be taken on a case by case basis.

The actor who played Sulu in the original series was unhappy with the decision to make his character gay in the reboots. George Takai is gay in real life so it's not that he's homophobic, it's that his character had already been established as a straight man in the original series so suddenly making Sulu gay just for the sake of minority representation didn't make any sense. George has said they he loves the idea of introducing more gay and lesbian characters but that they should be NEW characters or at least do it with someone who's sexuality hadn't already been established in universe so that it doesn't come off as a lazy rewrite from someone who clearly doesn't know of the established lore of the thing they're writing for.

This is a sentiment I mostly agree with myself, I hate change just for the sake of change. If it doesn't add anything or improve the story in some way then the change doesn't need to happen. If you're revealing something new about a character that ADDS to that character, that's fine, but if you're revealing something that contradicts what we already know about that character it's wrong. If you're changing something that fixes a plot hole in the original source material, go for it, but you're creating more plot holes than you're fixing leave it the hell alone.

• Like Like x 1
  10. jungle penguins

jungle penguins Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'm confused at this comparison. I know they're the first images that pop up in the wiki, but you're comparing a show model with what looks to be, promotional stock art? Granted, the Cyberverse 3D model isn't that big of an improvement in design, but there is a noticeable difference. Just like how Animated's toy package art was of lower quality than the show characters. And not to mention this feels like a whole 2D vs. 3D thing.
    118-02.png
    [​IMG]

While very much fluff, the toy and show synergy was at its best with Animated because of those cameos. That had more to do with Wyatt being tight-knit with everyone but it's an aspect of Transformers that's not as common anymore as teams grew more separate.

• Like Like x 2
  11. supernova222

supernova222 junkion

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    no it looks like the two movies will be broken up to represent the 4th season, like what happened with season 5 of futurama

• Like Like x 1
  12. Bee427

Damn. I'll still be holding out hope, though.

• Like Like x 1
  13. supernova222

supernova222 junkion

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    looking back, even though cyberverse does stick to typical blocky looks, i would love if the dinobots have some of the more stylistic traits of the TFA dinobots; swoop being thin and lancy, slag being squat and wide and maybe sludge being huge and bulky

• Like Like x 1
  14. Atharun18999

I for one have never been and never will be a fan of over stylized designs. Give me simpler designs that honor the essence of the character any day. Animated's style is the reason I struggle to watch it. Cyberverse is the best these characters have looked since GI and Prime IMO. That's just my opinion though. I'd take these designs over the Netflix WFC stuff any day. Just wish they had 4 fingers and certain character's didn't have mouths like Grimlock, Prime, and Wheeljack.

I am excited to see wat the Dinobots look like.

• Like Like x 4
  15. Bee427

Me too! Personally I think the Cyberverse designs are pretty complicated and I have trouble drawing them sometimes but anyway- I like how they took the evergreen designs and gave them some more pizzazz. I've got issues with Animated's style too - the fact that everyone's legs are bending the wrong way and that it looks like they're leaning forward constantly is really distracting for me. The designs seem like a nightmare to draw consistently.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Novaburnhilde

Novaburnhilde シン・ブリュンヒルド

News Credits:
    This is borderline like someone being smug about how long Teen Titans Go! has lasted compared to the original and somehow coming to the conclusion that TTG is better because it got a theatrical movie.

Yes I'm aware Cyberverse isn't as obnoxiously awful as TTG but compared to TFA it may as well be that bad since it doesn't even come close, they're like night and day.

Animated is always gonna be remembered as one of the best TV iterations of the franchise that had its lifespan tragically cut short, while no one will really remember Cyberverse in a few years time.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2021
  17. Bee427

I just think it's funny how it's been over a decade since Animated ended with nary a 4th season in sight no matter how many people demanded one, and now not even a year after Cyberverse's last episode, 2 movies have been announced (and there's even a video game!). I'm not being malicious, I just think it's tragically ironic for Animated fans.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Atharun18999

I'd disagree. TV viewing was very different back when animated aired. Fewer and fewer people, watch tv, especially kids now a days. CN has had a consistent drop in viewership due to both content, quality, and just overall changing trends. More younger kids are in to games and streaming, especially mobile. Both are far more accessible now as well. Older fans tend to turn more towards streaming or on demand.

Cyberverse seems to be a bit of a shot in the arm for the series that animated wasn't. While animated isn't my cup of tea, I acknowledge fans seemed to really enjoy it but that doesn't mean it moved the needle. Cyberverse is also widely available via youtube for free for those who, as mentioned above, don't have access to traditional channels.

As for style, I look at it like this. Animated is like 'The Batman' while Cyberverse is like BTAS. Animated is way more stylized and interprets the characters differently where as, like BTAS, Cyberverse lends itself more towards the traditional presentation of the characters with a simpler design that calls back the OG look but still brings in fresh elements such as comic characters. That's what I prefer as a fan. It's why I like Young Justice season 1&2 designs over something like Flashpoint where they looked like Aeon Flux style designs at times.

As to the OP, we've all gotten way off topic and someone should start a separate thread.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2021
    • Like Like x 3
  19. supernova222

supernova222 junkion

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    OP here, yes this got waaaay off topic like i never imagined

also, that batman analogy was one of he greatest comparisons ive ever heard in relating TFA and cyberverse. i wish more people could understand that point.

20. BWIguanusfan2

BWIguanusfan2 Well-Known Member

imagine some how the allspark will turn the skeletons of Grimlock's dinosaur friends into cybertornians, similar how the allspark fragments worked in animated. if this is the case and all the dinosaurs shown in the episode become transformers here's my guesses what their personalities are going to be.

Slag/Slug: He is the lancer of the team to Grimlock, just as he was characterized in g1. They might throw a bone to him not liking Optimus some where in there. I imagine he and Grimlock will get in a fight at some point during the movie over who should lead the dinobots.
    Sludge/Slog: He'll be the dumb one (Like geewun) but he'll talk normally. He'll always (attempt to) follow orders given to him by Grimlock.
    Snarl: He'll talk in the classic dinobot style of speaking all the time, but he's the third smartest member of the group. He prefers Slag/slug to be leader of the dinobots.
    Swoop: He'll have the Rattrap-like personality from FoC.
    Scorn: He is peaceful in nature. he feels awkward and out of place on land and feels undeserving of being part of the team. Maybe at towards the end of the film a problem occurs that only he can solve due to his aquatic nature and he feels reassured that he deserves to be a part of the team.
    slash: Since Velociraptors are the clever type, Slash will an average fighter, but she will be a brilliant scientist!

Last edited: Jan 28, 2021
    • Like Like x 1